Sign in with
Your question

P4 Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2004 8:48:48 AM

Hey all

I was wondering if people could help me out, i'm gonna buy a new system but i'm debating between a 2.8 and a 3.0 from what i hear you can get a 2.8 faster than a 3.0 can overclocking

if people could tell me (if they know) any of these chips top stable speeds that can be attained

3.0 HS, 3.0 Watercooled, 2.8HS, 2.8 Watercooled, 2.6HS, 2.6 Watercooled

that'd help heaps in me finishing off the specs for what i'm gonna buy, should be ordering it soon ^_^

i'm going to be trying to get a good batch# but in Australia i'm not going to have a huge choice so i can only hope there are some of the good ones lying around here

Thanx

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Noel Adams 1952-2002

More about : overclocking

January 22, 2004 12:11:36 PM

The reason people say that the 2.8 is faster when OCed than the 3.0 is not because you can get it to higher clock speeds, but rather that at the same clock speed the 2.8 will have a faster bus than the 3.0, for example: to get a 2.8 (14x multiplier) to 3.4GHZ you'd need a 243MHZ FSB, the 3.0 would only need a 226MHZ FSB. The P4 is always thirsty for more bus bandwidth, the problem is that you also need fast RAM that would also be at the same speed (DDRRAM is double the speed of the bus).
I have a P4 2.4GHZ and just ordered OCZ PC4200 Performance RAM which runs at 533MHZ so I'd be able to increase the FSB to 267 and with a multiplier of 12 I'd get 3204MHZ, and that's without overclocking the RAM (which I intend on doing).

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...
January 22, 2004 2:21:07 PM

well after going through 15 or so pages worth of topics in this forum alone i've decided i'm probably gonna go with either a 2.8 with water cooling or a 2.6 with air cooling, i'm leaning towards a 2.8 with water cooling and PC4000 corsair or OCZ (if i can get it in australia damn hard to find) memory. Not sure wether to build my own water cooling system and save a heap of money or buy a complete one for 400AUS. I've never done water cooling before (or any overclocking for that matter) but i've been doing days worth of research (over 12 hours worth just today) and there seems to be some reasonably straight foward very detailed step by step instructions out there how to do everything so i don't see why i can't do something complicated just by copying someone else ^_^, we'll see how long till my brand new CPU fry's ^_^

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Related resources
January 22, 2004 5:59:25 PM

Intel next price drop due in two weeks.
January 22, 2004 7:17:33 PM

hardware boss... how did you find out about the drop in prices?
January 23, 2004 12:08:21 AM

they announced it publicly as of Feb 1 the 2.8 and 2.6 will be reduced in price i think it was between 15-25% i've forgotten exactly what though something signifigant anyhow

January 23, 2004 12:12:26 AM

yeah i know i will be waiting i'll buy as soon as the prices go down over here (it might take a little bit for it to translate to Australia)

but i'm still interested in responces to the main post, what are the top clock speeds of those CPU's that people have managed to attain

January 23, 2004 2:51:53 AM

2.8C should give you 3.4 OC with stock HSF.
!