Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Win 7 freezes during restart

Last response: in Windows 7
November 4, 2010 2:44:38 AM

Hi. im running a win 7 pro 64 bit. When i press restart, it proceeds to shut down and then freezes. I then have to manually restart it. What is causing this? thanks

More about : win freezes restart

a c 244 $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 2:36:01 PM

Usually a defective device or improperly installed driver for a device. Take a look at your Device Manager (in Control Panel) to see if one of your devices is acting up. You will be able to tell (yellow icon) which, if any, is having a problem.

Once you find the problem. Try to reinstall the drivers for that device.

Good luck!
Score
November 6, 2010 8:23:26 PM

COLGeek said:
Usually a defective device or improperly installed driver for a device. Take a look at your Device Manager (in Control Panel) to see if one of your devices is acting up. You will be able to tell (yellow icon) which, if any, is having a problem.

Once you find the problem. Try to reinstall the drivers for that device.

Good luck!

i looked at the device manager and no yellow icon. What other reasons might there be that it crashes upon reset?
Score
Related resources
a c 244 $ Windows 7
November 7, 2010 12:35:31 PM

Reinstall (after downloading) the most current video drivers for your GPU (either from nvidia.com or ati.com). This is the likely culprit.
Score
November 7, 2010 5:02:50 PM

COLGeek said:
Reinstall (after downloading) the most current video drivers for your GPU (either from nvidia.com or ati.com). This is the likely culprit.

what do you mean by reinstall? you mean just make sure i have the latest driver?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2010 7:04:03 PM

computernewb said:
bump. :lol: 

Quote:
Don't...

* Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
* Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
* Bump posts, claim "first!"
* Hijack a topic. Stick to the original conversation.
* Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection

Source.
Score
!