O/C problems - please help!

wigwam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
My system spec pertinent details: 2100+ t/b B; A7N8X-del rev2; twinmos pc3200 RAM running 6-2-2-2; 9500pro; maxtor DM9+ 120gb
the machine has been running fine for 9 months on fsb 166 X 12 multi; i played a little and upped it to 180 x 11.5 = 2070 and it ran fine for a day [then i decided to return to 2400+ speeds cos i was doing research and didnt wanna risk it going kaput.
all this on stock vcore.

Today i changed it to 200 x 10 [again stock vcore] and it booted fine; feeling adventurous i upped it to 10.5x200 [but reduced the ram timings to 8-3-3-2.5] and it just wouldnt post - cdrw/dvd flash and on the 1st occasion after a cold start it displays the cpu speed at 2100 MHz but then complete freeze; i occasionally get screen corruption with flashing horizontal lines; if i press soft reboot then i get no video signal and it still freezes before the "ticking" sound of the ram being checked.

I dont understand what would be the likely cause for this problem - could it really be that sensitive to not working at posting 2100 when it ran fine at 2070?
also, as a genral principal is it at all possible to determine why an O/C failes to post just based on what it does [eg in this case stopping just before ram check]? i dont see that is can be ram problem cos the fsb was not changed between 2000 and 2100 and it was okay at 10xmulti with tighter timings.
could it be the video [but why should that be cos lots of folks here said it was agp/pci locked on this board: it is set to "auto" in the bios]
finally, could it simply be that the diff between 2070 and 2100 was enough for it to need more vcore?

i would appreciate help and insight in this matter

ps tip: when clearing the cmos and restarting it is always a good idea to reinsert the cmos battery; i didnt at first and wondered why i was getting all these weird glitche

<b>my cpu runs so hot I dont need central heating in my house!</b>

wigwam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
i shall try the ca2 thing but i am fairly sure it isnt that.
i stuck it at 10x200 last night and it booted fine but locked-up during the Sandra cpu burn test after 8th of 10 passes
i am using a spire falconrock II which is why i am reluctant to up the vcore due to heat probs [when i run 13x166 it runs fine but after 30mins prime95 the temp is 56C on MBM whereas it is 48C with 12.5x166]

Ram is Twinmos w/winbond BH5; i put alot of effort into tracking it down as i know this was the twinmos ram to get

i guess first i should try 9.5x200 to make sure it runs 200fsb okay [it better bloody do!], then 10x200 in the way you say...

for my education - why up the vdimm?

<b>my cpu runs so hot I dont need central heating in my house!</b>