Ready to assemble

I have the parts. Do I want to attach all cards and peripherals before or
after loading XP?
6 answers Last reply
More about ready assemble

    Is your question a late April Fool's joke? ... Ben Myers

    > Is your question a late April Fool's joke? ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 05:17:56 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have the parts. Do I want to attach all cards and peripherals before or
    > >after loading XP?
    > >

    > Hello:
    What I ususally do and what some experts recommend,
    is that you only install the cards that need to be there for the machine to
    run, before loading xp. This way, if there are any problems in the
    installation of o.s. the possible source problems will be less.
    Even in some of the "computer magazines" they say to not even
    install modems, nic cards, sound cards, attach any periphials except monitor
    etc.
    Hope this helps.

    Much regards
    Jerry

    No! I've never done this with a new Mboard and cpu. I've been playing with
    some old hdd's, loading XP, and the first thing it wants to do is check for
    driver updates. Soooo, I wondered if I should attach everything and let it!

    > Is your question a late April Fool's joke? ... Ben Myers

    Do not connect any USB or firewire devices. Connect everything internal,
    install XP, then the chipset drivers, and then SP1. Patch XP with the
    msblaster patch, go online and complete the patches (it helps to have
    broadband, as with all XP patches including SP1, you'll be over 100 MBytes
    to download).

    "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > I have the parts. Do I want to attach all cards and peripherals before or
    > after loading XP?

    Check for updates. If you have a version of XP that requires product
    activition, activating the product effectively makes the current hardware
    configuration (more or less) the only valid one for the product's Certificate of
    Authentication.

    The automated Windows check for updates works only for the peripherals currently
    attached to the computer. And it checks for the need to install all the needed
    critical fixes, security patches, and other updates. As Edward Neth stated, if
    you are using dialup, plan to spend a long time getting the updates done. For
    the most part, devices like printers, scanners, USB card readers and the like
    are not part of Microsoft's Windows update process, over 90% of which is usually
    concerned with patching up Microsoft's own software mess... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:50:58 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:

    >No! I've never done this with a new Mboard and cpu. I've been playing with
    >some old hdd's, loading XP, and the first thing it wants to do is check for
    >driver updates. Soooo, I wondered if I should attach everything and let it!

    >> Is your question a late April Fool's joke? ... Ben Myers

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I have sp1a on disk, which I'll merge to XP later today. I'm still waiting
    for MS to deliver my patch cd.
    > Check for updates. If you have a version of XP that requires product
    > activition, activating the product effectively makes the current hardware
    > configuration (more or less) the only valid one for the product's
    Certificate of
    > Authentication.
    >
    > The automated Windows check for updates works only for the peripherals
    currently
    > attached to the computer. And it checks for the need to install all the
    needed
    > critical fixes, security patches, and other updates. As Edward Neth
    stated, if
    > you are using dialup, plan to spend a long time getting the updates done.
    For
    > the most part, devices like printers, scanners, USB card readers and the
    like
    > are not part of Microsoft's Windows update process, over 90% of which is
    usually
    > concerned with patching up Microsoft's own software mess... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:50:58 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:
    >
    > >No! I've never done this with a new Mboard and cpu. I've been playing
    with
    > >some old hdd's, loading XP, and the first thing it wants to do is check
    for
    > >driver updates. Soooo, I wondered if I should attach everything and let
    it!

    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Is your question a late April Fool's joke? ... Ben Myers

Gateway Peripherals Windows XP Computers