Unlocking XP 1700+ Problems. Need Help!

Ilian

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2003
I recently tried to unlock my Palomino (with the green packaging) using the guide on this site however I am experiencing some problems. The tools I had at my disposal were virtually the same as the guide except for the conductive silver lacquer. Instead I used nickel print for which it says "for repairing and modifying conductive traces" since I could not find silver lacquer. Anyway, if I tried to change the multiplier in the bios before I attempted to unlock the processor I would have to reset the cmos. After my first attempt at unlocking the processor I could increase the multiplier and the computer would still work however the actual speed never changed when the computer would boot up. I thought this was because I hadn't connected the L1 bridges well. So I tried again and this time my multiplier is set at 7 instead of 11!! Any attempt at changing the multiplier in the bios would result in me having to reset the cmos. So now I am writing to you with 133*7 at 933mhz and am not sure why this is so.
I think it might be that nickel print was never a good conductor in the first place. Or, the second time I tried to connect the bridges, maybe somehow the nickel print seeped into copper leaf underneath and that did something. Either way, I am thinking of buying a conductive pen with silver ink and trying again. Any inputs????

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used conductive pen to unlock that Athlon XP many times, so I'm sure that guide is valid.
Never try with nickel print before, it should work as conductive pen.
I think your first attempt was a successful one, you should try other multiplyer eg, a lower one.
I suggest you remove all traces of nikel print, check your motherboard info, make sure it support changing multiplyer.
If you try again, try it in small step when overclocking, eg, increase multiplyer but lower FSB.