CPU way too hot

kambro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
I have been seeing really hot (70C) temps on my AMD 2700, and have shut her down until I can figure out why. After reading some threads here, I am going to try to re-seat my heatsink etc. My question is, I know I can clean the paste off with alchohol, but what about the little thermal phase change patch that came on the heatsink...will cleaning this with alcohol damage it? can I just spread the goodness (paste) right over it after Im done cleaning and drying? Do I need to worry about anything because I am reseating this baby??
Any knowledge out there for a rookie?

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
From my understanding people use either the paste or the phase change patch, not both. The is some debate over paste is really better than a patch, but most agree that some Artic Silver 5 or Artic Silver Creamique are better than any patch.

Some one else might know if the alcohol will damage it, I don't. Also, if you do decide to remove the patch, I am told that you take a razor blade and very carefully scrape it off. You don't want to scratch the base of the heatsink. Never done it myself - the last heatsink I played with didn't have a thermal patch on it.

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>

kambro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
oh man. I am almost at my wits end... I removed everything and the motherboard, and cleaned, re-applied paste and re-seated the heatsink on the cpu and still 70C temp after about 5 minutes...what the heck could this be? could the actual cpu be misaligned? i should have checked it before I put it all back together, but I didnt. Is there any other explanation.

kambro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
OK I flashed the BIOS with the latest Gigabyte rev and the temp dropped to about 64C idle, but I still feel this is too high. I was convinced that had to be it, because the latest rev specifically fixes inconsistancies in BIOS temp readings...no such luck

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Sounds likle maybe the HSF is seated improperly, like it's a bit tilted, but still making contact with the core. Is it a new HSF? Please state the brand & everything.

I used to have those kinds of temps too with my 1700+ paly after I bought a new Coolermaster HSF. After a couple hours of pulling my hair out, I took a small mirror & checked whether the HSF was seated properly (I know I know, I should've installed it with the mobo outta the case lol). Turns out, the sink was over the socket "step" a bit.

So I took the HSF apart. I then repositioned the clip thingy one fin back, and voila it fits.

Also, how's your in-case airflow?

-----
Do not spit.

kambro

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
its the stock fan that came with the XP2700+ retail.
i dunno the model# but I can check.
tell you what its pissin me off sumphin fierce.
the mirror idea is a good one though...Ill go ask my dentist tomorrow :0
not sure what else to do. I thinkwhen I have a couple free hrs Im going to pull it apart again and go thru the motions one more time.....ad naseum.
Im using Hmonitor and the MB and HD temps are normal, and the voltage settings seem high some of the time, but Im not real clear how acurate those numbers are.
I think the temp in the case is OK

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
HMonitor? Hrmm, ok can you also try using MBM (motherboard monitor) as well?

Temp case might be fine, but the airflow is what's important. Also try running with the case covers open, and if possible with a room fan pointed towards the guts, see if that helps. If it does, you know what you must do.

Good luck.

-----
Do not spit.

potsy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
I have a gigabyte mobo and also thought it was running a little hot. on the gigabyte board at www.nforcershq.com i saw that the CPU temp readings on my board are reported 10 deg C higher as a saftey measure. so, when it shows my CPU as 54 deg C, it really is 44 deg C. i'm not sure if they do it with every model mobo, but its the case with mine.

AMD AthlonXP 2500 @ 3200 (11x200Mhz)
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
2x256MB Geil Platinum PC3200 DDR (2-3-3-11)
Radeon 9200 128MB VIVO
WD 36GB 10,000RPM 8MB SATA
Maxtor 40GB 7,200RPM 8MB ATA133

potsy

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
"Temperatures
Found on: 7NNXP, 7N400 Pro, 7N400L1, 7N400 Pro2 and 7N400L n/a on K8NNXP
You'll notice that in the more recent BIOS revisions (after August 2003) your CPU temperature will be HIGH. This is actually 10c ABOVE what your CPU temp actually is (as read from the CPU's internal temperature diode). Gigabyte has reported that they overcompensate for the temperature for safety reasons, so there is less of a chance of possibly burning out the CPU in an accident."

from http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29691

AMD AthlonXP 2500 @ 3200 (11x200Mhz)
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
2x256MB Geil Platinum PC3200 DDR (2-3-3-11)
Radeon 9200 128MB VIVO
WD 36GB 10,000RPM 8MB SATA
Maxtor 40GB 7,200RPM 8MB ATA133