Sign in with
Your question

I Don't run games as good as I should ( As Far as I know)

Last response: in Video Games
January 12, 2013 8:28:40 PM

Hi, in December I bought a GeForce 660 GTX Ti (Factory Overclocked). So I can run my games better (my video card was a Radeon 6700 before the change,which wasn't that good). I put the sucker in and expect to run a lot of games pretty well and I was disappointing when I didn't get the huge frame boost I was hoping for ( at least for some games,like Planetside 2, Fallout New Vegas, Serious Sam 3, Black Ops 2, ect) I was able to go from a Medium to a High (and ultra) with alot of games, but some for some odd reason some games performed about the same, and I have no Idea why. Planetside 2 and Black Ops are my main concern. Anyways here are my computer specs:

Video Card: Geforce 660 GTX Ti (as listed above)
RAM: 6 GB
Processor: AMD Athlon II X645, 3.1 MHZ, 4 cores
Power Supply: 620 Watts
Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

Black Ops 2 has stuttering issues and the fps goes up and down dramatically quick. To fix this I needed to make it to the lowest graphics settings possible

Planetside 2 stays at a constant 10 to 20 frames.

Serious Sam 3 is average 20 to 30 Frames

There is more games with issues like these but I am not gonna list all of them.

Thank You!

More about : run games good

January 20, 2013 9:57:57 PM

I think you should get at least 40 Fps average. Have you checked the latest driver for the card? I do have the 560 Ti and I do not get lower than 35 fps in any game at 1080p
m
l
January 21, 2013 12:07:01 AM

Have you checked your gpu usage in GPU-z or in MSI afterburner? I'd start there and see if you are at 100% gpu usage. My first thought is you are having a CPU bottleneck.
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 4:05:16 PM

mycutefairy said:
I think you should get at least 40 Fps average. Have you checked the latest driver for the card? I do have the 560 Ti and I do not get lower than 35 fps in any game at 1080p

Yes everything is updated
m
l
January 21, 2013 4:16:13 PM

ajl2011shooter said:
Have you checked your gpu usage in GPU-z or in MSI afterburner? I'd start there and see if you are at 100% gpu usage. My first thought is you are having a CPU bottleneck.

http://i.imgur.com/Mn58JTT.png < This is the GPU when on desktop

http://imgur.com/iYdQgRy < This is the GPU while playing Bo2:MP for 3 minutes at least.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2013 4:54:03 PM

looks like your cpu is a choke point. either that or the ram.
if its ddr2 667 or slower then yeah the ram would be an issue. but if its 800+ then the cpu
turn your settings up to near max without aa then down to min restarting both times and compare the fps... if there near identical then the cpu is holding you back.
even though your athlon is based on phenom 2 its likely its running out of bandwidth. you could try overclocking if you have the cooling. they can go to 3.5+ with a little volt bump. if you then get an increase in fps then again its the cpu holding the gfx back.

m
l
January 21, 2013 8:28:12 PM

HEXiT said:
looks like your cpu is a choke point. either that or the ram.
if its ddr2 667 or slower then yeah the ram would be an issue. but if its 800+ then the cpu
turn your settings up to near max without aa then down to min restarting both times and compare the fps... if there near identical then the cpu is holding you back.
even though your athlon is based on phenom 2 its likely its running out of bandwidth. you could try overclocking if you have the cooling. they can go to 3.5+ with a little volt bump. if you then get an increase in fps then again its the cpu holding the gfx back.

Well both of my RAM Cards (2gb and a 4 GB one) are both DDR3. And I did try it and they are most of the time similar, although with the lower graphics the FPS didn't move so erratically, but generally stays between 30 to 90 (stays mostly near 40 frames, but jumps to 90 to 100 sometimes with lower settings)
m
l
January 21, 2013 11:08:09 PM

I'm definitely going with CPU bottleneck. That Athlon II is getting oldish.
m
l
January 22, 2013 4:23:03 PM

voiidwulf said:
I'm definitely going with CPU bottleneck. That Athlon II is getting oldish.

So I guess I'am gonna have to get a new processor hm?
m
l
January 22, 2013 9:01:19 PM

Yeah. If it is AM3+ or w/e, which I think it is, (I haven't owned an AMD CPU for a while so I'm not familiar with the sockets and whatnot.) you could get one of the Piledriver CPUs like the FX 8350. If it's only AM3 I'm not sure how big a performance boost you'd get with one of the newer Phenoms.
m
l
January 26, 2013 10:51:38 PM

voiidwulf said:
Yeah. If it is AM3+ or w/e, which I think it is, (I haven't owned an AMD CPU for a while so I'm not familiar with the sockets and whatnot.) you could get one of the Piledriver CPUs like the FX 8350. If it's only AM3 I'm not sure how big a performance boost you'd get with one of the newer Phenoms.

Is there any way to help the problem just until I get my new CPU? As long as it isn't too complicated.
m
l
January 26, 2013 10:55:45 PM

Yes, you should be able to overclock the CPU.
m
l
January 26, 2013 11:37:35 PM

voiidwulf said:
Yes, you should be able to overclock the CPU.

Got any suggested programs? Oh and I forgot to mention that in Black Ops 2 I bluescreen quite a bit (Mainly in the campaign and zombie mode, it rarely does it during multiplayer ). This is the only game that does this to me to.

BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8006134748
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
m
l
January 26, 2013 11:41:06 PM

I know that I am suppose to have a minidump for information but I can't read it, literally. I can't open it or nothing and I've tried searching on Google how to but I wound up unsuccessful.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 11:50:54 PM

go into bios and make sure your hpet is enabled.
error 124 normaly means your ram is under volted. i notice you have mixed ram. thats not a good idea. the timings will be off causing stress to the memory management controller. look at the rams rating and use the maximum allowed voltage.
but because your ram is mixed 1 stick may be lower voltage than the other in this case use the lower voltage or remove the 2 gig stick till you can afford either another 4 gig of the same make and model or another 2 gig of the same make and model
you will also want to reduce the timings slightly compare the 2 jdec valuses of each stick.
if its 1600 9-9-9-27 for stick 1
and 1600 8-8-8-24 for stick 2 you may be able to rase the ram timings to 9-9-9-27 and be stable so try it b4 lowering them. if that doesnt work.
look at the jdec for 1333 on both and if there close to 7-7-7-21 for both then set them both at that. latency tends to go down the slower you run the ram so even if stick 1 s jdec is 8-7-7-22 for 1333 you may get away with setting it to 7-7-7-22 you can do this and you wont actually loose any real world performance.
but the voltage issue must be solved b4 you do this...
problem is, is the voltage issue has appeared. it could be that 1 of the sticks has already been damaged by running the ram in mixed config. this is what happens whgen you leave the ram to auto config in bios and use 2 different kinds.
the mmu will try to match up the ram as best it can and this can stress the mmu and the ram sticks till the point of fail... if this is the case then you could have damaged the cpu and or 1 or both ramsticks.
so correct the voltage issue. set the ram timings manually in bios and hope for the best.
m
l
January 27, 2013 3:49:48 AM

It is F2. Just repeatedly press it after you press the power button.
m
l
January 27, 2013 3:55:41 AM

I need to rephrase what I said, what I meant was that I went to the Bios (pressed f9, f2 doesn't work for me) I didn't see the option "hpet". Or many options for that matter. But I did enable it on CMD
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 4:19:32 AM

hpet is the high precision event timer/event timer/precision events. normally you will find it in the same menu as ahci options in bios.
if its not there than your board may support it nativley. in that case dont downgrade to xp or dual boot with xp.
TIPS:
f2 is normal for laptops to get into bios.
delete or f9 for desktops.
f8 will likely be boot menu.
tab raid menu.
all should be pressed to get in to the relivant menus at the first splash screen as soon as the pc turns on.

m
l
January 27, 2013 4:55:08 AM

HEXiT said:
hpet is the high precision event timer/event timer/precision events. normally you will find it in the same menu as ahci options in bios.
if its not there than your board may support it nativley. in that case dont downgrade to xp or dual boot with xp.
TIPS:
f2 is normal for laptops to get into bios.
delete or f9 for desktops.
f8 will likely be boot menu.
tab raid menu.
all should be pressed to get in to the relivant menus at the first splash screen as soon as the pc turns on.

Nativitey? What do you exactly mean?
m
l
Related resources
!