Notebook upgrading

nbo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi! I have a Dell Inspirion 3800.. I am new to the laptop thing.. would like to upgrade some of the part.. does anyone have any website articles talk about how to upgrade laptop.. I am concern whether I can upgrade a better video card .. thx all

G

Im pretty sure that the video card is part of mother board. sometimes the video ram is shared w/the ram. you might be able to dedicate more video memory by accessing the bios during bootup pressing f10 or f2 or something like that. you should be able to upgrade the ram & maybe the processor & the harddrive. it all depends on what type of cpu you have installed. if it's a FC-PGA socket you are inluck. This package is upgradable to a PIII 1ghz with 256k ondie cache. usually about $250. ram is cheap. I recommend the 48 gig harddrive w/ 5400 rpm from IBM. go to ibm site and its listed as the travelstar harddrive. the dell is a good unit. but the dell inspiron 8100 is the best out there for the money. it has 32 megs of video ram! I recommend to upgrade the ram before any thing then the hard drive then the cpu but then you might as well buy the dell 8100. good luck!