Verizon Phones that Sync with Outlook

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 31, 2005 2:26:56 PM

Besides the uber-expensive smartphones...does any brand offer a phone
that can sync Outlook contacts and calendar? I don't need to do it
wirelessly...I just want to sync my meetings through a USB cable so I
can stop carrying around my PDA.

Something under $200 when purchased with a plan.
May 31, 2005 3:51:31 PM

Can Bitpim be set to automatically sync when the phone is connected?
(like how Activesync syncs with PDAs) Also, I'm thinking on geting an
A670 (or an A890) - can you tell me where you obtained the drivers for
your 670? Thanks a bunch!
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:35:02 PM

On 31 May 2005 10:26:56 -0700, "Ed" <ejobrien@gmail.com> wrote:

>Besides the uber-expensive smartphones...does any brand offer a phone
>that can sync Outlook contacts and calendar? I don't need to do it
>wirelessly...I just want to sync my meetings through a USB cable so I
>can stop carrying around my PDA.

All the Kyoceras should. Mine is through a standard serial cable, but
I believe all of their new phones use USB.
May 31, 2005 10:13:05 PM

I use the Samsungs, 650 (no camera) + 670 (camera) models,
Thru VZ Wireless..
I'm "cheap" so I use freeware "bitpim" www.bitpim.org
.. Needed to hunt around on the web for proper drivers, though.
Cost is nil, sync outlook contacts and appointments, todo etc.
also manage ringtones, camera pictures, wallpaper, SMS text,
etc.. But does has a little "learning curve". Actually ended up
being "fun"...

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

"Ed" <ejobrien@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Besides the uber-expensive smartphones...does any brand offer a phone
> that can sync Outlook contacts and calendar? I don't need to do it
> wirelessly...I just want to sync my meetings through a USB cable so I
> can stop carrying around my PDA.
>
> Something under $200 when purchased with a plan.

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:07:13 AM

"Ed" <ejobrien@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1117565491.057971.239780@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Can Bitpim be set to automatically sync when the phone is connected?
> (like how Activesync syncs with PDAs)

No. BitPim is open source (GPL) and runs on pretty much every platform
out there. That means you can make it do what you want if you can code
or can convince someone who does code to implement it.

The version number however is at 0.7.33. That (appropriately) implies
it is about three quarters complete.

And more accurately BitPim could be made to autosync if someone wrote
the code. It does currently detect a phone being plugged in (Windows
only) and syncing is manual at the moment, so a small matter of
programming would fix all that.

Roger
!