Sign in with
Your question

Looking for AIW 9600 Pro cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2004 4:48:13 PM

The fan on my AIW 9600 Pro is dead and I'd rather just buy a good cooler for it than spend money shipping it to ATI and be without a computer for however long it takes for them to get it back to me. Are there any coolers you KNOW work with the AIW version? I bought the Vantec IceBerq 4 copper HSF, but there's a capacitor on the board preventing the heatsink from lying flat against the GPU. Please help! Thanks!

More about : aiw 9600 pro cooler

a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2004 2:29:06 AM

I have the same card. When it was new, I didn't like the noise the fan made, so I replaced the cooler. Here's what I used:
1. A passive cooler from an old Hercules card
2. A 40mm low speed CPU fan, screwed to the fans of that heatsink.

It's cool and nearly silent. Those 40mm CPU fans are thicker than video cooler fans, and the added thickness allows the bearings to prevent fan oscillation (buzzing).

The fact is that these cards don't require much cooling. Pick just about any video or chipset sink with the correct pin arrangement, add a fan, you're set.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 31, 2004 12:17:10 AM

quiet 40mm fan...you have a model number?

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2004 2:29:47 AM

Nothing that would be currently available, I have had dozens, perhaps hundreds of them, system pulls, mostly Sunon.

Most 40x40x10mm fans are very quiet and very resistant to oscilation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 11, 2004 6:02:54 PM

Here is a link that will give you a solution to installing the Vantec IceBerq on a Northbridge chipset where there were resistors in the way.

http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?ArticleID=1098

Check out the ThermalTake and Zelman Video coolers and fans.

Good luck.
!