Sign in with
Your question

THG's Nitro OC Article - No benchmarks?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 30, 2003 11:36:05 AM

I can't beleive THG went through all the trouble of setting up a Nitro cooled system at -200C and didn't bother to benchmark it! Had they run out of Nitro? I would love to know how a P4 EE performs at it's peak.
Also, a question. THG said that their processor had a max multiplier of 17, is this always the limit for engineering samples of P4s? Also, it's too bad they didn't give enough info about the OC like VDIMM and Vcore...
The article is <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html" target="_new">HERE</A>

EDIT: Has anyone else had problems with the clip? The picture freezes for me a few seconds into the clip...

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ytoledano on 12/30/03 10:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : thg nitro article benchmarks

December 30, 2003 3:06:29 PM

I think you missed the explanation. Check out the chapter: <Clock Rate Record With The P4: 5.25 GHz At -196°C> Under the screenshot of the cpu-z is a caption which says: "This is the clock rate we achieved with the P4. At this clock rate, however, benchmark tests were no longer possible." And they did give the vcore and stuff, it was pretty detailed. Those germans are crazy, they be fragging a [-peep-] load of the allies if they played battlefield on that crazy rig.
Related resources
December 30, 2003 3:23:27 PM

Ya, apparently they meant it was still to high. Now if only my overclock was such a fraction of that, happy me be.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2003 5:35:23 PM

apparently it's the same limit at the Xeons, that is, you can use lower multipliers but not higher ones.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 30, 2003 7:09:11 PM

The p4 extreme basically is a xeon, wait, it is a xeon.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2003 10:05:57 PM

That's why a lot of people are unsure if these are truely engineering samples the sites have. Xeons are not locked in the downward clock multipliers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 31, 2003 2:11:57 AM

They should have run at least a couple of CPU benchmark à 4.7GHz. This would have been cool to see those numbers...

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?
December 31, 2003 6:08:30 AM

Extreme overclocking is like supermodel sex, u can dream of it but can't have it. And if u do get it, it's usually beyond the performance of your "hardware" :) 
December 31, 2003 11:30:19 AM

I wonder how long the system would run under those high volts before something blew.... Of the main components what would go first? CPU or FSB? Wonder what the lifespan would be...?
December 31, 2003 12:25:08 PM

Didn't u see the ungodly amount of ice crystals all over the motherboard? They'll have to top it up with LN for all eternity if they don't wan condensation forming. It just lasted long enough to impress the [-peep-] out of me. It's probably hanging as a trophy on their walls now.
December 31, 2003 1:14:53 PM

What would "go" first is the Nitro, that stuff doesn't last too long as a liquid (it heats up, turns into gas and since it's very lite as a gas it lifts into the sky in a sec)

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>
December 31, 2003 1:16:19 PM

I guess Extreme Overclocking is taking your current system 5 years back and showing to your friends / going 5 years into the future, take the best system they have and come bragging home to your friends.

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2003 4:02:29 PM

I think you missed the point. The EE is a Xeon for Socket 478. And Xeons only have a max multiplier, they allow for lower multipliers to be used. So there's been speculation that the retail EE's might not be locked in the downward direction because they're based on the Xeon. Nobody who's actually stupid enough to PAY for an EE has spoke up yet.

December 31, 2003 4:29:50 PM

Oh! I get it. But still, a multiplier of 17 means 3.4GHZ and all P4 EE are 3.2 (right?). So, does 17x means that every multiplier is selectable but 17 is the max for P4/Xeon or everything above 17 is locked?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2003 5:14:16 PM

Nope, Intel said something about the 3.4EE as well, I don't know if it's on the market yet.

December 31, 2003 10:51:21 PM

February 2nd supposedly.

Damn Rambus.
!