Is this a sign that my CPU fan will die?

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
About 2 days ago, my CPU fan started throttling itself for no apparent reason. It is the ThermalTake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition HSF. I am using the manual fan speed controls, but I have the knob about 1/2 way (line pointing up) and since two days ago, its speed has been going up and down anywhere between 3600rpm and 4000rpm. I definitely know that something is going on because I can hear the speed differences.

Does this mean that my fan is about to die and I need to get a replacement? If yes, what fans would you recommend? The fan that it has now seems a bit noisy at 4800rpm which is the max.

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Make sure the fan isn't to dusty, might be the reason - also, check your power output on the 12V line, might just be that its fluctuating (you can also try connecting the fan to another system, or even on another power lead). Otherwise Panaflos are pretty quiet and have a variety of fans to choose from.

<b>don't hold strong opinions about things you don't understand</b>

...<i><b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b></i>