Data connection

I use sprint for an occasional data connection and with Verizon it
should be a similar approach. Friend has Verizon and is getting nowhere
trying to set us a data connection. Looked in this NG and didn't' see
anything to help him out.
bunch of bullshit) 2 hrs spent/ wasted today just with verizon not
including time spent with susteen/data pilot. I have a call into corp
offices for veriozon wireless to explain the above scenerio. looks like
i'm going to have to use dial up when i go to the lake on weekends to
get email. Now I just have to find the freaking pcmcia card LOL :) for
the dial up connection!!!

Suggestions?

DecTxCowboy wrote:
> I use sprint for an occasional data connection and with Verizon it
> should be a similar approach. Friend has Verizon and is getting
> nowhere trying to set us a data connection. Looked in this NG and
> didn't' see anything to help him out.
> package. (which is a bunch of bullshit) 2 hrs spent/ wasted today
> just with verizon not including time spent with susteen/data pilot. I
> have a call into corp offices for veriozon wireless to explain the
> above scenerio. looks like i'm going to have to use dial up when i
> go to the lake on weekends to get email. Now I just have to find the
> freaking pcmcia card LOL :) for the dial up connection!!!
>
> Suggestions?

Figure out what you want to do FIRST! You babble about video/pictures, and
then go on about email.. I've been using various services (QNC, then 1x, now
EVDO when in EVDO areas ((1x when not)). All work fine for my email (and
have for years, cept EVDO, just started the last year), since I dumped
sprint about 6 years ago..

Peter Pan wrote:
> DecTxCowboy wrote:
>
>>I use sprint for an occasional data connection and with Verizon it
>>should be a similar approach. Friend has Verizon and is getting
>>nowhere trying to set us a data connection. Looked in this NG and
>>didn't' see anything to help him out.
>>package. (which is a bunch of bullshit) 2 hrs spent/ wasted today
>>just with verizon not including time spent with susteen/data pilot. I
>>have a call into corp offices for veriozon wireless to explain the
>>above scenerio. looks like i'm going to have to use dial up when i
>>go to the lake on weekends to get email. Now I just have to find the
>>freaking pcmcia card LOL :) for the dial up connection!!!
>>
>>Suggestions?
>

> Figure out what you want to do FIRST! You babble about video/pictures, and
> then go on about email.. I've been using various services (QNC, then 1x, now
> EVDO when in EVDO areas ((1x when not)). All work fine for my email (and
> have for years, cept EVDO, just started the last year), since I dumped
> sprint about 6 years ago..

Well I thought his email was clear in that he's trying to make an
internet connection using the Quick Net Data Service by tethering his
handset to his laptop...period.

To avoid confusing of terminology, I do not know if QNC is exclusively
available with a separate connection card and data plan, thus is there a
different term for tethering a laptop? Its my understanding this will
come out of his minutes. One reason I'm staying with Sprint.

The "video" was in reference to a model/series/? of phones. The "email"
was in reference to something he wants to do.

Now...are you using using a simple tether arrangement like above or
using the higher priced service with a connection card?

DecTxCowboy wrote:
> Peter Pan wrote:
>> DecTxCowboy wrote:
>>
>>> I use sprint for an occasional data connection and with Verizon it
>>> should be a similar approach. Friend has Verizon and is getting
>>> nowhere trying to set us a data connection. Looked in this NG and
>>> didn't' see anything to help him out.
>>> package. (which is a bunch of bullshit) 2 hrs spent/ wasted today
>>> just with verizon not including time spent with susteen/data pilot.
>>> I have a call into corp offices for veriozon wireless to explain the
>>> above scenerio. looks like i'm going to have to use dial up when i
>>> go to the lake on weekends to get email. Now I just have to find the
>>> freaking pcmcia card LOL :) for the dial up connection!!!
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>

>> Figure out what you want to do FIRST! You babble about
>> video/pictures, and then go on about email.. I've been using various
>> services (QNC, then 1x, now EVDO when in EVDO areas ((1x when not)).
>> All work fine for my email (and have for years, cept EVDO, just
>> started the last year), since I dumped sprint about 6 years ago..
>
> Well I thought his email was clear in that he's trying to make an
> internet connection using the Quick Net Data Service by tethering his
> handset to his laptop...period.
>
> To avoid confusing of terminology, I do not know if QNC is exclusively
> available with a separate connection card and data plan, thus is
> there a different term for tethering a laptop? Its my understanding
> this will come out of his minutes. One reason I'm staying with
> Sprint.
> The "video" was in reference to a model/series/? of phones. The
> "email" was in reference to something he wants to do.
>
> Now...are you using using a simple tether arrangement like above or
> using the higher priced service with a connection card?

Simple phone tethered to a laptop... Started with voice only/no data plan,
only uses minutes (cept during free time). QNC was very low speed (max 14.4,
called long distance direct to my ISP), then with 1X, higher speed (144kb)
new phone (also new tether cable and new software), and earlier this year in
las vegas I went to a new phone/tether/software to use EVDO (much higher
speed, usually got 600-800kb connects).. Now in Spokane (non EVDO area and
back to 1xrtt/144kb speeds, same phone as for evdo.

There is an older americas choice plan and a newer one. The newer one has
wording in the agreement to allow verizon to charge for data use, the older
(pre february) don't have that wording. The CS people will only tell you
what the new agreement says.

Interestingly enough, I (and maybe you, or anyone reading this), the data
card/mobile office combo specifically stops networking/wireless networking,
but the tethered phones allow it!
Good news/bad news... The newer contracts have wording specifically allowing
verizon to charge for data (they haven't yet, but legally they can now)..
The older contracts don't. I usually tell people to take over an older
contract from a friend (they save the ETF and you get the old wording).

As for the sprint/verizon thing, I live full time and travel in my RV (have
for 7 years now), and sprint was only good in metro areas, but most RV parks
were outside of those areas, so for me, coverage with sprint, was useless.

You may want to check who provides service at whatever lake you go to.. Only
one, or maybe neither even may have service there.

Real surprized to hear about your friends problems, I have set up a data
connection a few times, it's very simple, and usually only takes a few
minutes..

>"Peter Pan" <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>There is an older americas choice plan and a newer one. The newer one has
>wording in the agreement to allow verizon to charge for data use, the older
>(pre february) don't have that wording. The CS people will only tell you
>what the new agreement says.

The last time I changed my America's Choice plan was 4/2/04, predating
the new AC plan by almost a year.

The letter I received includes the text: "Use of Mobile Office Kits, PC
Cards, PDA's, or other wireless modem devices for Internet access
requires subscription to select NationalAccess plans."

The same text appears in the America's Choice brochure that I received
at the time.

FWIW, that text does not appear in the Customer Agreement I received,
however.

--
DD

The Wording in ALL Contracts STATE "This agreement can be changed at
anytime and verizon can bend you over and rape you for all the money
you have".

Dan

On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:31:06 -0700, "Peter Pan"

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 04:38:20 -0400, D. Smith wrote:

> The Wording in ALL Contracts STATE "This agreement can be changed at
> anytime and verizon can bend you over and rape you for all the money
> you have".

Yea, but if you don't like the new terms you can cancel without the ETF.

Sorry, that is not a true statement. You must "convince" Verizon that they
have breached the terms to such a significant point that you not wish to
cancel. There is no waiving of the ETF for convenience. And the fine print
says that you have no right to sue, but must see binding arbitration.
Sorry.
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)