AthlonXP3000 Heatsink - HELP !

griggar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Guys I am after some advice please. I currently have an AlthonXP3000 processor and ABIT NF7-S Mobo. The cooler I was sold was the Aqualia water cooler. This to be honest is crap (to be blunt) - the processor keeps shutting down because it is overheating. Can any of you offer some advice as a replacement - be it water cooled or just plain old heatsink. And what case fan etc I should get. (Don't currently have a case fan - only one is in the 500W PSU) Thanks in advance (BTW - anyone want to buy a second hand water cooler !!!??) :)

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I'd just get a new pump (Eheim or whatever) and a new radiator. The waterblock supplied with your kit seems beefy enough to handle the heat transfer, but it couldn't hurt to replace that too with a Dangerden block.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lcars_e/compspecs.html" target="_new">Computer Specs</A>

I had a sammich in my head!
<i>-GIR</i>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
It's winter time here in el michigan. A nice old small room fan inside a duct from the window straight into the case.
It's about -5f out right now at night. Should do the trick.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

griggar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Guys thanks for your advice - do you think I should stick with the H20 option or switch back to heatsink/fan combo - having now seen the really bad write ups that have been given for the Aqualia (and I only have myself to blame for not checking first) I'm slightly nervous about spending more money on something that may fail again. The Aqualia sits in a 5.25 drive bay which I feel may have been causing the problem. Can you suggest what I should do - buy a replacement water option or switch back to somethink like the thermalright slk900u which seems to have some good reviews with a vantec 90 fan

griggar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
Thanks Wusy - I've already wasted £80 on the aqualia so I don't really want to spend huge amounts more to replace it - I just want to get the machine working properly again - not really looked into overclocking yet - want to get the thing stable first

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
If you're just looking to get it stable i would just go out and buy a HSF from your local shop. Don't know what kind of stores you have around you but you'll more then likely want to get the Aero 7+ if they have it. It will get the job done and it's not a loud fan... or even it's replacement the Jet 7 i think it's called is a much more powerful fan then the aero 7+.

Of course there are gonna be better ones out there but if you're just needing a quick fix those 2 there are probably gonna be the best that most mainstream electronics stores are gonna carry. Can always order something better online later.