Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ECGC 2011: Is the Gaming Market About to Crash?

Last response: in News comments
April 15, 2011 6:40:31 PM

this guy is coo koo! i think he is mad pc market can never die cuz size matters
Score
April 15, 2011 6:43:09 PM

Is he trying to say we're all sick of the space marine? Nowai... RLY?
Score
Related resources
April 15, 2011 6:47:36 PM

Quote:
shifting from the arcades to the PC and then to consoles...

Quote:
Eventually players stopped spending the money

yep thats me. Next gen 2.0 will be my prefer choice of gaming. My 2011 PC build will be my last gaming PC build.
Score
April 15, 2011 6:48:20 PM

If consoles all died I would not mind.....
Score
April 15, 2011 6:55:05 PM

The only reason the gaming market might "crash" is because of shitty ports and 10-15 hour games with little or no creativity. If anything devs need to start thinking about what to add to the game not subtract from it.

if a game has "RPG elements" it better be 40+ hours long. honestly i have a hard time buying a game that doesn't seem like it will have 50+ hours of gameplay, thru whatever means, like multiple play throughs or just one run.

Remember Borderlands? a far from perfect game. I spent over 250 hours playing it(both single and multiplayer) ...now that is what I'm talking about.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
April 15, 2011 6:57:46 PM

I agree with you scook9, i rarley play game consoles, the PC is just...better
Score
April 15, 2011 7:01:31 PM

from how the console age is today with DLC expansions, game patches, buyijg cheap games online sound like the console market will merge into the PC gaming at some point
Score
April 15, 2011 7:04:22 PM

I blame Sony on making the PS3 a lame duck with a harder to program SDK, one core cut out, and giving themselves a bad name by suing people that decide that they want to jailbreak the thing...

Nintendo could do more with the wii if they put DVD playback on the thing as well...

Oh, and PC rules, consoles drool...
Score
April 15, 2011 7:09:52 PM

jarraramjadthis guy is coo koo! i think he is mad pc market can never die cuz size matters

Oops! Somebody forgot to read the article before commenting!
Score
April 15, 2011 7:11:45 PM

Five people who commented actually read the whole article.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:12:01 PM

console gaming is in a slump because all the systems are 6 years old. That means 6 year old graphics technology. Get off your butts Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo and come out with new systems.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:13:33 PM

scook9If consoles all died I would not mind.....

I wouldn't mind much either but it would probably have a negative impact on the PC gaming market none the less. It's not as if as a reponse to the dieing console market, every average joe is gonna go by a gaming PC. Major companies like Bethesda and Bioware couldn't afford to make BIG budget titles we enjoy if their revenue is cut by like 75%. As long as the consoles keep feeding developers enough money to make bigger games, than maybe someday we can hope to getpast the crappy console port. But getting rid of consoles is not the solution to that problem.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:14:36 PM

sevirconsole gaming is in a slump because all the systems are 6 years old. That means 6 year old graphics technology. Get off your butts Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo and come out with new systems.

And ill reply to myself, i dont with consoles anyway. PC is the only way to go.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:23:07 PM

The problem is that customers are growing weary of buying the same overly hyped games every year.
95% of big budget titles are either sequels or copies of popular games. Consumers are beginning to learn that buying a new Modern Warfare clone every year is a waste of money.
Score
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
April 15, 2011 7:25:06 PM

I, for one, wouldn't want to trade epic adventures and interesting storylines that I could be playing for weeks, if not months to come, to quick-to-play Cell-phone games.

A more varied market is a good thing, but to think that maybe in, let's say 10 years, there won't be more Bioshocks, Metal Gears, TES, GTAs, Uncharted and so on it's.....scary. And depressing.

That's not evolution, imo. It would be like taking a step backwards to the 70s.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:28:05 PM

Consoles are crap.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:31:15 PM

Same reason the Music Industry is crashing - HORRIBLE products (mostly) and they charge too much for those horrible products.

And people are starting to actually LOOK at what they buy, because dollars everywhere are getting in more short supply - and they aren't just wasting them on crap anymore. Instead of buying that crappy game that will keep them busy for a week or three - they MUST put gas in their car.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:32:45 PM

Games are dying because we have seen it all, and done it all. If it was not a game it was a movie. The attraction to the arcade back in the day was stuff we had never seen before, a different social environment. the came the first consoles (mine was the Atari) great concept now I don't have to go pay to play video games. Arcade then dies. early console gave way tot he comodore 64 and amiga systems, now you can play and hack you games, atari and activision go in the trash and we bust out 5 1/4 inch floppy, jumping from 8 bit to CGA graphics was huge, now we have modems at 1200 baud!

you see where I am going with this, the market is flooded with stuff we have all seen or done, so we need someone to come out with something ultra creative to move into the next realm.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:35:42 PM

His opinion isn't really relevant as he couldn't make it in the PC market so he jumped into the console bandwagon. He only has himself to blame. If these devs wouldn't have dilluted the gaming market buy feeding the console fire, the gaming industry would be stronger and more unified on the PC like it should be. His title list speaks for itself. Not quite shovelware, but doesn't include any "real" games either. If we could get back to where we were a few years ago, where games created memorable experiences, that would get the industry back on track, not the tripe he is spewing: monetization - (just what we whan, more MMORPG with monthly notes, DLC or InApp purchase mechanisms) and socialization (farmville - lol, facebook games, i just want to kill my opponents, not chat with them), or cough up another generation of consoles (yeah, like spending $400+ on the next slew of red ring death or the "not much games" Wii). I've tried consoles and I always end up back at the PC. If the gaming indusrty starts trying to ride on these one hit wonders like farmville, angry birds and crap like that, then the real gamers will get bored and move onto something else.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:38:17 PM

sevirconsole gaming is in a slump because all the systems are 6 years old. That means 6 year old graphics technology. Get off your butts Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo and come out with new systems.

You are assuming that the average household at this time can afford a brand new console. If lets say any of the big three today released their console today realistically its going to retail for $300 or more.
Then there are other costs to consider as well, the games and accessories. So even if accessories were skipped and the average household purchased four games this would be $540 or more. Waiting to release or even come up with final specs at this point is safer and I can't say I blame them for doing so.

I truly hope he is incorrect about the possible future of even more money milking from the consumer after the games initial sale. I for one cannot stand DLC even more so when its DLC released at the same time as the game meaning the work was already completed and is a simple ploy to get money for what should be the complete game. I'll buy a true expansion pack anyday, but to charge me $5 for a extra gun, I think I will pass.

I do foresee times getting even harder for game devs and publishers,
there are already so many fish in a small tank and many of them are quite large the few sprinkles of food isn't going to feed everyone and surprisingly at this time its the smallest of fish doing overall better.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:38:22 PM

scook9If consoles all died I would not mind.....

console gaming is over-rated...i hope that the game market does crash and developers will start developing for PC again :) ....like it used to be about 8 years ago
Score
April 15, 2011 7:39:05 PM

Gaming isn't dying. It's got great and powerful franchises. Oh and the video games industry is the largest entertainment industry, period.
Score
April 15, 2011 7:40:57 PM

ram1009Consoles are crap.

very true...and very expensive, considering how old the tech is...i know that they upgraded a few things but that's because they were not properly designed in the first place, look at what happened with the xbox 360...lol
Score
April 15, 2011 7:42:22 PM

seller417I agree with you scook9, i rarley play game consoles, the PC is just...better

if the game is just ported to the pc with console graphics it's not true :( 
Score
April 15, 2011 7:51:40 PM

I don't really care as long as they make another 60-70 hours worth of Half Life gamyplay before I die. Plus a few more TES installments. That's all I'm asking for. :D 
Score
April 15, 2011 7:54:24 PM

People are broke and they aren't buying computer games. They are spending more time on facebook cuz it's free. Console games are really pathetic now. There's no improvement from one release to the next. You might as well keep playing the old game...especially when you're broke.
Score
April 15, 2011 8:12:07 PM

Lets all pray that consoles do die...
Score
April 15, 2011 8:16:32 PM

nebunconsole gaming is over-rated...i hope that the game market does crash and developers will start developing for PC again ....like it used to be about 8 years ago

Than maybe you should try The Witcher 2. It's a game made only for PC and with PCs in mind. It's also going to be a great RPG, in which the character development and story are most important. Btw. I suggest you do not try Witcher 1 as it was made on Bioware engine and has pretty weak fighting system (but the story is still great). I also hate games designed for consoles as they usually are made just for money and as a platform for future DLCs.
Score
April 15, 2011 8:21:44 PM

Personally a crash is a great thing when one considers that it would push some developers to strive for what they get while others go belly up. It doesn't matter if it is a console or a pc when most of the games out there are not creative or original.
Score
April 15, 2011 8:24:54 PM

nebunvery true...and very expensive, considering how old the tech is...i know that they upgraded a few things but that's because they were not properly designed in the first place, look at what happened with the xbox 360...lol

That's an illusion. People who say PC gaming is cheaper should probably look back on how much money they spent on the gear capable of running those games. If consoles suddenly vanished and every developer started creating games based on the latest technology in the PC market, gaming would get very very expensive. Think how often highend PC gamers replace their gears right now even with consoles hindering modern graphics development. Without consoles the market would spiral out of control. Budget gamers would vanish because budget gears probably gets outdated within months. Everyone who wants to play a decent game would have to shell out 1500 dollars every 2 years to stay on top of the trend.

In a nutshell, yes consoles are bad, but we need them. It's a necessary evil that we must co-exist with to make PC gaming still affordable.
Score
April 15, 2011 8:26:13 PM

I know this is a PC enthusiast site and all but the "PC is l33t" remarks are pointless. PC has better hardware, cool story, really, it's never been said before. The devs however were not happy with the amount of money they were getting from you and jumped to where the grass was greener. By the time they "come back" to PC, they'd be nearly broke, because they've already invested themselves. It isn't going to help you at all, and you don't need to be bitter at consoles because your dev teams abandoned you.

But hey, I agree with you, the PC devs that went to consoles SHOULD go back to making PC games. Companies like Epic put out games like shooters that are graphics dependent, those kinds of games don't belong on consoles. Graphics are worse, controls are worse, they don't go together, it's not going to it's target market and it's worsening what are supposed to be the draws of their games.

And what of the original console devs? Well out of this console generation, Nintendo has been the most successful. MS and Sony are the ones trying to grab PC gamers with high tech and graphics, but they can't compete with real PC hardware, so they're playing a losing game. Consoles don't win with superior hardware, they win with accessibility and innovation. You can call it kiddie, but you were all kiddies once, and it's a market that has always kept the console industry afloat. Many of the software devs need to get some new ideas though. Sequels aren't a problem themselves, but they need to be good sequels. Mario used to be a showcase for what the new system could do, now it's midseason filler. JRPGs used to have interesting stories and characters, now it's more about how many CGI/anime cutscenes they can fit on the disc. Fad games like DDR and Guitar Hero can only hold people over so long before they realize there isn't much else to offer.

Consoles, stop trying to depend on graphics like you're PC, you aren't PC, it isn't going to work. If small "app" games have one thing going for them, it's that they aren't depending on graphics to hold their game up. Small devs are going to pull the rug out from under the huge ones with entertaining gameplay if they don't remember how they got huge to begin with.
Score
April 15, 2011 8:29:43 PM

I still play Baldur's Gate 2, MechCommander, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I receive infinitely more joy from them than any modern game can give me.
Score
April 15, 2011 8:40:08 PM

borisof007I still play Baldur's Gate 2, MechCommander, and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I receive infinitely more joy from them than any modern game can give me.

Yeah, it's really interesting how the devs nowadays have problems with simply reproducing the great games in new settings and graphics. Just look at what happened to Fallout - from a great RPG game it turned into near shooter with the third instalment and only because of Obsidians great skills with making sequels F:NV is closer to an RPG.
Yet, I cannot completely agree that new games can't rival the old ones. Thaere are still some great titles, like Portal, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 2 or Amnesia that bring something fresh to the world of games. And of course there is The Witcher 2 that may (or may not) become the RPG of the year but it is an actual mature game that does not fear such themes as sex or hard moral choices, where you choose between bad and worse having no idea what the results will be later (16 endings, with locations that you'll see only after certain choices - great replayability)
Score
April 15, 2011 8:42:03 PM

Quote:
Cerny said he's looking forward to the monetization and socialization "revolution,"

Oh you mean MMORPGs in which players work as teams and spend tons of money on ingame items and microtransactions? Maybe if you go back in time you can wait for that revolution but it is already here and MMORPGs are raking in millions per month.

What is hurting consoles are MMORPG, Indie games and Steam/GG/Impulse. But consoles have rebounded with motion games such as Kinect/Wii/whatever the third one is.

The author sounds really out of touch with the market. Cool you made Sonic 2, that game was so sweet, but you seem to have completely missed the MMORPG revolution, the motion game revolution, the indie game revolution and the FTP/microtransaction revolution. Yeah, gaming sure is done for I'm going to quickly buy up all the books I can now.
Score
April 15, 2011 8:59:49 PM

Someone said that we need consoles to keep pc gaming affordable?

Thats a ton of crap, you know why?

The way games are built now allows for a simultaneous release of all three console platforms plus PC at the same exact time!

Take CoD:BO for example, simultaneous with the exception of wii.
Score
April 15, 2011 9:03:52 PM

Its true most games seem to be a copy of some defined template. I guess it works, but people are growing tired of it. I think minecraft is a great example of the simplicity he is refering to, removing some elements in favor of the ones that matter, and being original.
Score
April 15, 2011 9:05:21 PM

"impending market crash"
Crash, right. Lets just make a big headline even though it's bullshit! At most it's just a hiccup because the consoles are getting quite frankly old and every game just gets recycled with an added number next to the title.

Also some franchises are doing great and the shift from arcade to PC to console is quite false. There were consoles before the PlayStation/Xbox era that dominated. PCs came in the 90s and it's one of the platforms that won't die considering how it evolves. I can't wait to see BF3 on PC.
Score
April 15, 2011 9:07:11 PM

memadmax said:
Someone said that we need consoles to keep pc gaming affordable?

Thats a ton of crap, you know why?

The way games are built now allows for a simultaneous release of all three console platforms plus PC at the same exact time!

Take CoD:BO for example, simultaneous with the exception of wii.

I think he meant that the fact that consoles are weak in comparison to PCs forces the devs to keep the system requirements on minimal level. And I agree with this as I remember the times when 6 month after buying a new computer you had problems running some games as they required the newest CPU and GPU.
Score
April 15, 2011 9:15:05 PM

I am afraid he may be correct, but DLC that you have to pay for and "social gaming"(not really gaming in my opinion) may take over. Unfortunately, these are the things I hate most, along with MMOs.
It has become just too expensive to develop AAA titles, especially for the PC.
Score
April 15, 2011 9:25:26 PM

jarraramjadthis guy is coo koo! i think he is mad pc market can never die cuz size matters

Not sure exactly where you got this idea, because PC gaming essentially died a long time ago. Games are being developed for console, then ported to PC to keep gamers satisfied. Very few games are actually developed for PCs these days...
Score
April 15, 2011 9:28:06 PM

I think it's true that the market needs to change, but I don't think 'farmville' type games are the future.

What the game industry needs is to look back on their past victories and stop producing the games they are making now. The games need to go back and produce the deeper stories and have gameplay that is challenging and exciting, and also have the newer, better graphics. I know there are good games out there, but I've played my share of bad ones the past few years. I'm just not buying new games because I haven't found anything to pull me from the ones I already own, too.

I rememeber Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 that had exciting areas, but also some challenging puzzles, too. Fast forward 6-10 years and all of a sudden all I need is enough ammo and reflexes to blow everything away with a onion thin storyline. I like the action of RE4 and 5, but I really thought RE2 was just better because of the story that drew me in.

To people who are saying that the game market is heading to the cloud, how is your internet access? Maybe in SE Asia this could work, but on any given day my connection gets so slow because the infrastructure is so backwards where I live that I can't even stream a low grade YouTube video, forget about online gaming of any kind (and yes I have the fastest internet connection money can get in my area). There may come a day when I don't need to spend money on a gaming rig, but 2010 and probably even 2015 won't be that day.
Score
April 15, 2011 9:30:45 PM

Proxy711The only reason the gaming market might "crash" is because of shitty ports and 10-15 hour games with little or no creativity. If anything devs need to start thinking about what to add to the game not subtract from it.if a game has "RPG elements" it better be 40+ hours long. honestly i have a hard time buying a game that doesn't seem like it will have 50+ hours of gameplay, thru whatever means, like multiple play throughs or just one run.Remember Borderlands? a far from perfect game. I spent over 250 hours playing it(both single and multiplayer) ...now that is what I'm talking about.

I completely agree with you on that, borderlands was by far one of my favourite games ever made and im really starting to see a decline in the originality of games nowadays... their all just cod ripoffs or are trying to make some other type of half ass rpg that will only get you 10hrs of game at most
Score
April 15, 2011 9:31:50 PM

jfbyI think it's true that the market needs to change, but I don't think 'farmville' type games are the future.What the game industry needs is to look back on their past victories and stop producing the games they are making now. The games need to go back and produce the deeper stories and have gameplay that is challenging and exciting, and also have the newer, better graphics. I know there are good games out there, but I've played my share of bad ones the past few years. I'm just not buying new games because I haven't found anything to pull me from the ones I already own, too.I rememeber Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 that had exciting areas, but also some challenging puzzles, too. Fast forward 6-10 years and all of a sudden all I need is enough ammo and reflexes to blow everything away with a onion thin storyline. I like the action of RE4 and 5, but I really thought RE2 was just better because of the story that drew me in.To people who are saying that the game market is heading to the cloud, how is your internet access? Maybe in SE Asia this could work, but on any given day my connection gets so slow because the infrastructure is so backwards where I live that I can't even stream a low grade YouTube video, forget about online gaming of any kind (and yes I have the fastest internet connection money can get in my area). There may come a day when I don't need to spend money on a gaming rig, but 2010 and probably even 2015 won't be that day.

Star Trek Online, Diablo III, Civilization are a few games developed for the PC primarily (or for the PC only) but I would say that PC has lost it's edge over the last 3-4 years. I don't think it's done for good, but it's going to take some innovative games to come out before people will part with their money like they did in the early 2000s.
Score
April 15, 2011 9:33:12 PM

Simple.....They need to create 2d games again like the early final fantasys cept with the HD engine :) 
Score
April 15, 2011 9:45:18 PM

Gaming market isnt dying, its just flooded with a ridiculous amount of content, most of which sucks. If you look at good, quality, fun games... you still see them doing well. I mean, portal 2 is gonna be a huge release. It may not have a ton of content or anything, but its a fantastic concept and its really fun, it has a style of its own.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
April 15, 2011 9:51:01 PM

Any game that becomes an ongoing expense is a game I won't buy. The impending crash of the U.S. Dollar and ensuing [hyper] inflation will price such games out of reach.
It is the "monetization" of so many things that is driving consumers away.
Score
April 15, 2011 10:01:14 PM

"Gaming market isnt dying, its just flooded with a ridiculous amount of content, most of which sucks."

No I think you nailed it. The game market is flooded, it's flooded with good games, mediocre games, and garbage. It's so flooded that unless an upcoming game has a stupendous pedigree it's not even news any more.
Score
April 15, 2011 10:28:28 PM

If the market crashes- people will still make games, art, music, movies. It will never end.

Its art. People will create it regardless if theres money to be made.

Might just get some quality gameplay back if it did crash. Graphics are great but gameplay is better.
Score
April 15, 2011 10:49:04 PM

i want a natural crash. We would get a surge of true artist taking over a confused market and the best of the experiments would become the new building blocks. ( maybe open gl on steroids)
Score
!