kerio + posting

I find that I just get a cannot connect page when I try to post in Google
Groups. But, If I click on th Kerio icon in the system tray such that I
get the firewall window on the screen, then I can post. There is something
that I am missing in the configuration.

Can anyone helo

using IE5, windows98se

--
All responses to the newsgroup please
6 answers Last reply

    "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    > I find that I just get a cannot connect page when I try to post in Google
    > Groups. But, If I click on th Kerio icon in the system tray such that I
    > get the firewall window on the screen, then I can post. There is something
    > that I am missing in the configuration.

    Sounds like you have it set to "Deny Unknown". Post all your
    settings for Kerio, so we can see.

    Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

    > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    >> I find that I just get a cannot connect page when I try to post in Google
    >> Groups. But, If I click on th Kerio icon in the system tray such that I
    >> get the firewall window on the screen, then I can post. There is something
    >> that I am missing in the configuration.

    > Sounds like you have it set to "Deny Unknown". Post all your
    > settings for Kerio, so we can see.

    I am set to 'Ask Me First'

    Regarding the filter rules should my settings be the same as those given
    in the help file, or are these just examples.

    Bit of a labour posting all the filter settings. I am trying to find a way
    of copying and pasting. Because of my posting problems, I am posting from
    within a UNIX system at the moment.

    Thanks

    Alan Illeman <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

    > "Andy" <anonREMOVE_THIS6bd2@blackhole.nyx.net> wrote in message
    >> I find that I just get a cannot connect page when I try to post in Google
    >> Groups. But, If I click on th Kerio icon in the system tray such that I
    >> get the firewall window on the screen, then I can post. There is something
    >> that I am missing in the configuration.

    > Sounds like you have it set to "Deny Unknown". Post all your
    > settings for Kerio, so we can see.

    Every time I have the kerio window dispplayed I can get the login page to
    google groups. But if I leave it in the system tray, I get the no page
    found.

    I registered with google and fould that Kerio connects just fine. That you
    are also getting connected then it can't stay connected is a curious point.

    Before I go any further, download and install IE6. then get all the security
    updates (IE5 is no longer safe with the current crop of exploits.)

    Now, with that of my chest... It could be a flawed installation of Kerio
    (although I would think that it would present on other sites as well.) I
    guess Iwould try uninstalling Kerio, rebooting than re-installing Kerio
    again. (Don't forget to turn off any resident progrtams that monitor the
    system, such as any anti-virus or anti-trojan checkers.)

    There's also the probability that some other program is the culprit, perhaps
    a pop-up blocker. Check and see what else is running that could possibily
    interfer. Ad-blocker, pop-up blocker, etc. Google could be detecting this
    and giving you problems in an attemp to get you to turn it off. (???)

    Why would it connect if you right-clicked the Kerio icon and opened the
    administrative screen? No idea, Status & Administrative screens have no
    effect on the packets moving through the machine. That you are getting it to
    connect first, then to a 404 error is indictive of Google causing it (I
    guess.)

    Upgrade the browser, then try again. (That's my advice.) Even if that's not
    the problem, you'll be better off.

    JED wrote:

    >Before I go any further, download and install IE6. then get all the security
    >updates (IE5 is no longer safe with the current crop of exploits.)

    Neither is IE6.

    "Micheal Robert Zium" <mrozium@XSPAMX-yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > JED wrote:
    >
    > >Before I go any further, download and install IE6. then get all the
    security
    > >updates (IE5 is no longer safe with the current crop of exploits.)
    >
    > Neither is IE6.

    I'm using IE5.5 from the Win2K CD and there's no problems
    using it with Kerio 2.1.5 so long as I log on to my ISP with
    a user account with as few permissions as I need. I have no
    'security updates' at all, only SP4. Getting Kerio just 'right'
    is the trick.

Firewalls Networking