Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS in game?!How toincrease it?

Last response: in Video Games
January 13, 2013 11:47:19 AM

Hello

Today I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I got an avg of 15 FPS-.-
How can I fix it? And can my system give me better performance?
Here are my specifications:
GPU GTX 460 1GB
RAM 8GB 1333MHz(2x4)
CPU i3 550@3.2 GHz
MOBO Asus P7H55
PSU Seasonic 520W 80+ Bronze

Soon I will be getting the Asrock z77 Extreme 6 MOBO and the i5 3570K which I will overclock,will it show an performance improvement?How big the improvement will be?

January 13, 2013 11:56:37 AM

Hi :) 

You NEED a MUCH BETTER graphics card...

All the best Brett :) 
January 13, 2013 12:26:43 PM

Reduce graphics settings. Check temperatures. Don't rush to buy anything before you actually find out that thing is the problem.
Related resources
January 13, 2013 12:34:14 PM

I know that the GPU is bad...I will be getting a new GTX 660 2GB in less than a year...
But is there any way I can have more frames now? I reduced graphics but still didnt get more thar 30 fps...dont know what to do...
January 13, 2013 12:35:08 PM

Will the GTX 660 2 GB be enough to get at least 70 FPS?
January 13, 2013 1:50:21 PM

Don't buy that just yet. GTX 460 should be able to run it just fine. Buying a GPU will not help in this case.

Did you check the temperatures?
January 13, 2013 2:51:33 PM

Idle is at 35°C while gaming on 45°C...not too hot...
January 13, 2013 2:53:20 PM

But why do i have just 23 FPS on medium to low settings? the GPU is the problem or?
January 13, 2013 2:57:12 PM

Sounds like a driver issue.
January 13, 2013 3:33:16 PM

Or something running in the background? What's your CPU usage during lag?
January 13, 2013 4:33:31 PM

When I play BC2 is mostly 60% to 75%,but it comes in some situations at 89 to 100%
*Note-the graphics are on medium.
January 13, 2013 5:09:43 PM

Yeah that sounds like a driver issue to me .... the 460 gtx is old but it should be able to run BFBC2 at much higher frames than 15. =/
January 13, 2013 7:33:41 PM

Disastepiece said:
When I play BC2 is mostly 60% to 75%,but it comes in some situations at 89 to 100%
*Note-the graphics are on medium.

What's eating up the CPU?
January 13, 2013 8:19:13 PM

I dont know...It was just the game running...my cpu is weak by the way...that is why I am buying the I5 3570K
January 13, 2013 11:13:09 PM

Open Resource Monitor and sort programs by average CPU. Start the game and play until it lags. Minimize the game and screenshot the Resource monitor. Upload the picture here.
January 14, 2013 1:41:00 PM

Sunius said:
Open Resource Monitor and sort programs by average CPU. Start the game and play until it lags. Minimize the game and screenshot the Resource monitor. Upload the picture here.

So I downloaded the latest driver for my GPU,because some sad that it might be a driver issue.
And I got 25 to 30 frames per second now...the game runs better but its not good as 3 months before;(
After the driver i also have less CPU usage...
Here is the link for screenshot of the Resource Monitor:
http://imageshack.us/f/407/pmtti.png/
January 14, 2013 5:52:55 PM

XFire? Are you recording game content? Did you try turning it off and check whether it's lagging then?
January 14, 2013 6:52:17 PM

So I always run xFire while playing...I tried without it nothing changed...I use it for recording,I like to make montages but its hard with an i3 processor :/ 
XFire is not a problem...
January 15, 2013 2:54:29 PM

I remember trying to run that game back when I had my Core 2 Duo E6600. No matter how high I clocked it at, I could not get the game to run smoothly, even on like low settings. At this time my graphics card was a 4870. Bought a 2500k and clocked it to 4.4Ghz, the game instantly ran better, even with the 4870. I went from struggling to maintain 30fps on low-med settings to getting a solid 50-60fps on high settings.

Bad Company 2 pretty much NEEDS a quad core to run good, especially with the multi-player.

One thing that helped me before I replaced my C2D was to set the priority of Bad Company 2 to the highest available within task manager. I also faintly remember using a program to limit the CPU usage of PunkBuster. PunkBuster would use a fair amount of my limited CPU up, holding back what could be used for the game. There was a program that allowed me to limit it but I don't remember which one. Sorry.

So, that is what you could do for now as a temporary fix. However, like you mentioned, getting a 3570k would be the best solution. I would for sure get that before getting a new graphics card, especially when it comes to BC2 and other Frostbite Engine games that require a Quad Core to run correctly.

The 460 is somewhat dated but should still run BC2 and other games smoothly at med-high settings.
January 15, 2013 3:41:55 PM

Thanks for the information... at the moment the biggest crap in my pc is the i3...It is a very bad choice for gaming...so this is why I i am going to get the 3570k and a new Motherboard because I have the 1156 socket now...and the 3570k is 1155 and getting a z77 motherboard I heard is the best solution for a pc that will be used for gaming and overclocking.
January 15, 2013 3:58:56 PM

thats all you can do. its not your gfx its the cpu being a dual core even though it has hyper threading...
if you havent turned it on in bios do so. it should increase your fps slightly but the reality is frostbite engine doesn't work at all well on any dual core cpu...

as for brets buy a better gfx card its complete and utter rubbish. he would have cost you 150-500 if you had of followed that crap advice.... seriously dude if thats the best you can do then dont bother. he could have ended up wasting a lot of money and ended up with an even worse problem than he had before... im almost tempted to make a complaint if you keep giving such poor, lazy, uninformed advice...

the 460 has plenty of grunt to run bfbc2 near maxed out in dx10 but because the dual core cpu will limit the gfx to under 50%, it litrally forces it to a 50% limit max your fps will be all over the place.. i had Xclan mates that were running an amd 6000x2 with a gtx 270 and an e6600 with a 4870 and both got 5-40 fps with a max of 50% gpu usage. they swaped it out for a quad core and his fps never dropped below 50. the limiting factor is the cpu...

January 15, 2013 4:15:58 PM

HEXiT said:
thats all you can do. its not your gfx its the cpu being a dual core even though it has hyper threading...
if you havent turned it on in bios do so. it should increase your fps slightly but the reality is frostbite engine doesn't work at all well on any dual core cpu...

as for brets buy a better gfx card its complete and utter rubbish. he would have cost you 150-500 if you had of followed that crap advice.... seriously dude if thats the best you can do then dont bother. he could have ended up wasting a lot of money and ended up with an even worse problem than he had before... im almost tempted to make a complaint if you keep giving such poor, lazy, uninformed advice...

the 460 has plenty of grunt to run bfbc2 near maxed out in dx10 but because the dual core cpu will limit the gfx to under 50%, it litrally forces it to a 50% limit max your fps will be all over the place.. i had Xclan mates that were running an amd 6000x2 with a gtx 270 and an e6600 with a 4870 and both got 5-40 fps with a max of 50% gpu usage. they swaped it out for a quad core and his fps never dropped below 50. the limiting factor is the cpu...

We sell that 460 for £130...its LOW end at best... its old and its only got 1gb of ram on it...his games would improve DRASTICALLY if he invested in a better card...

And my opinion is as valid as yours....

He NEEDS a better card for modern games...

January 15, 2013 5:01:38 PM

If I sell the 460 now i would get less than £100 for it...but will sell the motherboard(Asus PH55) and the CPU(i3 550@3.2GHz) for £100...or less if I cant get £100...
January 15, 2013 5:32:34 PM

You should get better fps with that card in that game : http://www.techspot.com/article/255-battlefield-bad-com...
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Colorful/iGame_GTX_460_1_GB/i...

That cpu is a bit weak, but it shouldn't bottleneck the card in that specific game : http://www.legionhardware.com/images/review/Battlefield...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/05/how-ma...

Of course it will be better having a new cpu, like a quad core i5 and a new gpu from the 600 series from nvidia, like the 660 gtx.
But your problem might rely on something else, try checking the temperatures of both gpu and cpu, test the hdd with hirens boot, check if you have resources on the background that are demanding high usage of the cpu, check the drivers, and also check for virus, malware,etc.
Check also if you have the legit version of the games(lol, just saying).
January 15, 2013 5:46:33 PM

Yeah...I am going 100% to buy the i5 3570k and hopefully later this year the GTX 660 2gb...My games are all original :) 
January 16, 2013 3:18:54 AM

Brett928S2 said:

We sell that 460 for £130...its LOW end at best... its old and its only got 1gb of ram on it...his games would improve DRASTICALLY if he invested in a better card...

I seriously expect better from someone with a rank of "Expert". Did you even read the post? This isn't about random games. The OP mentioned a specific game he is trying to play(Bad Company 2). It is a KNOWN FACT that the Frostbite engine requires a quad core processor for smooth gameplay, which has already been stated by myself and Hexit.

And to be honest, although the GTX 460 is an aging card at this point, it's not considered "low end at best". It can drive most modern games at medium settings smoothly. Complaining that it "only" has 1GB of VRAM?!? Freaking seriously dude? Do you know how many games can take advantage of 2GB+ at 1080p? Like modded skyrim and Crysis 2 with texture packs. God...

And no, I don't care if your shop sells it cheap, that doesn't make it a low end card. We are talking performance here, not the prices at your shop.

OP - Ignore my raging, as it isn't at you. Getting a 3570k is a great choice. Don't forget to pick up a good aftermarket cooler that will allow you to overclock it well, like up to 4.2-4.4Ghz. The Cooler Master Hypere 212 is only like $25 and works wonders. As for the 660, not that it's a bad card, but by later this year the 8000 and 700 series cards will likely be released, for sure announced, so I would just save money until you are ready to buy and see what the market looks like and what models are available.
January 16, 2013 3:30:45 AM

Brett928S2 said:

no it will not increase drastically for the game he wants to play... you completely ignored his problem and gave 1 of your stock have a nice day answers. adding a bigger card in this instance would just cause more issues and a serious hole in his wallet for what? absolutely nothing. all it would do is exacerbate the problem he already has.
if you dont have time to help people properly then go concentrate on your work, because your inane responses are neither useful nor relevant most of the time...
if your gonna wear the label expert then live up to it, if not then go make a million in your chain of shops you claim to run...

January 16, 2013 8:06:17 AM

I agree with Hexit on this one. Graphics card isn't the problem.
January 16, 2013 10:22:01 AM

HEXiT said:
no it will not increase drastically for the game he wants to play... you completely ignored his problem and gave 1 of your stock have a nice day answers. adding a bigger card in this instance would just cause more issues and a serious hole in his wallet for what? absolutely nothing. all it would do is exacerbate the problem he already has.
if you dont have time to help people properly then go concentrate on your work, because your inane responses are neither useful nor relevant most of the time...
if your gonna wear the label expert then live up to it, if not then go make a million in your chain of shops you claim to run...

How many gamers do you know that only play ONE game ?

None in my experience... and I talk to a lot more gamers than you do...

It IS an old cheap card (nowdays), and his gaming WILL improve if he buys a better one...

!