Leaked Video Shows Windows 8 Metro UI Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
It looks EXACTLY like Windows 7, so they're going to give it a facelift and call it Windows 8?

That's like putting a different blanket over a bed and saying you have a new bed!

I sure do hope they add some fantastic features to it, no matter what I'll always be curious about any kind of new OS or hardware hitting the market.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I think MS is taking a page out of apples hand book with future OS "upgrades/updates".

So really Win8 is really more like a win7.1 update like mac OSX.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Of course it looks like 7. They are still in the early stages of beta. It probably wont start looking significantly different until they are further along with development. Same thing happened with 7. It looked like Vista's twin for the longest time, until they go further along.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]It looks EXACTLY like Windows 7, so they're going to give it a facelift and call it Windows 8?That's like putting a different blanket over a bed and saying you have a new bed!I sure do hope they add some fantastic features to it, no matter what I'll always be curious about any kind of new OS or hardware hitting the market.[/citation]
to say they're throwing a new blanket on the bed and calling it a new bed would be like saying they gave windows 98 a windows 7 theme, but has all the capabilities of 98 still. In this case, its like putting the same sheets from the old bed onto a brand new, improved bed - thus the OS is entirely different in the background, but the GUI remains the same. In conclusion, there will be big differences in the OS's i believe..One being for individual, offline based client use, the other requiring all the cloud nonsense and constant online activity. Either way, I don't like the idea of the cloud and staying connected..so I will always prefer windows 7 over this concept.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]It looks EXACTLY like Windows 7, so they're going to give it a facelift and call it Windows 8?That's like putting a different blanket over a bed and saying you have a new bed!I sure do hope they add some fantastic features to it, no matter what I'll always be curious about any kind of new OS or hardware hitting the market.[/citation]

They're basically adding ARM support and that's pretty much it. Not that ARM isn't a big deal, but for the average joe it's not something that will be a game changer. Still no winfs or any other long lost and promised feature.

cloud computing is like handing someone complete control of your computer and data. There is no security in this. May as well give someone you dont even know your house and car keys and trust that they will look after it.....

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]They're basically adding ARM support and that's pretty much it. Not that ARM isn't a big deal, but for the average joe it's not something that will be a game changer. Still no winfs or any other long lost and promised feature.[/citation]

how cheap is an arm processor?
many people only use the pc to look at email, video and web. a dual core arm can handle hd video right? hell arms are up to quad cores now ant at 2.5ghz, id love to see, clock for clock, how these compare to intel and amd, as these could bring a new era of computers, and possibly drive down netbook and net top costs EVEN MORE.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
CTRL ALT DEL - something a person with one arm loves to do every time they turn on their computer.

Needs work... its really ONLY useful as a screen saver > to relog-in. Otherwise, not needed when you turn on the damn computer.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
After XP people have gotten to expect each new Windows iteration to represent some massive overhaul each time, despite the fact that's not how the rest of the software ecosystem works, or Microsoft did updates prior to XP; e.g. going from Windows 95 to Windows 98. Windows 7 was not a major update from Windows Vista either - although the changes they did make made a major different to overall user experience, they were still just minor UI tweaks and general performance/stability cleanup.

The fact all the leaks look the same as Windows 7 doesn't necessarily mean anything since the UI is the last thing to change during development, Windows 7 leaks were identical to Vista for years. That said, I don't really see why they would make dramatic changes to the UI after only recently switching to the Windows 7 way of doing things, I mean the previous UI behavior essentially remained unchanged from Windows 95 through to Windows Vista.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Still no winfs or any other long lost and promised feature.[/citation]
I prefer that they'd support some newer filesystems before throwing extra layers like WinFS on the aging NTFS filesystem.

[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]That said, I don't really see why they would make dramatic changes to the UI after only recently switching to the Windows 7 way of doing things, I mean the previous UI behavior essentially remained unchanged from Windows 95 through to Windows Vista.[/citation]
I'd say that it still hasn't changed much. So you have a slightly modified taskbar interface... big deal. The majority of the Windows 7 UI behaves the same as any OS with a compositing window manager.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Of course it looks like Windows 7 and were not even meant to see the OS in this very early build either because you get people like Joytech22 and Proxy711 making negative comments on an OS that they haven't used.

I won't pass judgement until I have a play with the BETA version but even at this early stage what I will say it's about bloody time Microsoft added ARM support for Windows and broke up the whole Microsoft/Intel or Intsoft or Microtel cartel that dominated the industry for the past 20 years.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]CTRL ALT DEL - something a person with one arm loves to do every time they turn on their computer.Needs work... its really ONLY useful as a screen saver > to relog-in. Otherwise, not needed when you turn on the damn computer.[/citation]

Haha very funnies mister! but if you rewatch the video dr.jones you'll realize that you can switch between the login screens. Either using the CTRL ALT DELETE method, or by just clicking on your user icon and typing in the password.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Ok some of you are just plain Dumb including Marcus let me get some stuff out there .

first thing the 7850 leak was a Real windows 8 build it has been confirmed in many places around the Web it is an Early M1 build of windows 8 it has some features in place already that cant simply be slip streamed to a damn ISO of windows 7.

Now as for Windows 8 looks in general ok this is an early on stages of the Development of windows 8 so it wont have many changes to the UI later on and even then i am sure some of Windows 8 will keep in the windows 7 look AKA the Taskbar witch will have some changes of sorts.

link to screenshots of Windows 7 build 6519 at this point looks entirely similar to vista with minor UI changes very Minor http://www.zakeh.com/blog/2008/04/04/

Now as for the new build video 7955 it is entirly real and has many many new features already implimented in it. links to neowin.net

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-hybrid-boot-discovered

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-cloud-features-uncovered

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-to-support-portable-workspace-push-notifications-and-other-apps-discovered

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-genuine-center-image-surfaces

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-testing-ribbon-ui-in-windows-8

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-to-allow-software-acceleration-makes-aero-ubiquitous

Its fun to speculate but the sensible thing to do would be to try to either hop aboard the BETA tester program or wait and see the reviews of other people that spent their money on this new software and if the reviews prove bad enough, don't buy it. If enough people were smart enough to do that and not waste their money (like I did on Vista) that may send a message to Microsoft to listen to the consumer on their next release.

A company as powerful as Microsoft has a direction they want to go, they just have to figure out how to get as many consumers on board to make it work...

G

Whoa! Was that impressive or what?? I especially like the little circle-line logo button that hides the restart and shutdown commands. Seems like I've seen that before.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Windows still has the old memory architecture 640k base then extended memory. I still remember the IBM OS 2 Warp advertisement that had MS as the man behind the curtain. OS 2 Warp would have been a better choice, kind of like Betamax was a better tape. Owe well we now have Ubuntu and OS X.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hmm... I think I'll try it as a beta when it comes out and I'm definately not passing judgement on something so young in its lifecycle. I probably will not be purchasing it when it comes out though. It's a bit pointless it seems. It's like installing iOS on an OSX computer. What's the point? That is what I see Windows 8 as right now but I hope my mindset will change soon.

G

That login screen has the gayest background I've ever seen. Other than that, it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.