Cooler for 1.6 Duron

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Has anyone had any experience with Speeze "WhisperRock", model 5F263B1M3G on this cpu? At Newegg there are about 160 reviews for this HSF that are for the most part positive. Price...$7.00+5.99sh=$13.00 Almost sounds too good to be true. Is that an oxymoron?

Thanks

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Its actually supposed to be a quite good budget cooler, and for your 1.6Ghz Duron should cool adequately with a good noise level. No oxymoron, just good cheap asian manufacturing :wink:

<b>don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand</b>

...<i><b><A HREF="http://home.graffiti.net/error_911:graffiti.net/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I beleive the whisper rock is the same heatsink as the falcon rock just with a diffrent fan. My falcon rock heatsink is great, i am passivly cooling my overclocked tully with it, also the fan on the falcon rock is very quiet i bet the whisper rock is inaudiable.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Ikonomi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
What a coincidence. I just installed the WhisperRock II on a Duron 1.6 in a computer I built for my niece for Christmas.

The WhisperRock works fine, though I didn't really take the time to monitor the CPU temperature. I believe it was reading somewhere around 38 C in the BIOS, which is no indication of normal performance. At any rate, it will keep your Duron running adequately cool, and the fan happens to be extremely quiet. If you're standing a few feet away from the computer, you can't tell it's on.

There are a couple caveats, though, which made installation a little bit of a nail-biter. First, the mounting clip only has ONE notch on both sides. I'd much prefer to have three, but as the cooler isn't very heavy, I guess I can let it slide. Second, the screwdriver slot in the bracket is very small, so you have to either use a skinny flat-head screwdriver, or risk stabbing your motherboard (never a good option).

All in all, I'd say it's a good cooler, and so quiet. I'm using one in the next non-XPC computer I build. Great for the price.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Thank you for your input on the install. It seems a lot of people hold the same opinion as you. Good stuff for a first time scratch builder like myself.