FTP through passive firewall

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hello i have a pc at my faculty in a LAN with a firewall and maybe NAT
too. I would like to establish a FTP connection with my HD (i use
windows xp) from my house but i have no way to access my faculty's IP.
Is there a FTP client that can be run in listen mode and a ftp server
that can connect itself to the client? Or do you know any other
protocol/software that can help?

thank you very much

ennioennioennio@tiscali.it (.) wrote in

> Hello i have a pc at my faculty in a LAN with a firewall and maybe NAT
> too. I would like to establish a FTP connection with my HD (i use
> windows xp) from my house but i have no way to access my faculty's IP.
> Is there a FTP client that can be run in listen mode and a ftp server
> that can connect itself to the client? Or do you know any other
> protocol/software that can help?
>
> thank you very much

You did not describe the facility. I assume that they have some sort of IT
group. You *must* work with them. Never try to get through a firewall
without the knowledge, permission, and co-operation of the 'company' IT
group.

Your facility may have some rules in place that prohibit or restrict the
very thing you are trying to do. If you try this without the IT group, you
may be subject to immediate termination. You would be at my company.

Alec

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

"." <ennioennioennio@tiscali.it> wrote in message
> Hello i have a pc at my faculty in a LAN with a firewall and maybe NAT
> too. I would like to establish a FTP connection with my HD (i use
> windows xp) from my house but i have no way to access my faculty's IP.
> Is there a FTP client that can be run in listen mode and a ftp server
> that can connect itself to the client? Or do you know any other
> protocol/software that can help?
>
> thank you very much

There may be such a FTP server, but I can think of at least a couple of
reasons why it wouldn't be advisable. You really should have discussions
with the individuals responsible for your LAN security. They may already
have had plans to implement some sort of VPN functionality. Personally, if
they have a little bit of money to spend on new gear, I would recommend
looking into one of the new "SSL VPN Gateway" / "Clientless VPN Gateway"
devices. These things are nice because they don't involve all of the
headaches involved in true IPSec VPN implementations. Some of the vendors
include: Juniper Networks (aka NetScreen, aka Neoteris) Secure Access (SA)
Appliance, F5 FirePass, Symantec Clientless VPN Gateway, Nokia Secure Access
System, AEP Systems SureWare A-Gate, Nortel Networks VPN Gateway, Safenet,
Aventail, NetScaler, NetSilica, etc.