Sign in with
Your question

How far could I push my 2.66B?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 5, 2004 10:21:28 PM

Alright, I feel like doing something drastic with my system: losing RDRAM.

Vital system specs:
2.66B
Iwill P4R533-N
1GB PC1066 RDRAM
Lots of HDDs (one of the reasons I am looking at the P4P800)
Fortron 550W

I guess I just want a slight boost of performance now and another, bigger boost later when I go and buy a Scotty (granted that the performance is good).

Assuming I will have proper RAM (might as well just get the best now and use it to spec later [PC4000]), a nice 865PE mobo (Asus P4P800 Deluxe), and very good cooling (whatever the best aircooling is), how far could I push my FSB??

I haven't seen any reviews or experiences of others with the P4B and overclocking. I've reached 3.12GHz with my current system, but the AGP/PCI (synchronus with the FSB on my mobo) bus and my RAM (it was more stable at a multiplier of 3x for the RAM [rather than 4x]) were really making things unstable. I'd expect the processor to hit about 3.3GHz (165MHz FSB), is this too much to ask for?

Chances are I won't have the money for Scotty until a few more months (saved already for an R420/NV40) and using Christmas money for this, so don't recommend waiting for Scotty.

Sorry if I sound really stupid, I'm really tired and completely clueless.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

More about : push 66b

January 6, 2004 2:03:50 PM

Just keep pushing the clock up, with respect with the additional voltage requirements, till it gets too hot and/or systems acts funky. Should be able to get at least 3ghz out of it.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)
January 6, 2004 4:01:27 PM

Oh, I haven't bought the new RAM and mobo yet. Wondering if it's worth the investment or not...

I can't really overclock my current config. I had it at 3.12GHz (936MHz RDRAM, 5.6GB/s bandwidth [tried to run at 1248MHz, 7.5GB/s...no way was that happening]) running stable in CPU/RAM intensive tasks (not anything that interacted with anything on my PCI/AGP bus, Iwill didn't lock it). Nice and cool with a stock HSF for a few hours. I suppose 3.3ish will be my max with better cooling.

I'll probably switch the P4P800 Deluxe to the P4C800-E Deluxe...looks like the P's NB-HSF is too close to the AGP slot--no room for a Zalman HP80C.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody had any prior experience OCing a P4B...

Related resources
January 7, 2004 7:12:55 PM

I'd wait with any RAM-mobo upgrade until Prescott launches, 'cause now it's really unclear which mobo would support it.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...
January 7, 2004 7:16:50 PM

Yeah, I've become a little tenative about the upgrade...I'll wait (just wanted somebody else to say it, thanks!).

!