Help! Will this work?

MatthewC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
I have an older network card installed that has a 10 based T jack, and a regular ethernet jack.

I installed another PCI ethernet card, hoping that by having a cord going in through my 10-based T it will also be able to come out the new ethernet card I installed and into my Gamecube.

Not so much Gamecube wise, but network wise will this work?

I am running Windows 98. I tried using it with my laptop and PCMI card, the laptop showed activity but couldnt connect.

What do I do to get it working. Is it the PC or the laptop's fault?

Thanks...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
the idea of the cards that had BOTH types of connector on was so that you could use either, without further details of your setup its not possible to determine which pc is causing the problem

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I have an older network card installed that has a 10 based T jack, and a regular ethernet jack
10-Base-T is RJ45 (the clip type that is used currently). Are you referring to 10-Base-2? That was the BNC coax connector. What do you define as "regular ethernet"? You're sort of lumping layer 1 and layer 2 protocols together...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

MatthewC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
Sorry, 10 based 2, the round connecter. Our whole house is networked using the 10 based 2 cable. The old card I have installed uses 10 based 2, or an RJ45 jack. I have internet coming in on the 10-based 2. I heard that I cannot have internet coming in on the 10-based 2 and on the same card, have it going out the RJ45 port.

So I installed another ethernet card and am bringing an RJ45 connection off that to my Gamecube.

Now, technically, it should work without a hitch right?
Like, is there anything that really should stop me from doing that hardware wise? My problem is in the laptop software right?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, you are right, you cant have the one card doing the job of 2 cards.

As for the initial problem, it stillr emains to be seen where the problem is, have you configured the card (ip/subnet etc)? on BOTH pc's? are they on the same workgroup?
(no clue about gamecubes btw)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?