Best $499 System?

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 7, 2004 3:02:26 AM

I'm looking for a cheap $499ish system for my Mom. She lives on the other side
of the country so I won't be able to help her other than making a
recommendation. I'm more impressed with the Dell than the Gateway. After
seeing a TV ad for HP, I checked that system out and it seems to offer quite a
bit more for the money. I've never been a fan of HP's. Does anyone know how
they compare to the Dell?

More about : 499 system

April 7, 2004 3:02:27 AM

Personally I'd buy an HP before I'd buy a Dell. The Dell cheaper system
only comes with 128MB of ram while it runs XP, that's a joke. 256mb is okay
but 512MB is pretty much recomended. Unless your mom is a hard core gamer
or needs to do heavey duty graphic/movie editing than the HP looks like a
good deal:

Here's a a510e series HP I customized on the site:

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+ operating at 1.917GHz
XP Home
512MB DDR PC2700
40 GB 54000 Hard Drive
Either a 48x CD-ROM or a 16x DVD-ROM or a 48x CD-RW Drive
No Second Drive
2 USB 2.0, 1 Firewire ports + WinDVD
3.5" floppy drive
64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForceFX(TM) 5100, TV-Out Graphic Card
Integrated 5.1 Sound
HP pavilion m703c 17" Monitor
HP Internet Keyboard, HP Scroller Mouse
Harman-Kardon 2-Piece Active Speakers
Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus
No more of the other stuff

Price: $659.98 - $100 mail in rebates = $559.98 with free shipping

I'd get the HP. Hell, if she doesn't need a floppy drive take another $20
off and if she doesn't play new high graphic games or edit pics/movies you
could scratch the NVIDIA graphic card and get the "Integrated Graphics" to
take off another $50. Would be the perfect machine for my mother as she
doesn't game or edit.

Smith

"Two Pi R" <twopir@aol.compostheap> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a cheap $499ish system for my Mom. She lives on the other
side
> of the country so I won't be able to help her other than making a
> recommendation. I'm more impressed with the Dell than the Gateway. After
> seeing a TV ad for HP, I checked that system out and it seems to offer
quite a
> bit more for the money. I've never been a fan of HP's. Does anyone know
how
> they compare to the Dell?
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 5:54:41 AM

Based on experience servicing and setting up the two brands, I'd opt for a Dell
with a minimum of 256MB. HPs are difficult to service and the parts inside the
HP boxes tend to be from the lower end of the spectrum... Ben Myers

On 06 Apr 2004 23:02:26 GMT, twopir@aol.compostheap (Two Pi R) wrote:

>I'm looking for a cheap $499ish system for my Mom. She lives on the other side
>of the country so I won't be able to help her other than making a
>recommendation. I'm more impressed with the Dell than the Gateway. After
>seeing a TV ad for HP, I checked that system out and it seems to offer quite a
>bit more for the money. I've never been a fan of HP's. Does anyone know how
>they compare to the Dell?
Related resources
April 7, 2004 7:53:56 AM

As an owner of three GW's and two e-machines, I would choose the R-machine. You can get the whole ball of wax, CPU,
Monitor, printer for $349, I have two and they both work very well.

On 06 Apr 2004 23:02:26 GMT, twopir@aol.compostheap (Two Pi R) wrote:

>I'm looking for a cheap $499ish system for my Mom. She lives on the other side
>of the country so I won't be able to help her other than making a
>recommendation. I'm more impressed with the Dell than the Gateway. After
>seeing a TV ad for HP, I checked that system out and it seems to offer quite a
>bit more for the money. I've never been a fan of HP's. Does anyone know how
>they compare to the Dell?
April 7, 2004 10:37:18 PM

HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> scribbled some garbage about a problem in
news:D ou670hbd7afvdd2oi3gbeaa7rbfmdnhlo@4ax.com: and Dman answered with
his usually drivel in the following manner!

> As an owner of three GW's and two e-machines, I would choose the
> R-machine. You can get the whole ball of wax, CPU, Monitor, printer
> for $349, I have two and they both work very well.
>

> On 06 Apr 2004 23:02:26 GMT, twopir@aol.compostheap (Two Pi R) wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a cheap $499ish system for my Mom. She lives on the
>>other side of the country so I won't be able to help her other than
>>making a recommendation. I'm more impressed with the Dell than the
>>Gateway. After seeing a TV ad for HP, I checked that system out and
>>it seems to offer quite a bit more for the money. I've never been a
>>fan of HP's. Does anyone know how they compare to the Dell?

And where are these R-Machines sold...

--
( ,&&&.
) .,.&&

The "R" key is next to the "E" key, and I am a poor typist <G>. Of course I mean the "E" machine

HD

Good catch though...

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 18:37:18 +0000 (UTC), DMan <lostintheworld@of.spam.control> wrote:

>HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> scribbled some garbage about a problem in
>news:D ou670hbd7afvdd2oi3gbeaa7rbfmdnhlo@4ax.com: and Dman answered with
>his usually drivel in the following manner!
>
>> As an owner of three GW's and two e-machines, I would choose the
>> R-machine. You can get the whole ball of wax, CPU, Monitor, printer
>> for $349, I have two and they both work very well.
>>

>> On 06 Apr 2004 23:02:26 GMT, twopir@aol.compostheap (Two Pi R) wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a cheap $499ish system for my Mom. She lives on the
>>>other side of the country so I won't be able to help her other than
>>>making a recommendation. I'm more impressed with the Dell than the
>>>Gateway. After seeing a TV ad for HP, I checked that system out and
>>>it seems to offer quite a bit more for the money. I've never been a
>>>fan of HP's. Does anyone know how they compare to the Dell?
>>

>And where are these R-Machines sold...
April 8, 2004 11:16:15 PM

HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> scribbled some garbage about a problem in
news:31f970detkhjt2biut0jbpa8r7pkq8gnbl@4ax.com: and Dman answered with
his usually drivel in the following manner!

> The "R" key is next to the "E" key, and I am a poor typist <G>. Of
> course I mean the "E" machine
>
> HD
>
> Good catch though...
>

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 18:37:18 +0000 (UTC), DMan
> <lostintheworld@of.spam.control> wrote:
>
>>HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> scribbled some garbage about a problem in
>>news:D ou670hbd7afvdd2oi3gbeaa7rbfmdnhlo@4ax.com: and Dman answered
>>with his usually drivel in the following manner!
>>
>>> As an owner of three GW's and two e-machines, I would choose the
>>> R-machine. You can get the whole ball of wax, CPU, Monitor, printer
>>> for $349, I have two and they both work very well.

>>And where are these R-Machines sold...

(; thanks, I thought I was missing something...

--
( ,&&&.
) .,.&&

"DMan" <lostintheworld@of.spam.control> wrote in message
> HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> scribbled some garbage about a problem in
> news:31f970detkhjt2biut0jbpa8r7pkq8gnbl@4ax.com: and Dman answered with
> his usually drivel in the following manner!
>
> > The "R" key is next to the "E" key, and I am a poor typist <G>. Of
> > course I mean the "E" machine
> >
> > HD
> >
> > Good catch though...
> >

> > On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 18:37:18 +0000 (UTC), DMan
> > <lostintheworld@of.spam.control> wrote:
> >
> >>HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> scribbled some garbage about a problem in
> >>news:D ou670hbd7afvdd2oi3gbeaa7rbfmdnhlo@4ax.com: and Dman answered
> >>with his usually drivel in the following manner!

> >>And where are these R-Machines sold...
> >

> (; thanks, I thought I was missing something...
>
> --
> ( ,&&&.
> ) .,.&&
> ( ( \=__/
> ) ,'-'.
> ( ( ,, _.__|/ /|
> ) /\ -((------((_|___/ |
> ( // | (`' (( `'--|
> _ -.;_/ \\--._ \\ \-._/.
> (_;-// | \ \-'.\ <_,\_\`--'|
> ( `.__ _ ___,') <_,-'__,'
> `'(_ )_)(_)_)'

why buy a 499 computer ?
get real buy a better one then that

a good pc toda would still be around 1500
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 5:01:49 PM

What is a "good" PC depends on what ones needs are. The innards of a Dell
Dimension 2400 now-on-sale-for-$339-with-rebates-and-all-the-the-scams are
pretty darn good. A Pentium 4 is a Pentium 4 is a Pentium 4. The motherboard
is designed by Intel and is Intel-branded, tho no longer made in an Intel
factory. (Hon Hai makes Intel's boards.) The cooling fan is a Foxconn, a
respected brand name for the Hon Hai company. The case is sturdy. The CD-RW
drive is made by Liteon, also a respectable manufacturer. The hard drive is
usually a Maxtor, not my favorite. The keyboard and mouse are decently made.
The motherboard has all the built-ins: video, sound, 10/100 Ethernet, a bunch of
USB ports. No floppy drive. All of the above meet my standard for goodness,
although the computer does not meet my own personal and often unusual needs.
Add a monitor and off you go.

I can provide a similar breakdown of the parts inside IBM desktop and microATX
towers, too. Also well made, costing more than the Dell, but not even close to
$1500.

$1500 might buy just the right computer for some, and might buy literally too
much computer for others... Ben Myers

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 02:09:29 -0400, "news" <stingray_2010@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"DMan" <lostintheworld@of.spam.control> wrote in message
>> HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> scribbled some garbage about a problem in
>> news:31f970detkhjt2biut0jbpa8r7pkq8gnbl@4ax.com: and Dman answered with
>> his usually drivel in the following manner!
>>
>> > The "R" key is next to the "E" key, and I am a poor typist <G>. Of
>> > course I mean the "E" machine
>> >
>> > HD
>> >
>> > Good catch though...

>> (; thanks, I thought I was missing something...
>>
>> --
>> ( ,&&&.
>> ) .,.&&
>> ( ( \=__/
>> ) ,'-'.
>> ( ( ,, _.__|/ /|
>> ) /\ -((------((_|___/ |
>> ( // | (`' (( `'--|
>> _ -.;_/ \\--._ \\ \-._/.
>> (_;-// | \ \-'.\ <_,\_\`--'|
>> ( `.__ _ ___,') <_,-'__,'
>> `'(_ )_)(_)_)'
>
> why buy a 499 computer ?
>get real buy a better one then that
>
>a good pc toda would still be around 1500

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 5:24:20 PM

Close. Foxconn is a major supplier of components to Dell (and others), but
the 2400 and 4600 systems are built by Mitac in China.

There's very little difference between brands of any of the low-end
contract-built PCs these days - whether Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq,
eMachines, etc. - they all about the same in terms of components.

!