which M/B do u recommand for the new Prescott cpu

benlung

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
what motherboard would u recommand to buy for the new Prescott cpu.
i have the three m/b in sight
asus p4c800 -e or delux
abit ic7 , max2, max3?
Gigabyte GA-8K1100

which one can u recommand or any other M/B?
i would be doing some Overclocking (Pentium 4E 2.80 GHz, Prescott, with ocz pc4000 ram) the computer is for gereal purpose, java programming and hard core game

many thanks

G

There are a few things to conside in making your choice. I also am seeking an answer to a mobo question but this isn't it.
The difference between the two Asus boards I think is that the E board has 1394 firewire the other doesn't.

As far as the Prescott goes if you don't need a board right now you might want to wait to Q2 or so. One reason is that although Asus says that the P4C800 board will work with the Prescott it is not certain if the board meets specification as is. Also I have read that Intel is considering or has planned to change the new Prescott socket 478 to something way more than 478 pins. If they do this the current boards will no longer fit the revised Prescott CPU. That's what I have read this past week.......Vista

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 01/24/04 05:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I would hold off till the smoke clears with this CPU. The Prescott when it does come out will be for socket 478. Intel will change over to socket 775 for the Prescott some time during 3Q or 4Q 2004. I would think the mobo manufacturers are busy at work planning for this change over to socket 775.........

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>