Problems with dvd rom drive

I have a Gateway 1800 that i bought new a few years ago. For quite a
while I was running a CD-rw and a DVD rom both in addition to the
3.5 floppy and had no problems. A few weeks ago the dvd rom started
giving me problems as it would no longer play dvd s or cds. I
figured the unit had just gone out so I boutht a new one and installed
itl. I still have the same problem. When I put a cd in the unitm
the light on the dvd rom stats flashing on and off like normat but the
cd does not autostart. When I go into my computer and click on that
particular drive, I get an illegal access code errir nessage, If I
mess around and click this and that button, finally a software type of
cd will play.

I checked the jumper settings and one is set to master and the other
is set to slave as it is suppose to be. I am running Windows xp home.
Help!!
2 answers Last reply
More about problems drive

    Can someone help me>

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 09:52:20 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a Gateway 1800 that i bought new a few years ago. For quite a
    >while I was running a CD-rw and a DVD rom both in addition to the
    >3.5 floppy and had no problems. A few weeks ago the dvd rom started
    >giving me problems as it would no longer play dvd s or cds. I
    >figured the unit had just gone out so I boutht a new one and installed
    >itl. I still have the same problem. When I put a cd in the unitm
    >the light on the dvd rom stats flashing on and off like normat but the
    >cd does not autostart. When I go into my computer and click on that
    >particular drive, I get an illegal access code errir nessage, If I
    >mess around and click this and that button, finally a software type of
    >cd will play.
    >
    >I checked the jumper settings and one is set to master and the other
    >is set to slave as it is suppose to be. I am running Windows xp home.
    >Help!!

    Hi Maria,
    The problem may not be the DVD drive, it could be the CDRW drive
    is causing a problem with the bus. To test this unplug the data cable
    to the CDRW drive and see if the DVD works properly, if you are still
    having a problem with the DVD try replacing the data cable. Of course
    check the obvious make sure the data cable is seated properly not only
    only the drives but on the motherboard as well.
    I have seen this issue numerous times a specific model CDRW
    used on Gateway computers that have a round eject button.

    Maria Brown wrote:
    > Can someone help me>
    >
    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 09:52:20 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Gateway 1800 that i bought new a few years ago. For quite a
    >>while I was running a CD-rw and a DVD rom both in addition to the
    >>3.5 floppy and had no problems. A few weeks ago the dvd rom started
    >>giving me problems as it would no longer play dvd s or cds. I
    >>figured the unit had just gone out so I boutht a new one and installed
    >>itl. I still have the same problem. When I put a cd in the unitm
    >>the light on the dvd rom stats flashing on and off like normat but the
    >>cd does not autostart. When I go into my computer and click on that
    >>particular drive, I get an illegal access code errir nessage, If I
    >>mess around and click this and that button, finally a software type of
    >>cd will play.
    >>
    >>I checked the jumper settings and one is set to master and the other
    >>is set to slave as it is suppose to be. I am running Windows xp home.
    >>Help!!

Gateway CD-Rom DVD Drives Computers