About P4C800-E Deluxe overclocking:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/asus-P4C800-E_Deluxe/index.html" target="_new">You might not have the stable voltage needed to reach the limit of your CPU</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Nice review...although i must say you made it sound like asus could just move all of the memory traces over .5 inch so that they would be further away from the agp slot. It really isn't that easy, i am sure if it were they would have done it. You probably know that along with Maximum skew requirments chipsets also have Max and min trace length requirments.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I know they have max trace length requirements, I also know that they could just as easily move the chipset closer to the memory sockets. It seems difficult when you look at the math but is actually quite easy when a computer does most of the work for you.

Usually they base the layout on a previous layout, which was based on a previous layout...the memory slots are located further from the edge likely because of a screwhole they were under in a previous layout.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SAITCH0

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I got a question for you Crashman:

What board revision did you reviewed? I just purchased two of those boards and one was rev 1 and other was rev 2. Upon closer inspection of the boards i noticed some differences. First thing the lever to secure the processor is made of metal on the rev 2 instead of plastic on rev 1. I spotted at least 3 new capacitors on rev 2. Since im not an electronic fan i may have missed other stuff. Question is is there a place where they list all the diff between the 2?

P.S. Both computers overclock from 2.6 to 3.25 on stock voltage but i need to increase it to 1.575 to make Prime 95 happy for a couple hours(havent tried longer yet)

P.P.S. Great review, i really like when the reviewer try the parts longer than the time it take to write the review.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Mine is a Revision 2 board. I don't know what the differences are. It actually has a sticker on it that says it's Rev. 2.

This thing overclocked great when I first got it.