Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, I decided:

Cpu: Barton 2500+ unlock(already in my hand)
Motherboard: Abit NF7S v2.0
Graphic Card: Ati 9600pro
Harddisk: 2 SATA in RAID 0 configuration
Optical Drive: No idea yet
RAM: Kingston Hyper X, 2 x 256mb
HSF: CoolerMaster Aero7+ , and a passive heatsink for MCP-T
PowerSupply: Frotron Source 350(already in my hand)
Casing: Hec 6A series with see through panel.

For graphic card, preferably with red pcb one to match my mobo.

I'm going to get 2 Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 8mb buffer 80gb.

That CoolerMaster Aero7+ may not good as Thermalright 900 series, but since I did some hard lapping work on it, I will try it first.
I think I should replace the original Northbridge HSF, any idea?

Opinions are welcome!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ed_Phoon on 12/30/03 01:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Why do people recommend OCZ a lot for AMD's? I know it offers better timings on the memory but is there something hidden i don't know about?

And whats wrong with kingston hyper X :).. Just asking .. learning. :( newbie here.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know HyperX not as good, but then I can't find any OCZ ram in my place(Singapore), and Corsiar XMS DDR500 price almost double the HyperX.

What about Twinmos Twister, I found some with Winbond ch5 chips, take the risk?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ed_Phoon on 12/30/03 02:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have the XMS Pro DDR500 because I couldn't afford anything else.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'll go out and get some information on Twinmos Twister ram.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ed_Phoon on 12/30/03 02:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
Greetings fellow singaporean, it is indeed unfortunate that our little island is sparse of good ram but full of shitty 2.6c cpus. I only know that you shouldn't buy kingston if you're using 865PE or 875P chipsets since they're single-sided. The intel white paper states that performance of single-sided ram ranks 3rd if you're using 4 sticks, and 4th if you're using only 2 sticks. There's an article on Anandtech about it. But you're using athlon, so i don't know. All i know is that here at this ram-forsaken place we call home it's only kingston or corsair or twinmos. Corsair is the only high quality double sided ram u can get here and as such the price is a rip off. Twinmos is alien to me. Sad it is, sad it is.

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Greeting!
Yes, that is. I can't find any good ram like OCZ, and Corsiar ram is too expensive(sad story). Not like you guys in US, can always find some good things with great bargain.

Wait a minute!
Wusy, do you means Winbond BH5 chips. I got a stick of it with me, it's Twinmos 512mb PC3200 doubleside. I'm running this stick at 2.5, 2, 2, 6 at 200mhz, 2.6v. I bought two sticks some times ago, one for myself, and the other for my friend.

I'll try to get back that stick, like exchange with a brand new Twinmos Twister ram. 2.5, 2, 2, 6 at 200mhz isn't bad after all.

BTW, I don't see any Lite-On product around here(another sad), any other suggestion?

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I thought i saw a couple of lite-on's at sim lim. Anyways what kind of optical u wan? Dvd burner or a combo drive? They selling OEM hercules Radeon 9800 pros at fuwell, they going pretty cheap. I got one, it works fine, though the damn thing gets real hot, bbqed myself when i was fiddling inside my com, and it had only been running 30 secs! U interested in purchasing my corsair rams? They're twinx 4000pro. If you'd read my story u would know why i want to sell em, and get something cheaper. They're barely a week old. Say, most of our fellow countrymen hang out at hardwarezone, what brings you here?

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll try to get the Winbond bh5 stick first, is cheaper. Beside, you may be able run at higher than the current fsb you're running.

I read your oveclocking story, your 2.6c seems to have some potential, it may needs a better cooling.

Some IHS on P4 is not evenly level, with edges higher than surface, I think this the reason Intel use softmetal instead of heatsink grease with their box hsf.

So you have two choices:
(1)Put back the original box hsf, and hopes it's good enough for 3.2ghz.
and
(2)Welcome to the new stage lad, it's call 'lapping'.

BTW, I'm regular visitor of THG since Pentium I days.

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
I'm using the SP94 and i had a "little" trouble with the cpu temps a little while back. It turned out that the mobo was the culprit, the max3 read temps a different way from most other mobos, resulting in a substantial increase in temp readings. Since it was the first time i was assembling a com from scratch, i thought that it was due to my crappy technical skills. Till i staggered upon the answer at the abit forums. Anyways, during that period of time i had checked the connection between the ihs and the heatsink countless of times. Bottomline, i had good connection. So finger is pointed at stupid cpu. Heard the newer batches sucked balls and now i've the proof right in my system. Even so, i constantly still think i'm the one at fault. After all i'm a noob.

Say, u seem like a nice guy. And we both live on a little piece of [-peep-] sandwiched between 2 bigger pieces of [-peep-]. Can you like possibly take a look at my system? I know it's plenty to ask, but i know of no one who's skilled in the arts of PC. I had to learn everything from the bottom up, all the time i wished there was someone who could teach me but alas... all my friends are even more computer retarded than i. All i know i read from books and the net. Can't discuss [-peep-] with anyone, except on the forums. Need that personal touch. Sorry for being such a sissy ass whiner. Too bad not am not a girl, wouldn't even need to ask then, just need to lift my skirt. So whatta ya say? Pretty pretty please with a good deal for corsair twinx 4000pro on top :)

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why not?
I'm stay in Simei, you?
By the way, I think I don't need the corsair ram. Just keep it, it doesn't hurt you after all, did you see that it works very hard for you?

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
Yay! thnx dude. I'm living in yio chu kang. That's a bit far ain't it? U wan me to lug my system to your place? Safe u the trouble of coming so far down. Really appreciate this. Can i have your number? I'll give u a msg. As for the rest of you guys, sorry u have to put up with this singapore thing, just be glad we're not talking in our native tongue. The amount of dialect we usually use can melt the pages of this forums.

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You P4 overclocker look at <A HREF="http://www.oc.com.tw/article/0304/readocarticle.asp?id=1374" target="_new"> this </A>.
I think all P4 ovrclockers should try this out.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
LOL, I don't even have Chinese installed. All I get is a few thousand questionmarks...does the article say anything groundbreaking or new?

Damn Rambus.

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope.
It's just saying remove IHS from P4, your little P4 baby will be more happy to run at higher clock.

Seriuosly, I think all P4 owners with copper or Al-Cu HSFs should try this, that IHS may good for Al HSFs, but will be an obstacle for copper and Al-Cu HSFs.

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
My chinese sucks balls, thnx for summarizing it. Can't even manage reading chinese comics, less a technical article about cpus! Shouldn't have slept during chinese class