P4 5GHz Article or not!

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I read the article. I read comments here and elsewhere (/., etc...).

And I'm not sure this article is worth the reading. First, there is no benchmarks or actual performance numbers given. Second, it seems that the system was unstable and not working properly at this speed.

So why should we bother about this "my thing is bigger than yours" article?

I think extreme overclocking is important and fun! But it must gives results. I remember the day where I saw my old K6-233 running at 266MHz on this BIOS screen... Bit never boot up. This wasn't overclocking, this wasn't working. And the day I bought my P3-700MHz and I tried to bush it to 933MHz... Beautiful boot screen but Windows never loaded.

This 5.25GHz means nothing if the PC don't work. It's only a frequency, we can buy chips or crystals that generate 10GHz clock we don't need a P4 to generate a useless 5.25GHz clock.

THG HAVE 3 OPTIONS :
1. Remove the article.
2. Add some benchmark at WORKING SPEED.
3. Modify the article (at least the intro and subject to reflect that fact that the system is NOT working properly at this speed).

Maybe, you disagree with me. And it's fine. But would you buy a Sports Car with this advertisment : "The engine can gives you more than 900HP under special condition and cooling in our labs and it is not reliable in these extreme condition". Wow! What a crap!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I agree with the fact that is an experiment and I had a lot of fun reading it and thinking how much they have time to spend on this kind of stuff!!!

But, they should not say they ran a P4 to 5.25GHz. Because in fact it didn't run well. A CPU work or not work, it can't almost work. No one would ever tolerate an unstable system. It's why the manufacturer rate their chip below their maximum speed. To ensure reliability and stability.

And they should have provide at least 1 benchmark (PCMark, DivX compression or MP3 compression).

--

Oldcolepotatoes

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2003
You're not making any sense. They never claimed it was stable at 5.25. All they did was run cpu-z, showing that it was possible to acheive that speed. They were just experimenting, like any other scientist, to see the limits of the p4 ee cpu. What's it that u don't like?

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
During the holidays or special events THG tends to do fun articles. It's the holidays, be glad that we even got an article between christmas and new years.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here and beat this bad boy...
A64 3200+ w/ 1 GB DDR 400
2 36 gig raptors in Raid 0 complemented by an AIW 9800 Pro

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
The purpose of the project was to just break the 5ghz barrier. Stability was never an objective. Just try to bench that and will give you crashes guaranteed.

Ive tried this project with a few of my associates and was able to break the 5ghz barrier, followed with software corruption of the whazoo, briefly but the chip could not bench over 4ghz. If you have to use liquid nitrogen to get the CPU stable then thats not an idle system.

They were just trying to break a speed barrier for record sake with no intent with it running software. Dont you ever get bored and just wanna do something for giggles?

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.775)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/700)

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
It's OK!

But it's so useless... I mean there is not purpose for doing this. Experimentation is great, but it's better when something can be put out of it.

Most people know that extremely cooled chip will run at higher speed. I would be proud to overclock a PC that will never crash! I would never be proud to get an unstable system even if I reach 5GHz. Like I said before, we don't need a CPU to generate a "clock" of 5GHz, we can buy crystals or "clock generator" chips.

It's why many people would have liked to see at least 1 working benchmark at the highest stable frequency of this rig. This would have been great!

--

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Youre right, it is absolutely useless in the practical sense. All it is for bragging rights for those that are obsessed with that field.

However this "useless" test has taught us one thing is that the P4 has not yet reach its peak in the CPU market and probably could do 5ghz with some tweaks to it.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.775)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/700)

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
However this "useless" test has taught us one thing is that the P4 has not yet reach its peak in the CPU market and probably could do 5ghz with some tweaks to it.
P4 will ne ver get to 5GHz. These kind odf extreme cooling/overclocking can't be reproduced by tweaking the CORE. The P4 core will never get to 5Ghz, or if it get to it, it will be revision Z and 50nm process... not 130nm or 90nm process!

:)

--

B_Man

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Didn't you ever get something as a kid and modify it to run at its max knowing full well that in doing it you were going to break it.But did it anyway, just so you could say you did????????I have and it was a blast, so who's to say they did anything that made sence other than to say "lets try and see what happens for the heck of it.". And afterwards they were nice enough to share the results so that you or me wouldn't have to risk the money to try it ourselves,gee wasn't that nice of them????So chill and learn from others trials and errors............

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I understand your point!

But it's useless anyway to overclock that for nothing more than fun or HIGH GHZ reading.

I don't blame them to have done this, I blame them to have not provide at least 1 benchmark at working speed. The article would have been more interesting.

Do you remember the AMD Fried CPU video, this was great! Because, this was useful at that time. MB makers and AMD had to change their design to unsure that the AMD CPU's would survive HS loss or fan problem.

This 5GHz article only show that it's possible to read 5.25GHz from a P4 nothing more...

--