Sign in with
Your question

Flight Simulator X: Graphics card dilema

Last response: in Video Games
January 18, 2013 4:21:50 AM

Hi, I am looking to build a pc to play flight simulator X since my laptop is really bad at it. I've got most of the specs down except for the graphics card. I've been able to pick out all of the right components except for the gpu which is driving me crazy. I don't really play games on a pc (I'm a console guy) and this rig will be for FSX only. I really like the amd cards because they offer so much value for the money. I've been really liking the Radeon 7950 and a $300 gpu budget seems to be a good price range. However, I've read that FSX favors Nvidia's gpu's and plays better with them. How true is this now (2013)? The GTX 660ti pretty much costs the same as the 7950 but I really like the value of the the 7950. If this was a regular gaming pc, this wouldn't be a question. But for FSX, does the gtx 660ti perform better than the radeon 7950? If so, by how much? I won't be doing any multi monitor stuff, just a single monitor (1920x1080). I really want to run FSX on max settings but don't really know which is the better graphics card to get.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:44:09 AM

Hi :) 

You realise you CANNOT add a PC graphics card to a laptop ?

All the best Brett :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 11:56:59 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You realise you CANNOT add a PC graphics card to a laptop ?

All the best Brett :) 

The OP says in the very first sentence he's looking to build a PC.

To the OP, while not really my area of expertise I can tell you that I run FSX with Aerosoft addons @ 1680 x 1050 everything on high on far less capable hardware than what you have mentioned. Like you I play the vast majority of games on consoles.
Related resources
January 20, 2013 7:02:25 AM

FSX is quite heavily dependent on the cpu instead of the gpu. I'll go with the Nvidia card though to ensure it runs smoothly. The difference between the two cards is quite small anyway. Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2013 12:22:16 PM

As said the CPU is what you need to worry about. A 7850 card would give you just as good results for FSX ifyou are looking for saving money.
January 22, 2013 6:13:30 AM

Yes, I'm really interested in saving money as I'm over the budget right now. The only reason I'm going with Nvidia is because FSX is said to run better on them.
!