Battlefield 3 Low FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hi, I have horrible lags in battlefield 3. my rig was purchased exactly 1 year ago and it was bought mainly for battlefield 3.
I'm running everything on LOW at 1920x1080 resolution.
The FPS is almost never above 60, and when it is, it doesn't feel like it. it's always choppy.
My card (560Ti) should be able to run this game on high with 50-60FPS, while i'm running it on low at 40-60.
My specs are:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 (125W) 3.2ghz
Scythe Mugen 3
Gigabyte GA-770T-D3L
Kingston 4x2GB 1333mhz
Gigabyte GTX560Ti Ultra Durable
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Silverstone Strider 600W PSU
I've been testing with prime95 for over 10 hours, no issues. I also defrag my HDD often and it's on 100% health according to perfectdisk 12.5.
What could be the problem? I've been asking everywhere for help but nobody seems to know what the issues is. if you have any idea, please tell me. i'm desperate.
Thank you.

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
on both large and small maps. not sure about the single player, but multi requires alot stronger pc to run which is why I bought mine.
on small maps with 32 players it's lagging, with 48~64 it's really unplayable.
I tried playing on 800x600 but the amount of FPS doesn't change (40-60).. it felt the same as 1920x1080.

antonisrsx

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
do you have tha latest drivers? did you try to reinstall the drivers to see if it helps?
also can you post your cpu and gpu temps while you are gaming?
also can you post the gpu usage while gaming?

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

I have the latest drivers for gpu/chipest/lan/sound, didn't try to reinstall them, but I've reinstalled windows and nothing has changed so..
Temps while playing are 50C max for CPU, 54C max for GPU.
GPU usage is Min: 12 - Max: 73 according to MSI afterburner after 15 minutes of gameplay (with lags ofc)
EDIT: after playing for another round, the max GPU usage is now at 94% max.

antonisrsx

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
so for some reason you can not get the full performance of your gpu. normally your gpu usage has to be 99-100%.. can you please try the single pkayer mode of bf3( that is not so cpu intensive) and post your gpu and cpu usgae??

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Nothing .. only origin which is part of the game.
I thought this CPU was good enough to run this game.

tenmantaylor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Guys, I've got a spanner to throw in the works here and i think its a software issue.

My Spec:
Asus GTX560Ti 1gb (currently on 310.90 drivers)
Quad Core Xeon 3ghz CPU
8gb Ram
Windows 7 64 Pro

Until recently I was on the 306 .xx drivers by nvidia and could get consistently 70-90fps on low/med settings and even min 30-40fps on high/ultra settings.

Problem occured when I upgraded to the 310 drivers, my fps is now completely unplayable averaging 10-15 fps, max 20 whatever the settings! It's unbelievable and have tried everything to fix it:

I've tried:

- Uninstalling all drivers
- force remove drivers with driver sweep
- installed all old drivers I've used over the last year or so (296, 301, 306 etc)
- tried all in game graphics options and settings one at a time
- tried all nvidia graphics options

And nothing has got my old performance back. Something software related seems to have changed drastically affecting performance since installing the latest nvidia drivers.

Now for the weird bit; whilst attempting to play with my new unplayable fps I realised my sound setting in game was on 'advanced stereo' so turned it off. Instantly my high fps came back. 90fps at damavand peak playing 30-40 people online. Unbelievable, I'd solved it! But no, next time I started the game up the performance was ruined again and back down to 15. How could one little setting kickstart the performance so drastically seemingly permanently only for it to revert? Needless to say this 'fix' didn't work next time or since.

At my wits end, have the hardware to play the game but it just won't perform anymore. Could understand a 10/20% drop in performance due to software but a 60-70% just doesnt make sense.

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Do you have another PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard? if so, put your card in there.. ive read somewhere that it worked for someone with a 560ti, he had the same problem as you

tenmantaylor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks, sounds a long shot but will try as do have a spare, it's a huge Dell T7400 case so surprised if it didn't.

aaaargh.png

PhysX causing it? The only portion of 310.xx drivers that cannot be uninstalled in any way I can see. You can see it won't allow install of ones from 306.xx as newer ones present even though I've manually removed them in add remove progs, driversweeper and deleting nvidia folders!

tenmantaylor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Doesn't have an extra PCI slot If it did the card wouldn't fit anyway as it is double slot height. What exactly would changing the slot achiive?

Now for some more mysterious goings on; Whilst trying (and failing) to grab some screenshots of the render performance overlay whilst the performance was low (20fps) my performance mysteriously jumped back up to 70-90fps and graph went from high, jumpy and peaky to low and smooth and scrolling along quicker! As if the gfx card went from a low setting to high setting, it switched back to how it was pre 310.xx. Then next time I started the game it was back to *** again.

There is something really wrong here and Nvidia need to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.