Country Stores may be bought out, rumor...

Store Closings may be temporarily on hold while buyout option is
considered... I heard from two members of management (each in a
different state) and another non-management person that Gateway is
putting on hold any plans to close the stores while another company
gives serious consideration to buying out JUST the Stores. I've heard
the source of this rumor to be ... the new CEO Wayne Inouye
accidentally spilling the beans on Mondays conf. call...

Just heard on MSNBC that Gateway was closing all their stores. Looks like
the rumor mill was right.

"RazeNruin" <myjunkemails@charter.net> wrote in message
> Store Closings may be temporarily on hold while buyout option is
> considered... I heard from two members of management (each in a
> different state) and another non-management person that Gateway is
> putting on hold any plans to close the stores while another company
> gives serious consideration to buying out JUST the Stores. I've heard
> the source of this rumor to be ... the new CEO Wayne Inouye
> accidentally spilling the beans on Mondays conf. call...

"RazeNruin" <myjunkemails@charter.net> wrote in message
> Store Closings may be temporarily on hold while buyout option is
> considered... I heard from two members of management (each in a
> different state) and another non-management person that Gateway is
> putting on hold any plans to close the stores while another company
> gives serious consideration to buying out JUST the Stores. I've heard
> the source of this rumor to be ... the new CEO Wayne Inouye
> accidentally spilling the beans on Mondays conf. call...

Someone should tell Ted. I just received this e-mail from him...

Hi. I'm Ted Waitt, co-founder and chairman of Gateway, Inc.

We really appreciate your business, and I want to let you know about some
changes we're making.

You may be aware that Gateway recently acquired eMachines, Inc., making us
the third-largest PC maker in the U.S. This is a development we're really
excited about and I'm pleased to let you know that eMachines' CEO, Wayne
Inouye, has become Gateway's new CEO while I'll continue to remain actively
involved as chairman. During his time at eMachines, Wayne developed an
incredible reputation among customers and within the PC industry, evidenced
by a recent PC World report that gave eMachines the number one spot on
several reliability and service measures.

So what does this mean for you, the Gateway customer?

There are still a lot of details we need to work out as part of the merger,
but basically, you can expect even better prices across a wider line of
exciting new technology products and services, from low cost eMachines PCs
to Gateway's best selling Plasma TV and award-winning line of digital
cameras, mp3 players, home theater products, and more. And more places to
buy those products too.

As part of Gateway's new direction, we've also made the difficult decision
to close our 188 Gateway stores across the nation. Our stores have been a
source of pride for Gateway since the mid-'90s, but despite enormous effort
we haven't been able to run them profitably. And we believe that our
customers will be served very well by the increasing availability of our
products, as well as through our existing phone and Web outlets
(1-800-Gateway and www.gateway.com).

My pledge to you is that you'll continue to have "a friend in the business"
in Gateway. I think you'll find that our Web and phone sales teams are the
best in the industry. When we started this company nearly 20 years ago, our
goal was to offer products directly to the customer, providing them with the
best value for their money and unparalleled service and support. We remain
committed to the very same principles today.

If you've used one of our retail service centers, rest assured you can count
on the same friendly and knowledgeable service you've been getting at your
store by utilizing our other service and support options. To see a full
listing of our customer care options, please visit support.gateway.com.

Gateway is a solid company and the acquisition of eMachines - and the many
growth opportunities it presents - means we'll become even stronger going
forward. As we grow, we look forward to continuing to serve your technology
needs for a long, long time to come.
Sincerely,

Ted Waitt

Scott

EdH,

I just got the same email tonight.

Scott

EdH wrote:

> [...]
> in Gateway. I think you'll find that our Web and phone sales teams are the
> best in the industry. When we started this company nearly 20 years ago, our
> goal was to offer products directly to the customer, providing them with the
> best value for their money and unparalleled service and support. We remain
> committed to the very same principles today.
>
> If you've used one of our retail service centers, rest assured you can count
> on the same friendly and knowledgeable service you've been getting at your
> store by utilizing our other service and support options. To see a full
> listing of our customer care options, please visit support.gateway.com.
>
> Gateway is a solid company and the acquisition of eMachines - and the many
> growth opportunities it presents - means we'll become even stronger going
> forward. As we grow, we look forward to continuing to serve your technology

Woo hoo! I got my severance package! :)

The 9th will be last day of business... the 16th last day of work...

and the beat goes on...

razenruin,

i'm happy that you received a severance package.

can you convince anyone to have a sale at the stores next week?

indera

> Woo hoo! I got my severance package! :)
>
> The 9th will be last day of business... the 16th last day of work...
>
> and the beat goes on...

big deal
in with the way things are going
i should run for mayor