Verizon disables National Access phone access?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 3, 2005 7:51:52 PM

I have owned a VX4400 phone for a year+ now
I have also been a verizon customer for 6+ years.
The only reason I bought the vx4400 was b/c of r1xtt, however, when I
bought it it turned out that my laptop was too fried to support it, so
I gave up. Anyway, got a new laptop, got vx4400 to work with the
laptop and to dial up.
QNC works, 1xrtt doesn't
(qnc/qnc login works, mynum@vzw3g.com/vzw doesn't).

Called Verizon.. spent over an hour on hold.
Spoke to some tech that said 'national access has been disabled on
phones'.. He offerred to enable some Data Plan, but since it was
already past 11pm ET, I had to call back to do it the next day.

Call back the next day, they say data plans are no longer supported
through phones.

Why the heck not? I'd like to use my cell phone as a modem when I need
to, and I'd like to use the modern speeds. I don't really want the
card for a few reasons: my laptop has only one pcmcia slot, which I
might use for something else, I don't really need high-speed access
all the time. I really need the data plan for emergencies, however
qnc/qnc is way too slow, even for plain text connections.. I once
spent a good few hours on a qnc connection, and I was typing way
faster than letters would appear on my ssh screen (really bad latency)

So my question is:
Why did Verizon disable National Access for phone/modem use?
And did they really?
Is there are any workarounds?

This, together with rumors that Verizon is disabling roaming, is
pissing me off big time.

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
remove NSPAM to email
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:09:58 PM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:51:52 GMT, NetComrade wrote:

> I have owned a VX4400 phone for a year+ now
> I have also been a verizon customer for 6+ years.
> The only reason I bought the vx4400 was b/c of r1xtt, however, when I
> bought it it turned out that my laptop was too fried to support it, so
> I gave up. Anyway, got a new laptop, got vx4400 to work with the
> laptop and to dial up.
> QNC works, 1xrtt doesn't
> (qnc/qnc login works, mynum@vzw3g.com/vzw doesn't).
>
> Called Verizon.. spent over an hour on hold.
> Spoke to some tech that said 'national access has been disabled on
> phones'.. He offerred to enable some Data Plan, but since it was
> already past 11pm ET, I had to call back to do it the next day.
>
> Call back the next day, they say data plans are no longer supported
> through phones.
>
> Why the heck not? I'd like to use my cell phone as a modem when I need
> to, and I'd like to use the modern speeds. I don't really want the
> card for a few reasons: my laptop has only one pcmcia slot, which I
> might use for something else, I don't really need high-speed access
> all the time. I really need the data plan for emergencies, however
> qnc/qnc is way too slow, even for plain text connections.. I once
> spent a good few hours on a qnc connection, and I was typing way
> faster than letters would appear on my ssh screen (really bad latency)
>
> So my question is:
> Why did Verizon disable National Access for phone/modem use?
> And did they really?
> Is there are any workarounds?
>
> This, together with rumors that Verizon is disabling roaming, is
> pissing me off big time.

NA works fine here. I just dialed it up with my Vox 9900.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:49:10 PM

On 2005-06-03, NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM@bookexchange.net> wrote:
> I have owned a VX4400 phone for a year+ now
> I have also been a verizon customer for 6+ years.
> The only reason I bought the vx4400 was b/c of r1xtt, however, when I
> bought it it turned out that my laptop was too fried to support it, so
> I gave up. Anyway, got a new laptop, got vx4400 to work with the
> laptop and to dial up.
> QNC works, 1xrtt doesn't
> (qnc/qnc login works, mynum@vzw3g.com/vzw doesn't).
>
> Called Verizon.. spent over an hour on hold.
> Spoke to some tech that said 'national access has been disabled on
> phones'.. He offerred to enable some Data Plan, but since it was
> already past 11pm ET, I had to call back to do it the next day.
>
> Call back the next day, they say data plans are no longer supported
> through phones.
>
> Why the heck not? I'd like to use my cell phone as a modem when I need
> to, and I'd like to use the modern speeds. I don't really want the
> card for a few reasons: my laptop has only one pcmcia slot, which I
> might use for something else, I don't really need high-speed access
> all the time. I really need the data plan for emergencies, however
> qnc/qnc is way too slow, even for plain text connections.. I once
> spent a good few hours on a qnc connection, and I was typing way
> faster than letters would appear on my ssh screen (really bad latency)
>
> So my question is:
> Why did Verizon disable National Access for phone/modem use?
> And did they really?
> Is there are any workarounds?
>
> This, together with rumors that Verizon is disabling roaming, is
> pissing me off big time.

You got lied to. My EN (National Access) works fine. I also confirmed with QNC.

All is good.

--
Sick of USENET postwhores? Trolls? Flamers?
Read the Killfile FAQ for Newsgroups to learn

NA works fine for the whole family. 5 phones, not one with a data plan,
some using MOK kits, although not on a regular basis. You need to talk to
them again, the records for finding someone who can help you is 7; although
that is my experience.
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

"CellGuy" <cellguy@seemessagebody.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:51:52 GMT, NetComrade wrote:

<snip>
>> So my question is:
>> Why did Verizon disable National Access for phone/modem use?
>> And did they really?
>> Is there are any workarounds?
>>
>> This, together with rumors that Verizon is disabling roaming, is
>> pissing me off big time.
>>

> NA works fine here. I just dialed it up with my Vox 9900.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:36:49 PM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:51:52 GMT, netcomradeNSPAM@bookexchange.net (NetComrade)
wrote:

>I have owned a VX4400 phone for a year+ now
>I have also been a verizon customer for 6+ years.
>The only reason I bought the vx4400 was b/c of r1xtt, however, when I
>bought it it turned out that my laptop was too fried to support it, so
>I gave up. Anyway, got a new laptop, got vx4400 to work with the
>laptop and to dial up.
>QNC works, 1xrtt doesn't
>(qnc/qnc login works, mynum@vzw3g.com/vzw doesn't).
>
>Called Verizon.. spent over an hour on hold.
>Spoke to some tech that said 'national access has been disabled on
>phones'.. He offerred to enable some Data Plan, but since it was
>already past 11pm ET, I had to call back to do it the next day.
>
>Call back the next day, they say data plans are no longer supported
>through phones.

They lied. But you asked for the wrong feature. It's called "Mobile Office."
I've been using my Startac for years as a 14.4 modem (with the accessory data
cable), and currently use my Kyocera KX2 with the accessory USB data cable also
as a CDMA modem (though between 14.4 and 56k depending upon what's available).

This particular feature, though, is poorly supported (most Verizon customer
service reps don't know what it is), and it's not available everywhere. I was
traveling in North Carolina on business recently and needed connectivity back to
my office. The hotels with "free" wireless were blocking my VPN connections so I
tried my cellphone, but Alltel was blocking me (using qnc/qnc). Apparently I was
within Alltel's territory and they won't allow Verizon customers to access that
service. Eventually had to break out the telephone cable and plug in my laptop's
landline modem, and the best speed I could get was about 24 kb.

Keep in mind, too, that even if you're in an area where Mobile Office won't
work, you can use your cellphone and data cable as a conventional CDMA modem and
dial into your ISP instead (Verizon doesn't charge extra for that, you're only
using regular plan's airtime and long distance).
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:56:55 PM

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 03:44:48 GMT, dr.news@better.price.biz.nospam wrote:

> NA works fine for the whole family. 5 phones, not one with a data plan,
> some using MOK kits, although not on a regular basis. You need to talk to
> them again, the records for finding someone who can help you is 7; although
> that is my experience.

You replied to me instead of the OP.
NA works fine for me.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 7:22:43 PM

I had the same trouble with a phone of a friend. I called Verizon CS and
asked them to check if 1x was enabled. Tell them you are having trouble
with Get It Now and they'll fix it fast. One other thing, be sure you have
the right init. string for the modem. For 1x the init should be:
AT$QCMDR=3;AT$QCQNC=0

PoD

!