Overclocking and Multipler: AthlonXP 2500+

Serpent

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
I've never overclocked anything until a few days ago, when I picked up an Abit AN7 mobo and athlonxp 2500+.

I'm very impressed with this mobo and the easy of overclocking it allows me.

I've been raising my FSB over the last few days and doing stability tests with some success. I haven't touched the multiplier yet (assuming it's unlocked).

I was curious as to why I would even bother touching the multiplier? Is it just a way to get more mhz without causing the rest of the system (such as RAM) to go unstable?

Should I even bother trying to change the multiplier?

Most of my confusion is my being a newb to overclocking and the fact that the stickied guide doesn't mention multipliers...

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
If you recently got the cpu then it is most likely locked. There is a utility you can download to oc this chip on the fly. If you scan the last 3 or 4 pages of this forum you should find a link to download it. If not then go to nforcershq.com>forums>Abit

A7n8x dlx 1004 Uber Agressive settings
2500Barton (Bastards locked it) Radeon 9200
WD 60g @7200w 8mg Cache Crucial 2700 2x 256
AMD ME??? Yeah they did me alright.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
My locked 2500+ is diong 3200+ with no problems. Same multiplier.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

Serpent

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
I have ddr400 ram, so I don't see a point in changing the multiplier (if it's unlocked). I was just wondering if i was missing something....

seems like i'm not?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd shoot straight for 200MHz bus clock (400MHz data rate) and get 3200+ speed without messing with the multiplier.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Serpent

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
The system isn't stable at 200mhz fsb. i'm going to have to raise the voltage core to get that high (if I want to, if i can).

I got Kingston ram.

Note: I wasn't really looking for advice, I was wondering why i would even want to change the multiplier (if I could, cause it's probably locked since I just got it... though again, that's not the question I asked in this thread...)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sure you can. Try 1.65v, if that's stable try taking it down notch by notch until you find the lowest stable vCore for 200MHz bus clock. The lower, the less heat.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>