Solved

Making a new rig, Is this good for gaming?

First of all, I am new here on tomshardware, I'm 16 years old. JUST A KID! :P

So here we go fellas, the thing is that I'm building my first gaming rig. I live in India (currency = Indian Rupee [INR] )I'm little tight on budget i.e. 60k.
I want a PC that is future proof and I can play all games on ultra settings I throw at it. I'm little tight on budget i.e. 60k so I made a config on my own which is given below.

Processor - Intel i5 3570 @3.4 Ghz (Ivy-Bridge)
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-10666CL9S-4GBXL) (THINKING OF INCREASING RAM)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard
Graphic Card - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5 GV-N660OC-2GD Graphics Card
PSU - Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU
Monitor - Dell 20 inch LED - IN2030M Monitor

Will this config run all games at ultra without any heating problems?
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about making good gaming
  1. I'd rethink the motherboard choice and PSU might need a bit more wattage (double check - http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp). Get 8 GB RAM instead of 4 - the price increase should be slight.
    As far as heat goes just get a decent $20 (whatever it is in rupees) CPU heatsink. Don't be stingy if you want a good, future proof rig. There is no such thing as good and cheap - compromise in price or performance.
  2. Best answer
    PSU is OK. That system would run on 400 watt unit.

    The only things I'd change would be RAM - get 8 GB, they are cheap today - and get 1920x1080 monitor.
  3. realgangsta24 said:
    First of all, I am new here on tomshardware, I'm 16 years old. JUST A KID! :P

    So here we go fellas, the thing is that I'm building my first gaming rig. I live in India (currency = Indian Rupee [INR] )I'm little tight on budget i.e. 60k.
    I want a PC that is future proof and I can play all games on ultra settings I throw at it. I'm little tight on budget i.e. 60k so I made a config on my own which is given below.

    Processor - Intel i5 3570 @3.4 Ghz (Ivy-Bridge)
    RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-10666CL9S-4GBXL) (THINKING OF INCREASING RAM)
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard
    Graphic Card - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5 GV-N660OC-2GD Graphics Card
    PSU - Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU
    Monitor - Dell 20 inch LED - IN2030M Monitor

    Will this config run all games at ultra without any heating problems?


    Hello mate. It will run awesome!

    I had the almost EXACT same build. I made some youtube videos on 1080p with the performance of it.

    Take a look at some of them!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VydVtesAkwA - Witcher 2

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPAxPEmRi4 - Skyrim

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnKfQaVVwM - Far Cry 3

    The specs of my old gaming rig are in the description. You will be more than pleased!

    I would add another 4 GB of RAM as the other guys have mentioned. It will help you out a lot! :)
  4. realgangsta24 said:
    Will this config run all games at ultra without any heating problems?


    First, welcome to TH's forum. The answer to the above question is no, unfortunately. On the other hand, people build $5000 that can barely run "all" games at 60FPS MIN...so.

    The overall performance of you components should perform quite well on most games (incl recent ones).

    Food for thought...

    SSD: ...would dramatically improve load times (i.e. Windows booting, loading screens in games, etc.)

    PSU: ...get on that is SLI compatible? The best way to make a RIG future proof is to consider buying say a 660 and next time it's time to upgrade, make it SLI...then go for a bigger card...then make that SLI... and so on.

    Note that there's 2 things to consider with PSUs. The quality meaning that a good 500W PSU is far better than a cheap 1000W PSU. The gold/silver/bronze certifications are also worth looking into (IMO). Read about it if you wanna know more.

    MOBO: If you're looking into overclocking that CPU, i found the latest MSI boards are quite user-friendly...but that's just my opinion.

    Hope this helped.
  5. - 4 gb of RAM wont do any good in gaming try 8 GB RAM
    - If you are tight on budget try to get a ATI/ RADEON graphic card instead of nvidia as the equivalent graphic card won cost you more then 15000 rupees
    - Buy parts from online shopping sites such as FLIPKART.com
    - This will surely make you new room for upgrading your build

    Admire your choice kid
  6. Alex The PC Gamer said:
    First, welcome to TH's forum. The answer to the above question is no, unfortunately. On the other hand, people build $5000 that can barely run "all" games at 60FPS MIN...so.

    The overall performance of you components should perform quite well on most games (incl recent ones).

    Food for thought...

    SSD: ...would dramatically improve load times (i.e. Windows booting, loading screens in games, etc.)

    PSU: ...get on that is SLI compatible? The best way to make a RIG future proof is to consider buying say a 660 and next time it's time to upgrade, make it SLI...then go for a bigger card...then make that SLI... and so on.

    Note that there's 2 things to consider with PSUs. The quality meaning that a good 500W PSU is far better than a cheap 1000W PSU. The gold/silver/bronze certifications are also worth looking into (IMO). Read about it if you wanna know more.

    MOBO: If you're looking into overclocking that CPU, i found the latest MSI boards are quite user-friendly...but that's just my opinion.

    Hope this helped.


    Getting a bigger PSU won't allow him to go SLI. Then he would need a greater MOBO as well, which will mean even higher price.

    Futureproofness doesn't exist. Things like a great case and a good PSU is the only exception. Adding another GPU in like 2 years would be stupid. Then the OP would be better off to sell the old and get the newest gen because the performance increases so dramatically.

    Just listen to Linus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

    5000$? Well I don't know how bad you are at building a PC, but a 5000$ pc should run just about anything in this world of gaming.
  7. sanilmahambre said:
    - 4 gb of RAM wont do any good in gaming try 8 GB RAM
    - If you are tight on budget try to get a ATI/ RADEON graphic card instead of nvidia as the equivalent graphic card won cost you more then 15000 rupees
    - Buy parts from online shopping sites such as FLIPKART.com
    - This will surely make you new room for upgrading your build

    Admire your choice kid


    AMD has some good offers when it comes to value. But keep in mind that Nvidia offers TXAA, FXAA, adaptive vsync and physx.

    So paying a little more will anyway pay better off in the end. I for an example are limited to my laptop that has an Radeon 6770m until my new desktop arrives. I know it's not state of the art, but things such as adaptive vsync really does mean a lot in gaming. It makes the gameplay much more enjoyable due to no microstuttering and no high performance drops.
  8. Other Indian posters on here have said AMD are very poor value in India. I think 4GB will actually do fine, most important thing is to use two sticks (to take full advantage of your dual-channel memory architecture. So 2x 2GB sticks should be ample. I'd be interested if anyone can post benchmarks showing a gaming performance benefit from 8GB.

    Seasonic are an absolute top-quality manufacturer (probably the best there is). Only other thing I'd mention is CPU - there's no point at all in getting a 3570 unless it's almost the same price as a 3450. Only reason to get a more expensive i5 than a 3450 is if you get the 3570K. K models are unlocked for overclocking. 3570 is simply an overpriced 3450 for all intents and purposes. A few extra MHz clock speed won't help out gaming performance.
  9. Alex The PC Gamer said:
    First, welcome to TH's forum. The answer to the above question is no, unfortunately. On the other hand, people build $5000 that can barely run "all" games at 60FPS MIN...so.

    The overall performance of you components should perform quite well on most games (incl recent ones).

    Food for thought...

    SSD: ...would dramatically improve load times (i.e. Windows booting, loading screens in games, etc.)

    PSU: ...get on that is SLI compatible? The best way to make a RIG future proof is to consider buying say a 660 and next time it's time to upgrade, make it SLI...then go for a bigger card...then make that SLI... and so on.

    Note that there's 2 things to consider with PSUs. The quality meaning that a good 500W PSU is far better than a cheap 1000W PSU. The gold/silver/bronze certifications are also worth looking into (IMO). Read about it if you wanna know more.

    MOBO: If you're looking into overclocking that CPU, i found the latest MSI boards are quite user-friendly...but that's just my opinion.

    Hope this helped.


    nice joke bro :pt1cable:
  10. lostgamer_03 said:
    Getting a bigger PSU won't allow him to go SLI. Then he would need a greater MOBO as well, which will mean even higher price.

    Futureproofness doesn't exist. Things like a great case and a good PSU is the only exception. Adding another GPU in like 2 years would be stupid. Then the OP would be better off to sell the old and get the newest gen because the performance increases so dramatically.

    Just listen to Linus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg

    5000$? Well I don't know how bad you are at building a PC, but a 5000$ pc should run just about anything in this world of gaming.



    Will u please elaborate?
  11. sam_p_lay said:
    Other Indian posters on here have said AMD are very poor value in India. I think 4GB will actually do fine, most important thing is to use two sticks (to take full advantage of your dual-channel memory architecture. So 2x 2GB sticks should be ample. I'd be interested if anyone can post benchmarks showing a gaming performance benefit from 8GB.

    Seasonic are an absolute top-quality manufacturer (probably the best there is). Only other thing I'd mention is CPU - there's no point at all in getting a 3570 unless it's almost the same price as a 3450. Only reason to get a more expensive i5 than a 3450 is if you get the 3570K. K models are unlocked for overclocking. 3570 is simply an overpriced 3450 for all intents and purposes. A few extra MHz clock speed won't help out gaming performance.


    excluding RAM and processor....else everything is fine or i need to change that too?
    PROCESSOR, i will buy this one only bro...money prob :(
  12. Decent 1080p monitor would be nice ;).
  13. Sunius said:
    Decent 1080p monitor would be nice ;).


    and everything else is fine?....to run all games on ultra? please answer its my first gaming rig
  14. Most games will run on ultra with a few very exceptions.
  15. Sunius said:
    Most games will run on ultra with a few very exceptions.



    smoothly? without lag 40-60 fps.....
  16. Sunius said:
    Yes.


    KK BRO Changing RAM and Monitor to 21.5"....... :)
    will it be future proof
  17. There is no such thing as future proof in PC world ;). Let me put it this way: it's a very decent gaming PC which will last 3-4 years minimum. Even longer if you're OK with reducing graphics settings.
  18. Sunius said:
    There is no such thing as future proof in PC world ;). Let me put it this way: it's a very decent gaming PC which will last 3-4 years minimum. Even longer if you're OK with reducing graphics settings.

    thanx bro.........im still scared about my config running all games or not :(
  19. Don't be. It will run like a champ.
  20. Sunius said:
    Don't be. It will run like a champ.


    k bro best answer by u :)
  21. Best answer selected by realgangsta24.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games