Power supply question

Last week I installed a new Radeon 7000 AGP video card in my old Gateway
P3-450. I reported that I couldn't get it to work very well in 16 bit color
mode.

Today, I downloaded and installed Rage3d tweak tool. With this tool, I am
able to lower the clock speeds on the video card. When I lower the clock
speeds, all my video problems are solved...no more pixilation, in any color
mode. And text is very clear in 16 bit mode now.

Does this mean that my power supply may be too weak? It's only 200w I
believe.

Thanks

Power supply is one possibility. Another might be that the ATI tweak tool
allows you to increase the scan frequency and/or change the resolution to
something more pleasant... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
> Power supply is one possibility. Another might be that the ATI tweak
> tool allows you to increase the scan frequency and/or change the
> resolution to something more pleasant... Ben Myers

The only settings I changed with the tweak tool were the clock settings for
the video card. I had to lower the memory clock setting about 12Mhz to get
the card to work well. I left the core clock speed setting alone.

I'm really curious why I had to do this to get the card to work in Win2k and
XP, but not in Win98...the card works fine in 98 without changing a thing.

Good question to which probably only ATI knows the answer... Ben Myers

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:22:14 -0400, "BalloonKnot" <nospam@home> wrote:

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>> Power supply is one possibility. Another might be that the ATI tweak
>> tool allows you to increase the scan frequency and/or change the
>> resolution to something more pleasant... Ben Myers
>>

>The only settings I changed with the tweak tool were the clock settings for
>the video card. I had to lower the memory clock setting about 12Mhz to get
>the card to work well. I left the core clock speed setting alone.
>
>I'm really curious why I had to do this to get the card to work in Win2k and
>XP, but not in Win98...the card works fine in 98 without changing a thing.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
> Good question to which probably only ATI knows the answer... Ben Myers

ATI has not been of much help in troubleshooting this problem. I got my
help from an ATI user forum. I was just about ready to yank this card....

Thanks

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah, try swapping in a 300W PSU, it can't hurt, plus will prepare you for
future upgrades. A buddy of mine had a Radeon and swapping a PSU fixed his.
Funny though, he couldn't get his to work in 98 but it worked perfect in XP,
go figure.