Athlon 2600 @ 60c ???

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Howdy, just upgraded my processor today from the Athlon 1700+ Palamino to the Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred. I have not changed a single thing in my system except for the processor itself. I'm running it on an Epox 8KH3A+ mb with 1gb pc2100 memory. Radeon 9800pro and WD 80gb 8mb 7200rpm HD.

I'm using the exact same hsf that i used with the athlon 1700, Zalman alcu-7000. I have the fan control turned to the max and i'm getting idle temps of 59c right now. My room is a bit warm at the moment so i know thats one reason for being so high, however with the same ambient temp my athlon 1700 was never going over 49c even under full loads.

I'm using Artic Silver Ceramique. On the processor die I only put about as much as an uncooked grain of rice on it and about the same on the HSF and wiped then wiped the HSF clean with a lint free cloth. Very carefully and evenly put the HSF on the processor making sure not to slide it back and forth. Did this twice now just to make sure i was putting enough or not too much compound on. Anybody have any suggestions at all?

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
49c under a full load... idle the 1700 would usually be at 41c. Using a very good HSF imho the Zalman alcu-7000.

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
What is the chance that there is just a defect in the cpu causing it to run hot?

The ambient temp in my closed room is usually around 74F to 82F. What new HSF would you suggest that runs quiet like the Zalman Alcu-7000?

When i got home today from work and turned my cpu on first time today the syst temp was 23c and the cpu was 38c soon as i saw the computer POST. By the time windows XP booted the temp was at 42c.

jrbemis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I run 2 AMD 2600+ on ASUS K7N8X boards. The water cooled system is 24C on the MB and 49C on the CPU. The HSF system is 31C on the MB and 59C on the CPU. HSF is stock AMD. Both seem to run OK but hot.

I am having problems with a power supply in the HSF system not producing 3.3V AC but that is cured on the next trip to COMPUSA.

AMD2600+,AMD2000+,P4/1.8,P3/800,Via/800,P3/700 and a farm of Dells; OS/2, Linux(RH), W2K, NT4, Novell, UNIX. So little time, so many OS's

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yeah you deff got something wrong there, im using some generic cheap [-peep-] thermal stuff and a volcano 7+ on my 2800+.... it's running 48-53c..... 54 the highest.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Well I just ordered the Thermalright HSF model SP-97 so i guess in about 2 days when it comes i'll see how that goes. Talked to the guy on the phone while ordering it from 1coolpc.com. He talked me into getting some Vantec 92mm fan that has auto temp control and rated at 31.7CFM at 1900rpm and goes up to about 52.6CFM i think he said at about 4200rpm.

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
Those Tornados sound like a hairdrier. Not that it is a necessarily a bad thing. They work great. I've got three in one of my computers. Just be ready for some people to really whine about the noise.

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Haven't recieved it yet but just got my invoice in email. It's the Vantec 92mm Thermoflow fan.

Rated Voltage: 12 VDC
Power Input: 2.0 ~ 3.12 W
Fan Speed: 1850 ~ 3100 RPM
Air Delivery: 34.8 ~ 58.5 CFM
Noise Level: 29 ~ 40 dB(A)
Bearing Type: Double Ball bearing

Seems ok to me as long as i can keep it running at the lower rpms and with that HSF i dont' see it as a big concern since the fan seems to rate with a high CFM and with as good of a heat sink as the SP-97 (at least from the reviews i've read) it dosen't seem like it should be a problem.

What do you think? Suggest anything better that runs quiet?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
41C Idle for any palomino isnt a bad temp. Those things ran very hot! I remember going from my Pally 2000+ to my Tbred B 1700+, there was a massive reduction in temperature.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
Sorry, my bad, when I read Vantec I assumed it was a Tornado. Haven't looked into the Thermoflow, but from what you wrote that doesn't seem so bad. I think the 92mm Tornado is over 100 CFM and somewhere over 50 dB(a).

I imagine that you are not going to get much better unless you get a 120mm fan and I don't think those will fit on a SP-97. At 40 dB(a) I can imagine someone complaining (someone like a roommate in a small dorm room at around midnight or later) but at 29dB(a) or so I don't think you will have much of a problem.

Anyways, my 10 bits

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
I agree with you that the more power you have the better off you are generally. But I think he will be okay since:

One: He already bought it - kind of mote point now.

Two: Looks like what he got is going be a bit better than what he had so it should solve his problem. If this setup works for him than it is just as good as if he got a Tornado.

Three: I have my tornados on a fan bus controller and even when I turn the %$#& things down they are still loud. Sure you could say just put up with extra noise. But why put up with it when another fan will do the job without the noise?

Four: If this doesn't work then there is probably something else that is wrong because nobody should have to run a tornado at full speed to cool their cpu unless they are overclocking.

I think what he is getting will fix his problem and not kill his hearing. He could have gotten the Tornado with a fan bus controller and ensured that his problem was fixed. Plus I agree with you that the extra power a Tornado has would have been nice, but not necessary.

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
By the way wusy - you wouldn't happen to know how loud that Tornado is suppose to be at 4000 dB(a)? Just curious - Thanks.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Fit!! Who cares? As long as that fan is blowing on that heatsink directly :) just tape that shite down and and don't move your case.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Well i just got my Thermalright SP-97 HSF today. Little discouraged right from the get go. The base of the SP-97 had several chips in it in some places. I was expecting better quality at least in that regard. However since none of them seem to be where the cpu die is i can live with it.

Long story short... I'm getting basically the same temp readings as i was with the Zalman Alcu-7000 as i sit here typing this my cpu is 56c and my system temp is at 35c. Not entirely sure about room temp maybe 78-80F. Again i applied just a a tiny bit of arctic silver ceramique to the cpu die evenly since it's a barton core.. maybe roughly the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Then applied about the same amount of it on the HSF and rubed it around with my finger inside a plastic bag and used a lint free cloth to clean off the HSF so only a discoloration from the ceramique was left filling in the crevices. CPU temp is now reading 57c.

What am i doing wrong here. I consider myself to be experianced at doing this now as this is the 7th computer i've built for myself as well i'm A+ certified.

Only other conculsions i can come to is it's because of the motherboard i'm using. It's an older Epox 8KHA3+ with the latest BIOS. I've got the athlon 2600+ barton core. The memory i have is pc2100 1GB. My FSB is at 133 since i don't have pc2700 or better to run at 166FSB. I'll probably get some corsair pc3200 later this week.

What do you think?

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
I must say at this point i'm almost 100% confinced it's just my motherboard reporting the wrong temps as a sign of incompatibility with this processor. I can touch any part of the HSF and it's not even hot only fairly warm even tho i've been running system for 10hrs straight.

Must say i do recommend the Vantec Thermoflow fan. You can feel it pushing a good amount of air and the fan isn't even audiable really at the lower setting. At the highest setting you can certainly hear it but it's bearable. The fan seems to run steady at 2000rpm anyways so noise isn't a factor.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
The only thing i can say is if it's not a wrong reading than it's not making full contact. You said it had chips on the bottom.. if that's in the area where it contacts the die than you might wanna read up on lapping the hsf.
Although.. i doubt it would be that bad.. as you said you did the rubbing in ceramique trick.
I also suppose there's a chance there is an air bubble holding heat, but again.. would it really affect the temperature that much?
You could always get a laser temperature reader and test each specific part and see what's going on.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Using a Vantec Thermoflow Fan... posted the specs of the fan on 1st page i believe. The heatsink mounts by screwing it into the 4 holes on the MB. It's definatly making full contact. As i could see the die impression on the HSF when i took it off.

I know for a fact now after reading around on the EpoX forums that the MB are anywhere from 10-15c off when reading the temperatures as they read the in die temp. Reason i also feel it's just simply reading the wrong temps is my room definatly does stay cool a lot longer then it did before. Also no matter what even at idle the temp stays at 60c and system temp at 35c usually. Even under a full load the cpu temp might go up to 61 or 62 and thats it