kambro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
but I still am not getting it. Maybe its just my MB. I am running a XP2700+ and a Gigabyte 7S748 MB w/ 2x512DDR. When I installed the board and cpu, it clocks at a mere 1500+. When I go into the Bios, my only options to change under Frequency and Voltage are CPU MHz and DRAM MHz...The cpu one says enter a interger between 100 and 355, and the DRAM onejust gives various options and is usual double whatever I set the CPU to. I was able to change the CPU MHz to 266 and the box booted as a 2100+ @ 1.8 MHz, but that is still far from the 2.2GHz promised. Where am I going wrong. Can any one spell this out clearly for me? Did I buy a cut rate MB? I have no option for FSB or intergers...I am confused? Can any one shed light on this for me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your processor should be running 166MHz bus, aka DDR333. For best performance these processors should be using DDR333 (or faster) RAM as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kambro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
thats what I thought, so when I set the cpu to 166 and the DDR to 333, which it is, the sucker boots and says it a 1080 MHZ. I look on the MB utility and it says I am currently running at 1080 with the capability of 3500...so I know Im missing something, somewhere....I dont see any other parameters that would effect this. The only other options are voltage related.. add 5, 7.5, 10..etc..to which?

B_Man

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
Did you remember to change the CPU switch from on to off?? If your not sure,check it to be sure. It is just under the AGP port by the video card lock down lever.I do believe it be a dip switch,default is set at 100MHz.Hope that helps? If my directions are unclear, refer to page ten in your motherboard book.Also set the CPU setting from the 166 to 333.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, BIOS must be giving you the data rate instead of the clock frequency, in which case 333MHz would be the setting. But some boards couldn't run that speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kambro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
next time I see you, Im gonna buy you a tall cool one! it was the dipswitch, and obviously I didnt read the MB guide well enough. Thanks for taking the time.