Sign in with
Your question

loading maps

Last response: in Video Games
October 5, 2003 11:11:44 PM

Let's say a game like battlefeild 1942 when a map loads. Is it an upgrade in the harddrive or the memory (512mb of ram for example) that will make it load faster? Or is it both?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 10/05/03 07:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : loading maps

October 6, 2003 2:55:28 AM

A new hard drive might help if yours is nearly full. If you happen to have a slow, 5400 RPM hard drive then a new one might help in that case as well. However, slow load times in BF1942 are usually due to lack of sufficient memory.

When I had 256MB a map loaded in about 2 minutes. I added a spare 128MB module (all I had on hand) and load times went down to 20 seconds.

www.3dspotlight.com (I forget the new name/URL) had a BF1942 tweak guide. It mentioned that BF1942 can actually use up to 1 GB of memory but noticeable performance gains stop after 768 MB of memory. There is (IIRC) only a very small gain going from 512MB to 768MB.

Unfortunately, with the Desert Combat MOD my load times are up to about 1 minute. The original game still remains roughly the same at about 20-25 seconds.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
October 6, 2003 10:43:58 PM

I already have 512 mb of ram and the load time are about 1 min and 30 seconds. BUT I play with the merciless mod. So do u think this mod makes my load times longer? It seems to make them longer. This is the info I got about my hard drive:

Hard Disk (C:)  : 38.2GB (8.3GB, 22% Free) (NTFS)

I took this information on my harddrive with a program called SiSoftware Sandra. But when I clicked on "my computer" and clicked on my c drive it says:

free space: 8.25 gb

total size: 38.1 gb

So which one is correct? Do u think it would be possible if I get a new harddrive and more mb of ram and get about 10 seconds load times with merciles or the other mods like DC?
Related resources
October 6, 2003 10:57:31 PM

I have the same size hard drive, I'm running FAT32, and I have less free space than you. I don't think your hard drive or lack of free space that is the problem.

I'm not familiar with the Merciless mod but maybe it is slowing things down. How are your load times on the base game? Does the game play smoothly once the maps do load?

Sorry, I don't have an answer yet as to how to speed up load times.

October 6, 2003 11:47:15 PM

I'm supprised u don't have merciless. It's a owesome mod that adds more textures to 6 or 7 differente maps and adds like arround 100 new and much improved sounds FX. I like it alot. The site is: http://www.planetdungeonsiege.com/mercilesscreations/

In that site it says that the current version is merciless 4 but it's not. Merciless 4 1.4 is the current version. The guy in charge of the site is having personel problems So that's problebly why he didn't update the site. So one place you can go dl the new version is here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/search.aspx?q="Merciless 1942"

The only problem with this mod is that you can only join unpure servers like these ctf mode servers. The are titled something like these:

Bredbandsbola get BF#01
EATW@HiNet-bf 1942 ctf FF
EREA 51 BF ctf
EAUK05-ctf server
some or all nvidia servers

My load times on the base game are faster. My question was:

Will upgrading my HD and adding more mg of ram make my load time with mods last only about 10 seconds. (or less then 1min and 30 secs. I don't think u know, it's OK.
October 7, 2003 11:12:45 PM

I finally found the BF1942 Tweak Guide. It wasn't at TechSpot.com (AKA 3DSpotlight.com) as I had first thought. It's at <A HREF="http://WWW.TweakTown.com" target="_new">WWW.TweakTown.com&lt;/A>.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything that would be helpful in this instance other than what I previously mentioned.

Here's a link.

<A HREF="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=4..." target="_new">http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=4...;/A>

Perhaps you will see something that I missed.

And as you surmised, I don't know if more memory and a bigger HD will help.

October 8, 2003 5:35:02 PM

It appears that the difference between SiSoftware Sandra and My Computer are attributable to rounding up/down.

May I suggest before spending additional money you check to ensure your harddrive is set up and performing properly (i.e, as fast as it should). I've never run the SiSoftware benchmark, but asume it reports on harddrive data/transfer speed. So post your results in Hard Disk forum and get confirmation it's performing OK or suggestions to make it so.

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 10/08/03 01:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 8, 2003 5:40:10 PM

BTW, go to Hard Disk forum, check out HDD FAQ! item .04 if you haven't already done so.

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
!