Why Does games lag on my Computer?

Dartz

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Every single game starts giving 10 fps at regular intervals then turn back to normal speed. I wanna know whats the major cause of this problem?

AMD FX-4100 3.6Ghz
4GB DDR3 RAM
ATi Radeon HD 4830 512MB

what games and what settings... if your gonna say bf3 on max settings@1080p then i have your answer your cpu is weak for gaming as is your gpu. it barely meets minimum requirments for new games
the 4830 is a bareley entry level gaming card not designed to play high end games although you can play the less demanding kinds like sims and cod at medium to high settings settings it wont handle games like bf3 crysis 2 at all well even if you stick to 1280/1024 or lower screen size.
my guess would be you have a temp issue thats causing either the gpu or cpu to throttle.

Dartz

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I am playing NFS MW 2012 at highest settings @ 20fps but it starts lagging at 5fps
Now I've uninstalled the Catalyst, there's a but improvement but now it lags at 10-15 FPS

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

There is your problem. Your GPU is not powerful enough to rus your resolution. You can lower your details or resolution.

But it is time to upgrade your GPU, something in the $300 range would be good.

joeh_87

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
GTA4 is more demanding than NFS, Infact completey maxed out GTA4 is still probably one of the most demanding games still. due to being poorly made for the PC.

Upgrade your GPU you will notice a nice boost.

Dartz

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

GPU load is 0-30% only

XSahanX

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

Lol bro ......... i was serching for the same problem ... i installed it just now but i was SADLY SHOCKED when i saw how much it lagged !! ... i tried reducing the graphics.... that kinda worked ............ can any one PLEASEEE TELL ME WHAT MY PROBLEM IS ??

What it comes down to, is the PC you have isn't very good.

AMD FX-4100 3.6Ghz - Barely passable for gaming. Will do very badly in CPU bound titles like BF, GTA IV, and others. You're essentially limited to 40ish FPS at max settings even if you had an infinitely powerful GPU. FX simply isn't good for gaming.

4GB DDR3 RAM - Passable, though 8GB is standard these days. Newer games are more RAM hungry, and you do see small performance increases going to 6 or 8 GB.

ATi Radeon HD 4830 512MB - Slightly below average for its time, its outright aged now. This is probably the biggest bottleneck in the system, and combined with a weak CPU, is significantly holding back performance.

Really, to play at max settings, you basically need to tear the system apart. A GPU upgrade will allow medium/high, but that CPU will probably limit you to that going forward.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

This...this all the way.

BoostSoftware

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I've run into the same problem, however my PC has the processing power. It turns out my Internet connection is the culprit. I'm on satellite. So, my guess it is time to upgrade from 15 to 25G per month. Another $50 a month just to play games. Is there a better way?

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Please don't thread jack. It's just as easy to create your own thread since your problem is quite different.

Do you not have fiber, cable, or DSL available in your area for internet? If so, check out those options, because satellite sucks for gaming. If satellite is your only option, I'm afraid that's what your stuck with unless you moved or another provider(google fiber, probably wont happen though...).

What do you mean upgrade from 15 to 25G per month? 25GB as in your data cap? If so, that won't increase your speed, and won't help with the problem. The problem with satellite too is no matter how big of a cap you can get or even if you can get better speeds, the latency will always be bad. It's simply not a good solution for gaming.

BoostSoftware

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Guess I'd have to move then....I live in a very rural area of Northwest Arkansas, so satellite really is the only option. You are correct about that being my data cap. Just thought there might be some way to buy enough bandwidth to allow for the really good animations, etc. Sorry for jacking the thread...didn't mean to, and thought it was a somewhat related question. Good to know, tho.