E3 Rumor: Powerful Wii HD with HD Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Considering the XBOX 360 and PS3 were designed somewhat cutting edge technology for processors and graphics and were released Nov05/Nov06 respectively, it would be hard to imagine any sort of new console that would not be more powerful then those two.

Design and final specs of the PS3 were set for the Japanese release in march of 2006 at least 6 months prior to its launch. which would put it back into 2005, the same goes for the Xbox, even sooner. If the WII should surpass it in raw horsepower. But with the idea and design that Nintendo wants to market, I cannot believe that it will be anything better then a AMD 5570/5550 would produce.

Interesting to see what certain developers can do with that sort of hardware. The glut of crap on the WII is starting to bring it down, though some of its titles were the absolute best Nintendo has produced in years, Galaxy 1&2 mainly.

The controller seems interesting.

G

So Nintendo will be first to produce a new next gen console (that will slightly outperform the current consoles). Theirs been lots of improvements in hardware since the PS3 and 360 launched, however history will repeat itself in a few years time.

The PS4/Xbox 720 won't be out for a few years, and will be able to run more advanced engines like Unreal Engine 4.
The current rumour is to announce it this year at E3 and won;t launch until late 2012...why announce so early? That just gives Sony and M$ more time to prepare there next gen consoles expected for 2013 at the earliest.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Hah, called it as soon as the price drop news came out. It's really not just the price drop though. Wii games have dried up, barely anything is coming out this year. More than anyone, they need to put something new out or lose the momentum they gained with Wii.

Speculation wise, I heard the new controller has a touch screen. Just so long as it's not ALL touch screen it might be interesting. The HD is a given. When the last gen of consoles were released, HD was a luxury. Now HD has saturated the market. To not put a product out that's capable of 1080p is just foolish. Nintendo doesn't concern itself with graphics, so how it compares to other consoles isn't important, but I think HD is a must at this point. Their real focus will likely be on innovative gimmicks and new ways of playing.

With some devs whining that the game industry is on it's last leg, I think Wii 2 could pull consoles out of the gutter. If they release hardware that tops ps3/360 right now, they could even nab some 3rd party support back into their corner or force Sony/MS to play their own hand. A lot is riding on this year's E3.

4745454b

Titan
Why would I want a screen on the controller? I need to be looking at the screen, not my hands. Why would that be a good idea???

Is this really WII 2? Or WII 1.5? The article spoke of the video abilities, but not much more. Is this a new product or just bringing the WII up to similar specs as the other current consoles? Seems odd that the WII 2.0 would show up before the other consoles arrive.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Do I believe there's an HD Wii 2 coming? Probably.
Do I believe the controller will have an HD screen? Doubtful at best.

Its more likely the Wii 2 would be able to interface with say the 3DS than having a separate controller with an HD screen.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Yeah. Include a GPU like the Radeon 6870 and it will be 5-6 times more graphics capable than the 5 year old Xbox 360 and PS3.[/citation]
The rumors point to a mid 2012 launch at the earliest, so it may incorporate a yet to be released GPU architecture from ATI, possibly based on the new architecture planned for the HD7000 series. If we're lucky it may be similar to a mid-range 7000 series GPU, if we're unlucky it could be based on the 6000 series. Knowing Nintendo, I can't imagine them using anything more then a mid-range equivalent GPU from any particular generation. But it's native game resolution will be 1080p, so I guess that's a plus.

G

Actually, I'd be interested in a console that strays from the motion-sensing thing and brought Nintendo back to more of a core-gaming experience.

If people want casual, use the Wii. If you want Battlefield 3, play PC (then Wii 2).

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I have to call BS on this rumor. Nintendo is usually a very conservative co. especially in the last generation or two. It sounded a bit believeable until the controller also has a HD screen? That would drive up the cost way too high and that doesn't fit with Nintendo's pricing attitude.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
You know what I don't want to pay MORE money for? Controllers: they're already expensive enough, que no? Got a decent mouse for less than your standard wireless console controller, and they are going to make them even more expensive? If a game has motion control on the ps3, I turn it off. I haven't invested in the Move yet, but I haven't seen anything to warrant buying those accessories either.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Actually, I'd be interested in a console that strays from the motion-sensing thing and brought Nintendo back to more of a core-gaming experience.

If people want casual, use the Wii. If you want Battlefield 3, play PC (then Wii 2).
1st party games on the wii are fing awesome zelda, smg, no more heroes motion sensing controls are an addition to the gameplay there core gaming doesn't mean the same fps repacked into 10 games.

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
It is interesting to use gamerankings to browse year to date Wii/PS3/Xbox releases. There really are far fewer great and good rated Wii games coming out now.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jprobes[/nom]Considering the XBOX 360 and PS3 were designed somewhat cutting edge technology for processors and graphics and were released Nov05/Nov06 respectively, it would be hard to imagine any sort of new console that would not be more powerful then those two.Design and final specs of the PS3 were set for the Japanese release in march of 2006 at least 6 months prior to its launch. which would put it back into 2005, the same goes for the Xbox, even sooner. If the WII should surpass it in raw horsepower. But with the idea and design that Nintendo wants to market, I cannot believe that it will be anything better then a AMD 5570/5550 would produce.Interesting to see what certain developers can do with that sort of hardware. The glut of crap on the WII is starting to bring it down, though some of its titles were the absolute best Nintendo has produced in years, Galaxy 1&2 mainly.The controller seems interesting.[/citation]

lets see here, wii hd. a powerful successor to the wii. they could make a 500$ system, eat a hardware loss, and bank on the hard core market going twords the first out the door, granted i doubt it, but it could be the case. id probably only be willing to eat a 2-300$ loss with initial hardware, so look at an 800$ System, and realize that uncharted 2, looks better than crysis (imo, but thats more art style than tech) and just imagine where the system will be in 4 years graphics wise.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]lets see here, wii hd. a powerful successor to the wii. they could make a 500$ system, eat a hardware loss, and bank on the hard core market going twords the first out the door, granted i doubt it, but it could be the case. id probably only be willing to eat a 2-300$ loss with initial hardware, so look at an 800$ System, and realize that uncharted 2, looks better than crysis (imo, but thats more art style than tech) and just imagine where the system will be in 4 years graphics wise.[/citation]
Why would they do that?
Last time they made a system which was massively less powerful than the competition, banked a profit on every console from day 1 and slayed everyone in the sales arena for 5 solid years.

If they are really, really smart this will be an incremental upgrade to keep sales toddling along till the competition release their own next-gen stuff in a few years.

In the meantime Nintendo are banking billions and should be pumping every dime into R&D and when the time is right release something that will do to the Xbox and PS what it did the first time seem like a garden party.

Nintendo are very smart and have been playing the long game like true pros.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I think no matter if this is successful or not, it's going to make a revolution; it's going to change the game. The NES literally saved the gaming history forever. Look at the N64, they literally created the analog stick after finding that people love joysticks. Thanks to Nintendo, motion sensing was more successful than it ever was than if any other company were to do it first. Nintendo announces the 3DS, and although it's not that successful, now we get more 3D phones, though I hate this idea.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Why would they do that?Last time they made a system which was massively less powerful than the competition, banked a profit on every console from day 1 and slayed everyone in the sales arena for 5 solid years.If they are really, really smart this will be an incremental upgrade to keep sales toddling along till the competition release their own next-gen stuff in a few years.In the meantime Nintendo are banking billions and should be pumping every dime into R&D and when the time is right release something that will do to the Xbox and PS what it did the first time seem like a garden party.Nintendo are very smart and have been playing the long game like true pros.[/citation]

That's the obvious route a greedy(or in your words "smart") company would take... but we as consumers want Innovation.

I would rather pay $500 for a next-gen console that has substantial hardware upgrades than $300 for one with smaller "incremental" upgrades.

IMO it would be beyond stupid for them to release a console that didn't destroy the xbox 360/PS3..

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I have a Wii and really liked it when it first came out, but after playing some of the games for a few months and after beating Twilight Princess, it has collected dust for two years now. If Wii 2 launches AND has some good games, I would consider it, but I'll wait a few quarters and see how it goes.

Hopefully this new tech won't kill the battery life on the remote, as it would be a pain to have to keep changing the battery every couple times uising the machine.

And last, I would hope any new gaming system that comes out would beat the PS3 without issue; even 'just' $300-400 worth of today's hardware should bury what the PS3/360 could do. On the other hand, PS4 and 720, when they come out, will probably destroy the Wii 2, but cost 50% more.

plum

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
erm, what is a "High Definition" Controller?

edit: nvm, just read it'll have a screen on it. damn, this console is going to cost us a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.