New EVDO phones & arbitrary video sources?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 1, 2005 12:10:51 PM

I'd like to view the security cameras from my home automation system on
an EVDO phone. Is this possible?

In other words, can I create a web page, WAP applicaiton, or other
web-based service so that I can visit from my phone and view live
video?

If not, could I at least send a "video message" from my home automation
system? Is the format of the video message published or
reverse-engineerable? Will Verizon's service allow video messages from
a non-verizon address?

Thanks in advance!
June 1, 2005 4:38:18 PM

Following up to my own post: I bit the bullet and did a multi-hour call
to Verizon, explaining my situation to each person and getting bumped
up to the next level of support until I got someone who was able to ask
someone for these answers (never did talk directly to someone with the
answers)

mrt@thomaszone.com wrote:
> I'd like to view the security cameras from my home automation system on
> an EVDO phone. Is this possible?
>
> In other words, can I create a web page, WAP applicaiton, or other
> web-based service so that I can visit from my phone and view live
> video?

Nope. The streaming video support is limited to the VCAST service, and
that is limited to items provided by Verizon. Wireless Web 2.0 does not
support streaming video.

There is a logitech streaming video application, but it is not
available on any EVDO phone. And according to the site, it requires a
Logitech webcam.

So unless I find a way to hack the phone and point to an alternate
source for VCAST videos, and reverse-engineer the format for the
streaming server to provide my own, I'm out of luck.

> If not, could I at least send a "video message" from my home automation
> system? Is the format of the video message published or
> reverse-engineerable? Will Verizon's service allow video messages from
> a non-verizon address?

This should be possible. The CS rep send a video message from one phone
to a hotmail account, and then forwarded it to another phone and it
worked. If that's the case, it's just a matter of creating the video in
the proper format (avi/mov). I imagine there's a size limitation but
assuming a mostly static picture, I may be able to get more than the
stated limit of 15 seconds in the video.

I'll set up my system to capture video when motion is detected and send
it to my phone. This may be more useful anyway.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:39:05 AM

I set up a web cam using Webcam32 from Surveyor (http://www.surveyor.com)
and have it updating an image file on my web site every few seconds. This
is just a regular HTML page formatted so that the image fits well on my
phone display. Not exactly streaming video, but it works pretty well.
Since the EVDO connectivity is pretty fast, the page updates quickly on my
phone. I use this setup to monitor the front yard and driveway of my home.

-Reed
!