What CPU and video card to max out Far Cry 3 at 1920X1080?

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hi,
What CPU and what video card and how much RAM would be required to max out Far Cry 3 on a 1920X1080 resolution and get at least 50-60 FPS on Windows 7 64 bit?

Rammy

Honorable
Any 2nd/3rd generation i7/i5/i3 (2***/3***) should do the job on the CPU front. On the AMD side, it's probably just going to be the FX8350/8320, though a 6300 might get the job done. Ram shouldn't be a concern really. Most people use 8Gb of decent speed in modern builds and that's already more than you "need" for stuff most of the time.

As for graphics, there isn't very much out there that will enable you to turn everything to maximum and still get 50-60fps.
This is from the Toms benchmarks, though since then driver updates will have helped a lot, latest Nvidia drivers reckon "up to 38% increased performance", take whatever you like from that statement.
High-1920.png

If you are happy to drop a few settings, pretty much all of the graphics cards on that list will get you 50-60fps at 1080P.

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Thanks, But the benchmarks you posted didn't include higher end cards like the 680 or 690 for instance, what about these? And as for the CPU would even some low end i3 max it out? What about the 2500K? and as for the RAM could you still tell me how much would be required to max it out?

Rammy

Honorable

The GTX680 will be a little above the GTX670, it's a very similar card (same chip and similar other specs).
The GTX690 should have no problems maxing it out, but then it's hardly a mainstream solution.

@ RAM, I have no idea. I'm sure 4Gb would be perfectly sufficient, like I say most people these days go for 8Gb as it's cheap.

Depending on the game, the CPU isn't especially well used. Most games use at best two cores, so any advantage from having 6 or 8 cores (or threads) is basically wasted. The intel core i7/i5/i3 line use similar tech, so in games there is little to choose between them. The high end k-series processors (like the 2500K you mentioned, and the slightly more modern 3570K) will pull ahead of their brethren after they are overclocked, but at stock speeds (in games) they are near identical to anything from the same family. If you are asking what the cheapest processor that can max out this game is, then it's likely to be a lowly i3 2100/3220 or an FX6300 matched up with a monster graphics card.
CPU-scaling.png

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/far-cry-3-performance-benchmark,review-32584.html

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Thanks, and I wasn't asking for a mainstream solution but for anything that can max out the game, so Could you post the benchmark for these high end cards? I'm sorry I'm new here I don't know where I can find them on my own. And also Don't most games use 4 cores? And that CPU benchmark was for running the game at medium settings, what about running it on ultra settings?

Rammy

Honorable

Yeah but I assumed your question was about the minimum requirement. GTX680SLI or a GTX690 are (close enough) the same thing and both should (in theory) be overkill. I don't know what realistic improvements the new drivers have had but if they are claiming "up to 38%", then it's likely to be significant, even if that figure is a little optimistic.

That's all the review had, but like I said it's all a bit outdated due to drivers. If you are looking for the minimum needed, then it'll be on that list anyway.

Some do. Most don't. I'm not suggesting you buy a dual core for a gaming machine, it doesn't make much sense given the direction that software is moving in, but if you are solely running a game, an i3 is almost as good as an i7.

It doesn't matter, the graphical scaling will only really relate to the graphics card. The CPU is doing basically the same task regardless of the level of graphical detail.

G

I hope this help your cause.

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/12/17/far_cry_3_video_card_performance_iq_review/

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
No one has really tested this, but i am absolutely sure two overclocked HD 7970's will have no problem maxing the game out.(Or any game for that matter)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131471&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Or you could also step down to GTX 670 SLI.
You won't feel the difference really.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=72414&vpn=VCGGTX670XPB&manufacture=PNY%20Technologies%20Inc&promoid=1338

As for the CPU, any Core i5 will do the job.Overclocked or not.
I reccomend the Core i5 3570K and 2500K because they can be overclocked if you feel the need for extra performance.

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Ok, Thanks!

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I have the lowly GTX 560 and I can run this game at a playable rate with all settings to Ultra, and Ambient Occlusion set to SSAO. If I lower the settings to very high I can get 40+, this is not a high end card nowadays. I would say with the current drivers you will be able to do ultra 60+ no problem with a 660 ti, maybe even with some AA. Just use SSAO, as HDAO puts adds some artifacts and weird shading issues on NVidia cards. With a 670 you might even be able to push 8x MSAA on Ultra with SSAO at 1080p, not sure if you'll get 60 fps, but it will probably be playable hovering around 35-40 fps.

TRENDING THREADS