Big Bear CA Coverage

Last response: in Network Providers
May 31, 2005 7:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I spent the weekend in Big Bear Lake and Big Bear City California with my
Sprint phone and folks that have Verizon. Receptino and performance was
quite comparable between Verizon and Sprint. If I did not have a Sprint
signal, I roamed on Verizon digital. On one occasion Verizon did not have a
signal and the folks that I was with could not make a call because Verizon
does not permit roaming on Sprint. On the other hand, I could make a call
with a native Sprint signal.

-mij

More about : big bear coverage

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:16:56 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> I spent the weekend in Big Bear Lake and Big Bear City California

and you didn't call me? I'm 45 minutes from Big Bear :p

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:02:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I will call you next time I go to Big Bear and buy you a beer.

-mij

news:D 7inc9$1kd$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> I spent the weekend in Big Bear Lake and Big Bear City California
>
> and you didn't call me? I'm 45 minutes from Big Bear :p
>
> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
June 1, 2005 1:48:20 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> I spent the weekend in Big Bear Lake and Big Bear City California with my
> Sprint phone and folks that have Verizon. Receptino and performance was
> quite comparable between Verizon and Sprint. If I did not have a Sprint
> signal, I roamed on Verizon digital. On one occasion Verizon did not have a
> signal and the folks that I was with could not make a call because Verizon
> does not permit roaming on Sprint. On the other hand, I could make a call
> with a native Sprint signal.
>
> -mij

Thanks for the report. Last time I was in Big Bear (about 2 months
ago) Sprint had two new towers under construction. Not sure if they're
finished now. One was on the West side of the Lake near Fawnskin on a
utility pole and the other was right in the main village area behind
the Bowling Barn disguised as a pine tree. My phone used to go into
roaming in the Village. Hopefully things have changed now. The ski
resorts have had good coverage for a while now.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:20:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Larry,

The coverage in the village is very good so the new towers are most likely
up and running. Sprint now has good coverage in both Big Bear City and Big
Bear Lark. I also found a Sprint tower in the mountains while going up hwy
330. It was disguised as a large pine tree. My wife actually pointed it out
and said "what is that in the pine tree?".

-mij

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> I spent the weekend in Big Bear Lake and Big Bear City California with my
>> Sprint phone and folks that have Verizon. Receptino and performance was
>> quite comparable between Verizon and Sprint. If I did not have a Sprint
>> signal, I roamed on Verizon digital. On one occasion Verizon did not have
>> signal and the folks that I was with could not make a call because
>> Verizon
>> does not permit roaming on Sprint. On the other hand, I could make a call
>> with a native Sprint signal.
>>
>> -mij
>
> Thanks for the report. Last time I was in Big Bear (about 2 months
> ago) Sprint had two new towers under construction. Not sure if they're
> finished now. One was on the West side of the Lake near Fawnskin on a
> utility pole and the other was right in the main village area behind
> the Bowling Barn disguised as a pine tree. My phone used to go into
> roaming in the Village. Hopefully things have changed now. The ski
> resorts have had good coverage for a while now.

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Good to hear about that the village is covered now. Yes that pine tree
tower on Hwy 330 near the ranger station has both Sprint and Verizon on
it. It was installed in February 2004. Sprint also has a new tower
in Running Springs in the Fredalba area. It's the first time any
carrier has been allowed to build a tower there in the residential area.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:15:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

There are a number of locations in northern California where I switch
my VZW phone to SPCS to make calls. Sprint does have great coverage in
a number of places around and in the SF Bay Area where VZW has coverage
holes.
I'm assuming the opposite is also true, since no one carrier has
perfect coverage everywhere.

Apparently even with the ability to force Sprint or the PCS channel on
my VZW phone, there is one huge SoCal SID (forgot which number) that
covers LA out to desert and into Arizona where attempted Sprint roaming
by Verizon users results in the call being forwarded to the American
Roaming Network:(

There appears no alternative around this kind of total block.

VZW roamers or those handsets with VZW ESNs apparently have been
permanantly nuked from ever roaming on Sprint's network, within this
one SID.

Darn! But it must save VZW lots of money when their S. Cal users can't
roam on the SPCS network. Too bad it's such a huge geographical area
that's not avaiable.

I heard the San Diego area is not effected. Not sure if it's San Diego
VZW users or just within the SD SID. ?

-
David
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Sprint's SID for both LA and San Diego is the same (4145).
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:25:29 AM

David L wrote:

> Apparently even with the ability to force Sprint or the PCS channel on
> my VZW phone, there is one huge SoCal SID (forgot which number) that
> covers LA out to desert and into Arizona where attempted Sprint roaming
> by Verizon users results in the call being forwarded to the American
> Roaming Network:(

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, summer 2003 with my wife's Sprint
phone and my Verizon phone, took I-40 instead of the normal route from
Cleveland while moving to Apple Valley because we visited family at Fort
Campbell. Citizens Mohave Wireless was what we got between Kingman and
Barstow, but once you get into California you should be able to pick up
Verizon. (Why I couldn't, especially with a Kyocera 2325 which normally has
no RF issues, is a mystery to me.)

The Verizon Los Angeles super-SID is SID #2. Not sure what Sprint's is.

But now, Citizens has either been purchased by or is partnered with Verizon
and is CDMA (they were TDMA). Back in '03 we didn't pay roaming because they
were Extended Network, but the analog coverage was somewhat annoying.

> Darn! But it must save VZW lots of money when their S. Cal users can't
> roam on the SPCS network. Too bad it's such a huge geographical area
> that's not avaiable.

Same in my hometown. Verizon's footprint is supposed to cover everything
that Sprint covers, and in most parts of Cleveland you're fine on either
carrier, but head out into Ashtabula County and Verizon's coverage is a joke
(or at least it was before I moved out here). But Ashtabula County is and
always has been part of the cellular carriers' Cleveland network, so roaming
on Sprint won't happen. Verizon used to have Sprint's Cleveland SID in the
PRLs. But that stopped happening around --- if I remember right -- summer of
2002.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:47:54 AM

David L wrote:
> There are a number of locations in northern California where I switch
> my VZW phone to SPCS to make calls. Sprint does have great coverage in
> a number of places around and in the SF Bay Area where VZW has coverage
> holes.

In northern CA, SprintPCS SID 4183 is still in the VZW PRL, and indeed
my VZW phone automatically switches over to it when I am in a VZW
service hole (specifically, a literal hole, the second sub-basement
level of a parking garage; must be a SprintPCS site real near).
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:50:56 AM

David L wrote:
> Apparently even with the ability to force Sprint or the PCS channel on
> my VZW phone, there is one huge SoCal SID (forgot which number) that
> covers LA out to desert and into Arizona where attempted Sprint roaming
> by Verizon users results in the call being forwarded to the American
> Roaming Network:(
>
> There appears no alternative around this kind of total block.

VZW wants to avoid people roaming on VZW while in the LA and San Diego
area, which they cover, but unfortunately, Sprint uses the same SID
(4145) for that whole area of southern California and part of Arizona.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:52:48 AM

CharlesH wrote:
> David L wrote:
>
>> Apparently even with the ability to force Sprint or the PCS channel on
>> my VZW phone, there is one huge SoCal SID (forgot which number) that
>> covers LA out to desert and into Arizona where attempted Sprint roaming
>> by Verizon users results in the call being forwarded to the American
>> Roaming Network:(
>>
>> There appears no alternative around this kind of total block.
>
> VZW wants to avoid people roaming on VZW while in the LA and San Diego
> area, which they cover, but unfortunately, Sprint uses the same SID
> (4145) for that whole area of southern California and part of Arizona.

TYPO... "VZW wants to avoid people roaming on SprintPCS"
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:19:38 PM

CharlesH wrote:

> In northern CA, SprintPCS SID 4183 is still in the VZW PRL, and indeed
> my VZW phone automatically switches over to it when I am in a VZW
> service hole (specifically, a literal hole, the second sub-basement
> level of a parking garage; must be a SprintPCS site real near).

NoCal is different. Verizon has some coverage holes up there that they don't
down here.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
June 2, 2005 2:34:32 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> David L wrote:
>
>> Apparently even with the ability to force Sprint or the PCS channel
>> on my VZW phone, there is one huge SoCal SID (forgot which number)
>> that
>> covers LA out to desert and into Arizona where attempted Sprint
>> roaming by Verizon users results in the call being forwarded to the
>> American
>> Roaming Network:(
>
> Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, summer 2003 with my wife's
> Sprint phone and my Verizon phone, took I-40 instead of the normal
> route from Cleveland while moving to Apple Valley because we visited
> family at Fort Campbell. Citizens Mohave Wireless was what we got
> between Kingman and Barstow, but once you get into California you
> should be able to pick up Verizon.

For the record, SPCS now covers I-40 quite well between Kingman and
Barstow (even in Ludlow!). Citizens Mohave Wireless (now Mohave
Wireless) is pretty much on their last leg (ever since the big boys
moved into the area, and they lost their affiliation with the landline
telco).

--
Mike
Anonymous

Tinman wrote:

> For the record, SPCS now covers I-40 quite well between Kingman and
> Barstow (even in Ludlow!). Citizens Mohave Wireless (now Mohave
> Wireless) is pretty much on their last leg (ever since the big boys
> moved into the area, and they lost their affiliation with the landline
> telco).

My problem wasn't with Sprint at the time. It was with Verizon. We didn't
really use my wife's Sprint phone while we were moving.

I *believe* Verizon ended up purchasing part or all of Citizens. If Bill
Radio is hanging around, he could probably confirm this.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
June 2, 2005 5:17:12 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> I *believe* Verizon ended up purchasing part or all of Citizens. If
> Bill Radio is hanging around, he could probably confirm this.

It would be real easy for me to ask Mohave Wireless if they have been
purchased by Verizon as their office is only a few blocks away from
mine. <g>

But seriously, AFAIK, Verizon doesn't even have native coverage here on
the AZ side of the border (Lake Havasu):
http://tinyurl.com/dnzu4

OTOH, when you change the map to a different another view, you can see
us as being covered by "Extended Digital," "NationalAccess and Enhanced
Services," "National SingleRate," and both the pre and post 2/21/05
"America's Choice" maps. But choose "Verizon Wireless Network Map" and
you see nothing but "no coverage."

Personally, some of Verizon's terms confuse the heck out of me: analog,
extended analog, roaming or no service, no coverage, digital, extended
digital, and enhanced services. Combine that with all of the different
names (and now dates) for the plans themselves and it just gives me a
headache...

--
Mike
Anonymous

Tinman wrote:
> It would be real easy for me to ask Mohave Wireless if they have been
> purchased by Verizon as their office is only a few blocks away from
> mine. <g>

They might not have been purchased; they were already a Verizon roaming
partner and Verizon might just have convinced them to flip to CDMA.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
June 2, 2005 6:36:20 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>> It would be real easy for me to ask Mohave Wireless if they have been
>> purchased by Verizon as their office is only a few blocks away from
>> mine. <g>
>
> They might not have been purchased; they were already a Verizon
> roaming partner and Verizon might just have convinced them to flip to
> CDMA.

Yep, they have switched to CDMA. But they wouldn't admit to being owned
by Verizon. I think I insulted them :-( .

--
Mike | Class D magnesium-based fires are not
!