Disable Call Waiting with *810

When I call *611 and follow the menu to the Call Waiting instructions I'm
told that *810 will disable it and *81 will turn it back on.

The website instruction says no such thing:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/HowToControllerServlet?path=featureDetail&featureId=1841

The phone says: "The feature you have chosen is not available."

Does my plan make a difference? (Single Rate West) or my location? (San
Diego)

Also, I am already using *70, per-call CW blocking, but want to turn off
call waiting for incoming calls also.

--
Slobby Don
Email: (ROT13) fyboolqba@znvy.eh

Oh how much I would love to be able to do this. I absolutely HATE call
waiting.

-Jeff

"Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message
> When I call *611 and follow the menu to the Call Waiting instructions I'm
> told that *810 will disable it and *81 will turn it back on.
>
> The website instruction says no such thing:
>
> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/HowToControllerServlet?path=featureDetail&featureId=1841
>
> The phone says: "The feature you have chosen is not available."
>
> Does my plan make a difference? (Single Rate West) or my location? (San
> Diego)
>
> Also, I am already using *70, per-call CW blocking, but want to turn off
> call waiting for incoming calls also.
>
> --
> Slobby Don
> Email: (ROT13) fyboolqba@znvy.eh

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:22:02 -0400, "Jeff P"
<jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote:

>Oh how much I would love to be able to do this. I absolutely HATE call
>waiting.
>
>-Jeff
>

>"Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message
>> When I call *611 and follow the menu to the Call Waiting instructions I'm
>> told that *810 will disable it and *81 will turn it back on.
>>
>> The website instruction says no such thing:
>>
>> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/HowToControllerServlet?path=featureDetail&featureId=1841
>>
>> The phone says: "The feature you have chosen is not available."
>>
>> Does my plan make a difference? (Single Rate West) or my location? (San
>> Diego)
>>
>> Also, I am already using *70, per-call CW blocking, but want to turn off
>> call waiting for incoming calls also.
>>
>> --
>> Slobby Don
>> Email: (ROT13) fyboolqba@znvy.eh

Then both of you need to call customer service and have CW turned off
on your account. That's what I did. But beware, if you make any
changes to your plan, they'll turn CW back on by default. You'll just
have to remind them about it if/when you make any changes.

>> "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message

>>> Also, I am already using *70, per-call CW blocking, but want to
>>> turn off call waiting for incoming calls also.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Slobby Don
>>> Email: (ROT13) fyboolqba@znvy.eh
>>>

> Then both of you need to call customer service and have CW turned off
> on your account. That's what I did. But beware, if you make any
> changes to your plan, they'll turn CW back on by default. You'll just
> have to remind them about it if/when you make any changes.

A caveat here. When you have CW turned off by a rep, any numbers you have
prefixed with *70 in your address book will bomb. Presumably when *810/*81
goes into effect, that prefix will just be ignored when CW is off. It must
be coming as it is already on the phone menu and is standard with some other
wireless services. Does it work now for anyone out there?

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:59:23 GMT, "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote:

>> Then both of you need to call customer service and have CW turned off
>> on your account. That's what I did. But beware, if you make any
>> changes to your plan, they'll turn CW back on by default. You'll just
>> have to remind them about it if/when you make any changes.
>
>A caveat here. When you have CW turned off by a rep, any numbers you have
>prefixed with *70 in your address book will bomb. Presumably when *810/*81
>goes into effect, that prefix will just be ignored when CW is off. It must
>be coming as it is already on the phone menu and is standard with some other
>wireless services. Does it work now for anyone out there?

So? If you want it off for your incoming calls and you already put
*70 in your phone book for the numbers you call, wouldn't turning it
completely off do away with the problem for good? Or do you want CW
on for specific calls only?

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:59:23 GMT, "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote:
>

>> A caveat here. When you have CW turned off by a rep, any numbers
>> you have prefixed with *70 in your address book will bomb.
>> Presumably when *810/*81 goes into effect, that prefix will just be
>> ignored when CW is off. It must be coming as it is already on the
>> phone menu and is standard with some other wireless services. Does
>> it work now for anyone out there?
>>

> So? If you want it off for your incoming calls and you already put
> *70 in your phone book for the numbers you call, wouldn't turning it
> completely off do away with the problem for good? Or do you want CW
> on for specific calls only?

There may be times you want it on, when overall you want it off, like when
you want to avoid phone tag with an expected important caller. For a long
time there was no user control over that other than per outgoing call. For
that reason I always shunned free call-waiting when offered on my landlines,
because to me the real issue is the second call, not the first! When user
control comes to Verizon, I want my call waiting back. I just hope *70
works when *810/*81 goes into effect. Commands that do nothing should be
ignored, not result in errors! I had to remove *70 from a conference call
number I never want interrupted after I had CW dropped by a rep.

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:20:41 GMT, "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote:

>There may be times you want it on, when overall you want it off, like when
>you want to avoid phone tag with an expected important caller.

If I'm expecting an important call, I just tell whoever calls that I'm
waiting for another call. Or usually, I'll look at CID and if it's
not the call I'm waiting for, I just don't answer it.

>For a long
>time there was no user control over that other than per outgoing call.

I assume you mean no interactive control, other than turning it off on
your account. That's been possible for as long as I can recall.

>For
>that reason I always shunned free call-waiting when offered on my landlines,
>because to me the real issue is the second call, not the first!

I guess that depends what importance that second call has. To me, if
I'm on the phone with someone, caller #2 goes to voice mail. No
exceptions. I take my calls one at a time, and won't put someone on
hold just so I can speak with someone else.

>When user
>control comes to Verizon, I want my call waiting back. I just hope *70
>works when *810/*81 goes into effect. Commands that do nothing should be
>ignored, not result in errors!

I can't argue with that. I also don't see why they won't allow
certain numbers (like *228) to be put in the phone books, either, but
that's another thread.:)

>I had to remove *70 from a conference call
>number I never want interrupted after I had CW dropped by a rep.

So, put the number in again without the *70, or will your phone not
let you because it knows it's the same number?

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
>> control comes to Verizon, I want my call waiting back. I just hope
>> *70 works when *810/*81 goes into effect. Commands that do nothing
>> should be ignored, not result in errors!
>
> I can't argue with that. I also don't see why they won't allow
> certain numbers (like *228) to be put in the phone books, either, but
> that's another thread.:)

Yes, but #646 does work in the addy book. The only ones I ever tried
unsuccessfuly were:

*#837# PRL
*3001#12345# programming

It's probably better that these don't work because of the security code and
since they are Nokia specific, they don't require a SEND.

>> I had to remove *70 from a conference call
>> number I never want interrupted after I had CW dropped by a rep.
>>

> So, put the number in again without the *70, or will your phone not
> let you because it knows it's the same number?

No, I just erased it. The phone knows it's different. If I had multiple
entries as some probably do, it could be a real problem!

Slobby Don wrote:
> Yes, but #646 does work in the addy book. The only ones I ever tried
> unsuccessfuly were:
>
> *#837# PRL
> *3001#12345# programming
>
> It's probably better that these don't work because of the security code and
> since they are Nokia specific, they don't require a SEND.

Those funny *# codes are not phone numbers. They are keypress sequences
to get to hidden menus, and are handled entirely by the phone's
software. #646 is a phone number, sent over the air as a call by hitting
the "SEND" button. It's a funny-looking number recognized internally by
the VZW network, but that doesn't effect how the phone treats it.
Whatever is in the phone's address book will be sent as a phone number
in a call.