Stinkers of sticking sinks

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Ok.

Right to the point then. I've completely given up on the idea that I'll be able to find an affordable HSF for my GPU fan.

Summary:
-->
About a year ago, my GF4 fan started making stupid noises. I took it apart, but it broke. I replaced it with a bigger CPU fan, using just 2 screws. Looked clumsy & dumb, and could've fallen apart. But it too stopped sometimes (due to low quality). I wanted something that fits, so after several weeks of searching, I found one fan that fit perfectly. Was going good for a couple months. Then it started making noises again.
<--

I didn't want to spend US$35-$40 on a new HSF for my card, as I'll probably sell the entire system to someone else later. I have plenty of junk laying around, and I thought I'd make use of them instead.

I have this largish <A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/product_common_images/a464e28a69a7a1f376b7d198f3782d29.jpg" target="_new">Coolermaster</A> sink I think would work perfectly. Thing is though, it doesn't have pin holes, and I don't want to hurt myself making them either. I think I'll get some thermal adhesive, and slap the thing on.

My question is this, will it fall out due to it's weight? But now that I think about it, how exactly will it stay there from the start for the wax to melt? Plastic straps perhaps?

-----
Do not spit.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
That is probably a bad idea, but if you are going to do it, either use long zipties or string through the mounting holes.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Yea, zipties was what I was thinking of, thanks. Dont think I can tie anything through those holes, the sink is pretty big. I'm just concerned about the weight of the faker.

Guess I'll try it soon then, can't wait to wreak my junk!

-----
Do not spit.

TRENDING THREADS