FTP through passive firewall

Hello i have a pc at my faculty in a LAN with a firewall and maybe NAT
too. I would like to establish a FTP connection with my HD (i use
windows xp) from my house but i have no way to access my faculty's IP.
Is there a FTP client that can be run in listen mode and a ftp server
that can connect itself to the client? Or do you know any other
protocol/software that can help?

thank you very much
2 answers Last reply
More about passive firewall

    ennioennioennio@tiscali.it (.) wrote in

    > Hello i have a pc at my faculty in a LAN with a firewall and maybe NAT
    > too. I would like to establish a FTP connection with my HD (i use
    > windows xp) from my house but i have no way to access my faculty's IP.
    > Is there a FTP client that can be run in listen mode and a ftp server
    > that can connect itself to the client? Or do you know any other
    > protocol/software that can help?
    >
    > thank you very much

    You did not describe the facility. I assume that they have some sort of IT
    group. You *must* work with them. Never try to get through a firewall
    without the knowledge, permission, and co-operation of the 'company' IT
    group.

    Your facility may have some rules in place that prohibit or restrict the
    very thing you are trying to do. If you try this without the IT group, you
    may be subject to immediate termination. You would be at my company.

    "." <ennioennioennio@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    > Hello i have a pc at my faculty in a LAN with a firewall and maybe NAT
    > too. I would like to establish a FTP connection with my HD (i use
    > windows xp) from my house but i have no way to access my faculty's IP.
    > Is there a FTP client that can be run in listen mode and a ftp server
    > that can connect itself to the client? Or do you know any other
    > protocol/software that can help?
    >
    > thank you very much

    There may be such a FTP server, but I can think of at least a couple of
    reasons why it wouldn't be advisable. You really should have discussions
    with the individuals responsible for your LAN security. They may already
    have had plans to implement some sort of VPN functionality. Personally, if
    they have a little bit of money to spend on new gear, I would recommend
    looking into one of the new "SSL VPN Gateway" / "Clientless VPN Gateway"
    devices. These things are nice because they don't involve all of the
    headaches involved in true IPSec VPN implementations. Some of the vendors
    include: Juniper Networks (aka NetScreen, aka Neoteris) Secure Access (SA)
    Appliance, F5 FirePass, Symantec Clientless VPN Gateway, Nokia Secure Access
    System, AEP Systems SureWare A-Gate, Nortel Networks VPN Gateway, Safenet,
    Aventail, NetScaler, NetSilica, etc.

Firewalls FTP Connection Networking