Recommendation for firebox or info site.

hello,

I am in need of a hardware firewall (firebox) ethernet-ed to a dsl modem
(don't have the modem yet). Firewall will connect to a pc running xp pro
(currently up-to-date on up-grades). I am using it as a home pc, not
business. I do not want a router or nat box. I am looking for a full
hardware firewall (i guess they are called "fireboxes" these days).

I see that the technology has changed considerably since the last time
I bought a firewall (10 years ago). I am looking for a site that
can provide me with some reviews and comments about current firewall
technology so I can decide which one I should get. I have tried
tom's hardware, cnet, zdnet and a couple of others, but, they did not
have what I am looking for (or, at least, wasn't clever enough to
find it).

Of course, recomms. From the posters to this group are welcomed.

One question I have is: what are the differences between the ~$100. Boxes
(lynxsys), the ~$200 (netgear fvs318). Boxes and the next level, which
are $400+ (watchguard, sonicwall). Please do not answer with
"you get what you pay for" unless you can explain what this means. I
want to know what the extra $$ purchase.

tia,

g.

On 8 Jun 2004 01:08:26 -0700, googrps@yahoo.com (johnny dough) wrote:

> I am in need of a hardware firewall (firebox) ethernet-ed to a dsl modem
> (don't have the modem yet). Firewall will connect to a pc running xp pro
> (currently up-to-date on up-grades). I am using it as a home pc, not
> business. I do not want a router or nat box. I am looking for a full
> hardware firewall (i guess they are called "fireboxes" these days).

For a true, ICSA-certified firewall, I recommend the ZyXEL ZyWALL 2X.
It's quite affordable but has all the main features one would expect
from an enterprise-grade firewall. For more info, have a look at:

http://shopping.nowthor.com/0760559110178.html

In article <h0tbc0tu80ha5o6nglb4bg3rdo2ilbi74s@4ax.com>,
nospam@shopping.nowthor.com says...
> On 8 Jun 2004 01:08:26 -0700, googrps@yahoo.com (johnny dough) wrote:
> >
> > I am in need of a hardware firewall (firebox) ethernet-ed to a dsl modem
> > (don't have the modem yet). Firewall will connect to a pc running xp pro
> > (currently up-to-date on up-grades). I am using it as a home pc, not
> > business. I do not want a router or nat box. I am looking for a full
> > hardware firewall (i guess they are called "fireboxes" these days).
> >

> For a true, ICSA-certified firewall, I recommend the ZyXEL ZyWALL 2X.
> It's quite affordable but has all the main features one would expect
> from an enterprise-grade firewall. For more info, have a look at:

Are you a ZyWall vendor, reseller, or have other financial interest in
the company?

How many non-personal installs of these devices do you have?

What markets are you using them in?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:45:32 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

>In article <h0tbc0tu80ha5o6nglb4bg3rdo2ilbi74s@4ax.com>,
>nospam@shopping.nowthor.com says...
>> On 8 Jun 2004 01:08:26 -0700, googrps@yahoo.com (johnny dough) wrote:
>> >
>> > I am in need of a hardware firewall (firebox) ethernet-ed to a dsl modem
>> > (don't have the modem yet). Firewall will connect to a pc running xp pro
>> > (currently up-to-date on up-grades). I am using it as a home pc, not
>> > business. I do not want a router or nat box. I am looking for a full
>> > hardware firewall (i guess they are called "fireboxes" these days).
>> >

>> For a true, ICSA-certified firewall, I recommend the ZyXEL ZyWALL 2X.
>> It's quite affordable but has all the main features one would expect
>> from an enterprise-grade firewall. For more info, have a look at:
>
>Are you a ZyWall vendor, reseller, or have other financial interest in
>the company?

Yes, we are a ZyXEL Premium Partner.

>How many non-personal installs of these devices do you have?

Quite a few, from the ZyWALL 2 to the ZyWALL 70. All happy customers
with the product, the service and the pricing.

>What markets are you using them in?

Mostly SMB, no particular vertical market.

Thank you for your interest.

Mike

Splendid

"johnny dough" <googrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
> I am in need of a hardware firewall (firebox) ethernet-ed to a dsl
modem
> (don't have the modem yet). Firewall will connect to a pc running xp
pro
> (currently up-to-date on up-grades). I am using it as a home pc, not
> business. I do not want a router or nat box. I am looking for a full
> hardware firewall (i guess they are called "fireboxes" these days).
>
> I see that the technology has changed considerably since the last time
> I bought a firewall (10 years ago). I am looking for a site that
> can provide me with some reviews and comments about current firewall
> technology so I can decide which one I should get. I have tried
> tom's hardware, cnet, zdnet and a couple of others, but, they did not
> have what I am looking for (or, at least, wasn't clever enough to
> find it).
>
> Of course, recomms. From the posters to this group are welcomed.
>
> One question I have is: what are the differences between the ~$100.
Boxes
> (lynxsys), the ~$200 (netgear fvs318). Boxes and the next level, which
> are $400+ (watchguard, sonicwall). Please do not answer with
> "you get what you pay for" unless you can explain what this means. I
> want to know what the extra $$ purchase.

Well, yes you do get what you pay for. Usually its extra features such as
VPN clients, DMZs, content filtering and Anti Virus. Sometimes is better
support. Other times its a simple install & configuration.

Most of the people in here would recommend the Watchguard range (Firebox is
brand name of theirs I beleive). They have loads of features, good
documentation and superb support.

If you are just wanting to protect a single PC then perhaps a cheaper model
like the Netgear FVS318 would be fine. Personally my money would always go
to Watchguard.

"Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:<ca50rj$3nm$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>...
> "johnny dough" <googrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> Well, yes you do get what you pay for. Usually its extra features such as
> VPN clients, DMZs, content filtering and Anti Virus. Sometimes is better
> support. Other times its a simple install & configuration.
>
> Most of the people in here would recommend the Watchguard range (Firebox is
> brand name of theirs I beleive). They have loads of features, good
> documentation and superb support.
>
> If you are just wanting to protect a single PC then perhaps a cheaper model
> like the Netgear FVS318 would be fine. Personally my money would always go
> to Watchguard.

thanks for the info. i am looking at the fvs318. will check watchguard.

g.

In article <ca1cc0l931kvh2spn5oj22glr8fjm9j2gm@4ax.com>,
nospam@shopping.nowthor.com says...
> >Are you a ZyWall vendor, reseller, or have other financial interest in
> >the company?
> >

> Yes, we are a ZyXEL Premium Partner.

So, in a strict sense, your postings about ZyWall to every request about
a firewall or secure router, are on the verge of being spam. Now, if you
were to post NOT using your company sales/info site as the reference,
and posted a link to the ZyWall product vendors site, it would not be
spam.

Those of us that post in here, and have for a LONG time, don't have a
vested interest in the products we recommend - it makes those
recommendations more believable. We provide information on more than one
product and its strong/weak points.

I install about 120 firewalls each year, all different vendors, in all
areas of the US and one or two places outside the US. When you first
posted the product link I had not seen it before and am almost to the
point where I'll have time to contact the vendor and get a demo unit for
eval. Should I choose to install these for clients, I will not be
purchasing it from Nowthor due to your spamming the group with what
amounts to sales ads.

I will post my review of the product - with a link to the vendors site,
when I get time to complete the review process.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

TRENDING THREADS