Vista to Win7

bower95

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I have one HDD, partitioned into three partitions. One contains XP 32, the other contains Vista Ultimate 32, and one final partition I made for Windows 7.
I already installed Windows 7 onto the third partition, but want to import all my installation data and registry, changes, etc, that I made in Vista, into Windows 7.

Doable?

Solution
The way I see it, you have two options. You can use Easy Transfer Wizard to copy the documents and and settings associated with your user account, from Vista to 7. However, this will NOT migrate any of your applications, you'll have to install those manually.

Option 2 is to do an in-place upgrade from Vista to 7, provided that you have Windows 7 Ultimate 32. That way you will maintain all your apps and settings. It probably won't be as snappy as a clean install, though.
The way I see it, you have two options. You can use Easy Transfer Wizard to copy the documents and and settings associated with your user account, from Vista to 7. However, this will NOT migrate any of your applications, you'll have to install those manually.

Option 2 is to do an in-place upgrade from Vista to 7, provided that you have Windows 7 Ultimate 32. That way you will maintain all your apps and settings. It probably won't be as snappy as a clean install, though.

Solution

bower95

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
You see, I've installed Windows 7 and it messed up my Vista install.
Vista boots up insanely slow, a few programs stopped working properly, and I cannot restore to a previous time (an unspecified error has prevented system restore from completing, or whatever).

So I figured I'd just import all my installations into Windows 7, unless I can figure out how to fix Vista.