Temperature of CPU with SP94

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I just installed a thermalright SP94 heatsink on a 2.6c CPU, it's my first time installing a heatsink. I did it with arctic silver 5. My CPU temperature reads 45 degress celcius, is it installed correctly? It's not overclocked. Seems a little too high, i was expecting better performance. Thanks, appreciate any help.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
What fan are you using? And what are you using to detect temperature?

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.276G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 252mhz 2.5-3-4-6 -XFX 5900 128meg 450/900 -SB audigy -120G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I'm using the recommeded fan which is the delta and i'm using abit eq to read the temp. Oh ya and my board is Abit IC7-Max3.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oldcolepotatoes on 12/19/03 03:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Use MBM5 to detect temperature.

Your temperature should be lower, i have SLK900U with 92mm Tornado, and i'm extremely overclocked, my idle temp's only 32C, load is 40C.

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.276G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 252mhz 2.5-3-4-6 -XFX 5900 128meg 450/900 -SB audigy -120G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I didn't install the stock heatsink fan at all, i installed the SP94 directly. I think it might be a bad connection between the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink. The weird thing is there's 2 sets of separate instructions on the thermalright website. Under the installation link on the thermalright homepage, the installation instructions show the standoffs with a small washer and a larger washer inserted into it. While under the download link, the instruction which are in PDF form state to insert the larger washer, and there's no mention of the smaller washer. The smaller washer increases the height between the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink a little. Do you think this might be the cause for the crappy temps? I chose to include the smaller washer as it seemed like it would be safer, of course this is baseless since i'm a stupid noob. I'm afraid that i'll press the heatsink down too hard. Is it safe to just go and screw it as tight as possible? And the downloaded instructions in the PDF form also mentioned that i should screw the heatsink on to the standoffs until the standoffs start to move. That's weird cause the standoffs are firmly in place to start with.

Maybe it's the way i applied the arctic sliver 5, i cannot follow the instructions exactly and twist the heat sink 1 or 2 degrees to spread the material as the standoffs are blocking.

Appreciate any help on this it's a real puzzler. Will log back in the next day and follow and instructions that you all might be able to provide, thanks again.

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I tried using an unwanted credit card to spread the thermal material but there were alot of streaks and the layer was not smooth. I removed the smaller washers and now my temp is 42 degrees celcius, a drop of 3 and this is at idle! I'm at a lost, i followed the instructions exactly. Though the part about "screwing the heatsink till the standoffs start moving a little" i did not get. Weird

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
First thing's first, what's your room temp? And remember that full load temps are SO much more important than idle as that's when your HS gets tested to see how well heat is disipitated, check those and tell us.

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.com" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
Not living in iraq, but still it's a toasty 30 degrees celcius plus on the average. I know that the thermal material takes bout 200 hours to set in, but still... 45 at idle is still damn high for a SP94. Even if temp at load is more important, i still shouldn't be getting 45 at idle, imagine at load! I could fry burgers on em. Do you think i should chuck more interface material? I followed the instructions on the arctic silver website and they used very little but i saw a review website chucking a whole teaspoon down on the IHS to test a heatsink.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I don't know if AS's website says so but before installing everything back on, after you apply the compound and put the HS on (tightly screwed and everything), take it off, check how the compound, see if there are places where the compound stayed at the same shape (the place didn't touch the HS) you can apply more as you see fit.

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.com" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
The new p4c's all run fairly hot.. but on average the temp is at 44c.. although i checked today and it read 50 .. that was after a good two weeks of it being on. This is with stock hsf and with arctic silver3.

When i applied the arctic silver i used their directions off of their site. I used a half BB sized drop right in the center and fastened the hsf on to it.
I then took it off and inspected it to see what it looked like. It looked exactly like they showed on the website a nice quarter sized circle.
They do say not to cover the whole heat spreader.. so you might want to check into it.

But i've never used a high end hsf so.. that's all the info i know based on stock cooling and arctic silver.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
because you have a P4, you don't need to spread it with a credit card. If you had an Athlon XP, it's necessary because there's no heatspreader covering the core. That said, go here: <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>
It's all you need to know about applying the compound. The P4 stuff is at the bottom. It worked for me. I have a swiftech MCX4000 Rev 2 with a Sanyo 92mm Denki and Arctic Silver Ceramique. Trust me, that [-peep-]'s a bitch to work with, but it does the job. My 2.6c is running smoothly (overclocked @ 3.25Ghz) at a cool 26 celsius idle and 46 celsius load. It would run cooler at load but I have Asus Q-fan enabled (to quiet things down a bit) so the fan RPM's only increase if they need to. Hope that link helps. And don't overtighten the heatsink screws. you'll run the risk of damaging the P4 core or mobo.

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, Geil Platinum PC4000, Geforce ti4600, SB Audigy 2, Maxtor DMax+9 120GB SATA, Antec TruePower 430, Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sanyo Denki 92mm on 1/2" spacers.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KrazyNutz on 12/22/03 01:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
It's at 50 when i run 3dmark03, that sucks major balls now i can't overclock it with it running so hot. When i peeled off the heatsink to check the spread of the arctic silver it looked nothing like the picture on their website. It looked like someone smeared poop all over it, with loads of empty holes randomly scattered. I patched up the holes with more arctic silver 5 but the temp was still the same. One thing's for sure... the heatsink is making good contact cause the little spot spread to a big pile of crap. From this is it logical to say that perhaps the conductive elements in the arctic silver 5 has separated and rested at the bottom of the syringe, that would explain the crappy temp... It says so in their website that it does separate and you have to store it with the opening down. Maybe when i bought it from the shop the guy stored it wrongly. Should have gotten ceramique... Does it apply better? Cause arctic silver 5 is damn thick, it spreads like peanut butter. Not too pleasant to use at all.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
It should take years for AS5 to bleed and seperate, it not that. Temps at 50 (under load) don't mean you can't overclock. overclocking is not wha increases temp, raising Vcore does that, so overclock a little, keep it under 54 (always under load) and you should be fine. You might even reach 250 FSB.

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
But i bought a SP94 because i wanted to overclock more. I'm not getting the cooling performace i should get with it. What a waste of money.Oh well, done all i can. looks like i'll just have to live with it... Sigh..

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I know people that don't even look at temps when they overclock and only when they reach the peak of their processor/RAM they start looking at ways to keep it cool. overclock, then report temps.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
well, Ceramique is better in performance, but whoa, definitely not ease of use. That stuff is thick. I mean THICK. It's like moving half-solidified caulk. Just spreading it around on my heatsink to fill in the grooves proved more difficult than I had imagined. I tore right through two plastic bags on my finger it was so hard to spread. Be that as it may, it certainly does the job. Best $3.50 I've ever spent.

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, Geil Platinum PC4000, Geforce ti4600, SB Audigy 2, Maxtor DMax+9 120GB SATA, Antec TruePower 430, Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sanyo Denki 92mm on 1/2" spacers.</font color=blue>

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
Do you think that maybe my CPU temp diode is malfunctioning? Not overclocking yet, cause i suspect the diode to be off, so might change a processor. The heat sink is making good contact that's for sure. If anything the finger is pointed at the CPU.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
That's a possibility, I guess if you can RMA your processor, OK, but don't buy a new one. Check to see if the temps at the BIOS match those you get from your software.

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I went to the abit forums, there was a big whoo ha about the temps with the ic7-max3 board. Apparently I'm not the only one with a bbq plate inside my case. It turns out that abit used some kind of new calculation thing for their temps, which results in a much higher than normal reading. Looks like all the panic was for not. Sorry guys for wasting your time, thnx for helping me out. Here's a link to the official explanation from abit:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2003/2003052801.htm

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Don't I know that... I have an Abit IS7-E and though my temps aren't as high as yours, they do seem higher than they should be. I'm at 53 under load, 38 idle with a P4 2.4C at 3.0GHZ (stock voltage).

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.org" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?