Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
Hi guys,

My config :
AthlonXP 2500+ @ 185Mhz FSB (AQFEA 0345 stepping
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v1.04 w/ 1007 BIOS
Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPT
Hercules 3D Prophet Radeon 9700NP @ PRO speeds

I got myself a Zalman Video HSF from Zalman (ZM80C-HP) and installed it onto my Radeon9700 NP. Now I have the copper cooler from the Hercules card.

My processor(locked multi) is running at 185Mhz FSB. At 200 I get blue screens and lockups. I've tested the RAM at 200Mhz in Memtest86 and it came up with no errors. I have seen the file nvmcp.sys mentioned in many of the BSoDs and I am guessing the northbridge is overheating (it's HS is very hot to touch).

My question is, can I use the gfx card's HSF and fit it onto the NB for cooling? Will it work better? The mounting holes seems to align. Also, I have the spare mounting pieces from the Zalman kit (it comes with 2 sets. One for cards with mounting holes close to the VPU, another for ones with mounting holes farther from the VPU (GF4Ti for example)). Can I do something with those?

You might wonder why I go to such lengths of uncertainity when I could buy a chipset cooler. You see, the problem is its quite hard to get stuff here back in India.

The best I could do is to get a noname CPU cooler and try to fit it onto the chipset.

So, any ideas guys?

ImmortalZ

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks for the info :)

But I cant fix one on the MCP-T tho... My vid card blocks it (ZM80C attached). But I will try cutting some of the top off the NB HS.

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think a hsf on northbridge will be good enough, that mcp-t don't really need much cooling. If you insist, a small passive heatsink should be ok.

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, I don't own a Nforce mobo.
Yes, I did build a system with Nforce mobo for friend some times ago.
It was Abit NF7S v2.0 with Barton 2500+, I did not notice how hot the mcp-t is, but impressed by the sound quality.
Crisp and clear, as good as pci soundcard

TRENDING THREADS