Solved

In need of a great RTS!

Trying this genre out for the first time and need some direction. Any suggestions? :D
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about great
  1. Oh man what direction to go with this. Realism = Company of Heroes or Soldier: Heroes of WWII. Fantasy = Starcraft I and II, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Those are probably the top ones I have played for each subgenra. There are tons of others like Age of Empires II, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth. I'm sure others have more input too.
  2. The RTS games that stood out to me the most through all my life were definitely the Red Alert and Command and Conquor series.
    Definitely try them out, the new ones that have come out arent as good as the earlier games but they still provide a great mixture of all the current RTS games, the battles aren't too short but their not so long that you get tired of one game, it requires minimal skill and a small learning curve to start (unless you're playing online of course). and there is a mixture of modern warfare, future warfare and Fantasy warfare in the series.

    That or Supreme Commander if you're into 100 year long battles, the first one is much better than the second one.. The thing I find disappointing about RTS games that have long battles is that you spend so long creating a big beautiful base and empire crushing armies, then once you've defeated the enemy its all gone, the game is finished and you no longer have your base. For myself that is a downside, i grow too attached to my base haha.

    Thats why the above series is great. Lots of cool ***.
  3. CrestfallenDesign said:
    The RTS games that stood out to me the most through all my life were definitely the Red Alert and Command and Conquor series.
    Definitely try them out, the new ones that have come out arent as good as the earlier games but they still provide a great mixture of all the current RTS games, the battles aren't too short but their not so long that you get tired of one game, it requires minimal skill and a small learning curve to start (unless you're playing online of course). and there is a mixture of modern warfare, future warfare and Fantasy warfare in the series.

    That or Supreme Commander if you're into 100 year long battles, the first one is much better than the second one.. The thing I find disappointing about RTS games that have long battles is that you spend so long creating a big beautiful base and empire crushing armies, then once you've defeated the enemy its all gone, the game is finished and you no longer have your base. For myself that is a downside, i grow too attached to my base haha.

    Thats why the above series is great. Lots of cool ***.


    I should smack myself for forgetting Red Alert. I grew up playing Red Alert: Retaliation on the Playstation. Definitely worth a go. Supreme commander 1 was definitely better. Number 2 was so watered down it wasn't fun anymore. Possibily even worth trying Total Annihilation? The game that Supreme Commander was based off of. A twist to base building could be Stronghold 2. Except it is castle building, but I still played it for hours just to make a castle and town that was huge.
  4. Definitely the total war series for me. Medieval 2 is great as is its expansion. There is an awesome mod called the third age which puts LOTOR into an RTS game.

    Shogun 2 is also great fun but entirely different. The level of combat detail is amazing though.
  5. A lot of these suggestions are OLD. If you want a nice graphic experience you may want to limit yourself to games released in the last 5 years (or so).

    That being said, they're all really good suggestions and after SC2 (2010) I've played TA (1997) the most of the above mentioned games.
  6. Great suggestions...I'm not as concerned about graphics (though that's a plus), more than I am the AI and online play.

    Is there a CS:S equivalent for RTSs in terms of online popularity?
  7. I recommend Starcraft 2 for multiplayer and the total war series for single
  8. C&C the 1st Decade.
    Don't laugh. I know it's older than father time but it's the collection that got me started on RTS and turned me into a junkie. So what if all the units are more or less just red and blue blocks!? If you got drunk enough any other RTS would look pretty much the same way. :pt1cable:

    Oh, and it's cheap! $12 for 12 games. Can't beat that.
  9. tinyE said:
    C&C the 1st Decade.
    Don't laugh. I know it's older than father time but it's the collection that got me started on RTS and turned me into a junkie. So what if all the units are more or less just red and blue blocks!? If you got drunk enough any other RTS would look pretty much the same way. :pt1cable:

    Oh, and it's cheap! $12 for 12 games. Can't beat that.

    A couple of truth nuggets there ^

    @ Maarsch
    I wouldnt say tiberium wars is outdated in graphics? from what I remember it looked amazing last time I played it, I've gone back to Yuri's Revenge with the unofficial expansion to add extra yuri classes, units and graphics and although the graphics aren't amazing its still one of the best RTS games i've played. The Ai is fairly hard in the expansion though just keep that in mind, they rush you like its going out of style, you will need to find the best ways to defend your base before you worry about attacking. Dont waste your time with Red Alert 3 in my opinion, it just started getting a tad too crazy for me, plus im not a huge fan of unit caps, but who knows you might like it.

    Also, if you plan on getting Command & Conquor 4 Tiberium Twilight just know that they were trying a different style of gameplay and it isnt really the same as your classic RTS (build-a-base) game, for me it works, but it has kicked up a stink with a lot of other C&C fans because it was different.

    It'd be fair to point out that the total war franchise is in a genre of its own as the style of gameplay is very different in terms of what you do when you arent battling. you will know when you play it, the battles are amazing but it isnt set to one map that you have to build a base on, well technically it is.. It's really fun when you get into it but some people dont usually get past the learning curve.
  10. That compilation comes with Generals which a lot of people love because it isn't quite as cartoonish and it's ten times faster, and oh yeah, you get to use chemical weapons and civilian riots and car bombs.
  11. "Guarding the GLA underground"
  12. Has anybody played LOTR:BFME or Star Wars: Empire at War? I'm thinking about either one of those (because I like LOTR and SW), or the C&C games you've mentioned..
  13. Best answer
    calmstateofmind said:
    Has anybody played LOTR:BFME or Star Wars: Empire at War? I'm thinking about either one of those (because I like LOTR and SW), or the C&C games you've mentioned..



    I have SW Empire at War and it's great...IF you are a Star Wars fan. The graphics are fun and the space battles are amazing (ships are in correct proportion) so imagine going up against a Star Destroyer that takes up half the screen, all of a sudden you see dozens of white specs start coming out of it, so you pause, zoom in, and the white specs turn out to be highly detailed tie fighters.

    Now, there is no resource gathering. You land and take over specific checkpoints, each one allowing you to lay down defenses and call in more reinforcements. Once the battle is over you lay down what you want to build on a grid and it automatically gets placed on the planet, so there really is no construction either; certainly nothing like C&C or the old Warcraft. Anyway you basically go from planet to planet taking them over with your enemy trying to do the same. You can set up space stations to prevent a landing and thats when the cool space battles take place. With the music and units it is a lot of fun but honestly can get kind of boring after a while. Someone with no interest in Star Wars may lose interest sooner than later. I'd recommend it if you can get the "Gold Pack" at a reasonable price. It's going for around $10 on Amazon.

    Before I forget, if you liked Age of Empires 2 and you love Star Wars then the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga (orignal plus Clone campaign expansion) is a MUST have. It is old, about the same age as AOE 2 and even uses the same setup and graphics engine, but for a SW fanatic its a dream. I STILL play it constantly even though I've beaten every campaign over and over and over. You get to use Luke, Han, Vader, Darth Maul, the droids, Anakin, Obi Wan, yes Jar Jar, Chewey, Qui-Gon, etc. You get to kill huts, sand people, countless battle droids. Make an army of Jedi, send em in, convert the whole damn Empire base, or slice em all to hell with your sabres; it's your call.

    Sorry, I'm ranting. I'll stop now. :pt1cable:
  14. I liked Galactic Battlegrunds also, its like playing AOE 2 with a texture mod haha. very fun game though.
  15. Company of heroes is in my opinion the best RTS. It has a little bit of a learning curve, but most RTS's do. I would say that it is definitely not "dumbed down" like a lot of modern RTS's. You can catch it on a steam sale for little to nothing at times (the game is about 5 years old now, maybe more).

    Good luck finding a good RTS :)
  16. calmstateofmind said:
    Has anybody played LOTR:BFME or Star Wars: Empire at War? I'm thinking about either one of those (because I like LOTR and SW), or the C&C games you've mentioned..



    I love Star Wars as well, and EaW I honestly would get just to do space battles alone. They are probably one of the best takes of space combat I have played, and it's SW! The land battles are allright in my opinion. Other "space" RTS games you can look at are Sins of a Solar Empire as well as Homeworld. Those are two pretty good ones for the space genre. And as I think I mentioned above I mentioned LOTR:BFME. I was fairly happy about it overall.

    The Starcraft series is probably the most popular online RTS right now.
  17. Yeah I've heard about Sins of a Solar Empire...I've seen a friend play it recently but it looked sooo boring; maybe because he had the sound off? Lol. I think I'll start with SW:EaW though and go from there. It's pretty cheap too!

    Thanks for all the suggestions!
  18. Best answer selected by calmstateofmind.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games